Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Combat Survivor new pictures of the working version

ADVERTISEMENT
    Cool knife.Very innovative.However,a magazine is not a "clip". Not to bust your balls,You really shouldn't call a magazine a clip if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about.They are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by InfidelShootist View Post
    Cool knife.Very innovative.However,a magazine is not a "clip". Not to bust your balls,You really shouldn't call a magazine a clip if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about.They are not the same thing.
    OK, please explain the difference. Thanks in advance.

Mark Knapp
    Custom Knives Fairbanks, Alaska
    907-452-7477
    www.markknappcustomknives.com

Very cool knife. The fact that it's based on the 1911 just tickles me pink.

The difference between a clip and a magazine is somewhat pedantic but "gun people" get very upset about it.

A clip is used to load the magazine. The magazine feeds the gun. The gun may have a detachable magazine (like the vast majority of pistols) or an "integral" magazine like many bolt-action rifles have. That said, all gun people know what you're talking about when you say "clip", and non-gun people know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaunte View Post
    Very cool knife. The fact that it's based on the 1911 just tickles me pink.

The difference between a clip and a magazine is somewhat pedantic but "gun people" get very upset about it.

A clip is used to load the magazine. The magazine feeds the gun. The gun may have a detachable magazine (like the vast majority of pistols) or an "integral" magazine like many bolt-action rifles have. That said, all gun people know what you're talking about when you say "clip", and non-gun people know as well.

Got it, I thought it was going to be something like that. Now I gotta look up "pedantic", you gun people anyway. I've been around guns my whole life, used the words interchangeably. You learn something new everyday. I got some "pedantic" knife stuff that drives me crazy too. Thanks Mark

Mark Knapp
    907-452-7477

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by InfidelShootist View Post
    OK, I have changed the text to make it look like I really know what I am talking about. Thanks

Mark Knapp
    907-452-7477

Wow Mark. Holy Wow, that's what I'm talking about.

This one has action movie written all over it. You really gotta see about getting this knife in front of some movie people.

Quote Originally Posted by jeverettk View Post
    This one has action movie written all over it. You really gotta see about getting this knife in front of some movie people.
    I called Sly but he won't return my calls.

Thanks a lot guys, working on the working versions now.

Mark Knapp
    907-452-7477

Do you have to kill a whole frame for each one?

Or are you having just the mag wells produced from scratch ?

then what tig welded ?

I would say the OP provides plenty of info for you:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Knapp View Post
    I had some partners on this project. Caspian arms made the grip frames available to me at a reasonable price, Ken Jantz at Jantz Knife Supply made the blades for me to my specifications and donated ten for the NRA knives, and my friend Scott Hamann at Metal Magic in Kenai Alaska. was also very instrumental in the building of these knives.
    I hope I get to play with one of these some day. It would feel right at home balancing out the 1911 on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaunte View Post
    I would say the OP provides plenty of info for you:

I hope I get to play with one of these some day. It would feel right at home balancing out the 1911 on my hip.
    Ya, BJ I read that

If you don't know, why would you reply?

I wouldn't call that plenty of info, that's just a tease

What interests me is the details.

What I'm wondering is are they making a whole frame and then killing it and deregistering it as destroyed,
    or just running a portion of the programming to make only a magwell so it avoids the whole 80% completion rule

Canadian rules are different than US rules,
    but I still expect that your BATF is keeping track of production numbers and serial numbers & manufacturers aren't going to run afoul of that.

and

attaching 2 different alloys - a heat treatable frame and a 154CM blade & looks like seamlessly shows real skill and I'm curious how.

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    Ya, BJ I read that

If you don't know, why would you reply?

I wouldn't call that plenty of info, that's just a tease

What interests me is the details.

What I'm wondering is are they making a whole frame and then killing it and deregistering it as destroyed,
    or just running a portion of the programming to make only a magwell so it avoids the whole 80% completion rule

Canadian rules are different than US rules,
    but I still expect that your BATF is keeping track of production numbers and serial numbers & manufacturers aren't going to run afoul of that.

and

attaching 2 different alloys - a heat treatable frame and a 154CM blade & looks like seamlessly shows real skill and I'm curious how.
    Hey guys, thanks for the interest. The grip frames are never serialized so I never run crossways with BATF. In the near future I will be having my own frames made to reduce the amount of re-work, for the production run

The attachment is very technical, I had to jump through some hoops to get it to work. I'm getting pretty good at it, but I'm keeping the process close to my chest, for now. As you correctly surmised, TIG welding just won't work well because of the high carbon to low carbon thing, highly susceptible to cracking and drawing at the joint. The best support techs at the major welding supply places were hugely challenged by it, Miller, Harris, Welco etc.

I TIG welded a lot on the frame to plug all the holes in the original forging but not the blade-to-frame joint.

Thanks a lot Mark

Mark Knapp
    907-452-7477

Very innovative and cool but does it come in a beltfed configuration.

~Doug~

That is absolutely amazing! Phenomenal details....Three thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by d762nato View Post
    Very innovative and cool but does it come in a beltfed configuration.

~Doug~
    Belt-fed? Sorry, no but it is belt-carried.

Mark Knapp
    907-452-7477

Thanks guys, I am working on three to play with at Blade, I don't think I will be able to sell any though, I won't have the sheaths done yet.

Mark Knapp
    907-452-7477

I'm willing to bet that even without sheaths, you'll be robbed of these at Blade.

What did you say your name was Michaelangelo or was it Leonardo. Now that is thinking outside the Box! Nicely done!

Thanks a lot guys. The knives were a big hit at Blade. Thanks to everyone that came by and visited.

Mark Knapp
    907-452-7477

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information