Thread: Case / Tony Bose Slimine Trappers

Case / Tony Bose Slimine Trappers

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just wanted to share some pics of my latest knives. Last week I was able to score both a Case/Tony Bose 62048 and T.B621999, the original '99 Slimline Trapper with Chestnut bone scales/ATS-34 blades and the new Slimline Trapper with Dark Molasses bone scales/Damascus blades. Nice bone on both. The jigging is sharper on the chestnut. The molasess has more of the "pocket worn" feel. The molasses is slightly thicker than the chestnut. All blades were sharp but could use some stropping and some tip work. Good walk and talk on all the blades. Fit and finish on the molasses is better. The clip blade is slightly proud when closed, blades close center, and narry a gap. The knife seems to be more polished and be more rounded at the edges. Unforunately, the chestnut bone has some gaps at the pivot which gives the blades some side to side play. They're also not centered, to the point where they'll hit the line if I'm not careful closing them.
    For those of you who have worked with Case on warranty issues, is this something they can fix?

Those are nice looking knives, Trand.

I've only sent one knife back to Case for warranty work - a new yellow CV Mini Trapper on which the clip blade was rubbing the liner. It came back about half way between being centered and the liner ..... I asked for, and would have preferred centered, but at least it's not rubbing any more. Perhaps they would do better when working on a TB rather than just a "regular" knife.

Again, just one isolated instance here; I have heard lots of good regarding Cases' warranty work. Good luck & best wishes!

Those are some nice looking knives. Congrats on acquiring them. I've sent two knives in to Case for repair. One was to replace a scale on a 6265SAB, which they did an excellent job on. And, the other was to repair some delrin scales that had begun to warp on a slim line trapper. They did an excellent job on both knives. And, they even polished up the bolsters on both knives so they appeared new. I was very happy with their service and turn around time of only about 3 weeks. They were also very helpful in answering questions via email.

Hi Trand,
    I am in the middle of dealing with Case now, I wanted to go to them directly before I even put forward my problem (with a very nice ,and expensive knife).......so I cant real comment just yet on the service that Case give...but I most certainly will at the end-good or bad.
    The off-centered blades that cause rubbing to me is not acceptable from a establishment that advertises true quality....that along with the gapping and play in the blades would cause me to supply photos as well as a descriptive complaint to them, along with the recommendation that if it couldnt be corrected-then it be replaced.
    I absolutely love the trappers, and I think you have two very nice looking knives there...please keep us informed how you get on here-as this is a learning curb here for most.

edit..
    I forgot to mention...I wasnt entirely impressed with Case the way the e-mailing started after I explained the fault in the knife ( a broken spring!! ), minimal and un-detailed responces that cuased me to have to reply to ask of the next procedure step...to me this is a bad start, especially when I start the conversation very politely etc.
    Last edited by Campbellclanman; 04-21-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added comment
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

I should note that there are 12 years between these two knives being made. The slimline trapper was the very first Case/Tony Bose Collaboration knife - made in 1999. The molasses bone/damascus one was made in the last few months.

Great looking knives there, Trand! Nice score!

I have only sent one knife back to Case for repair. It was a 2006 NIB Congress that had a crack in the scale on the mark side that ran from bolster to bolster. I purchased the knife in May 2010. They sent me a little card in the mail that said my knife would be repaired and should be complete in 4-6 weeks. About 10 days later the repaired knife was in my mailbox.
    They did a very good job replacing the scale and a pretty good job matching the color (Aquamarine) considering the knife was made 4 years earlier.

Here's wishing you luck, Trand. I hope they fix er up good for you.
    Rick T.

Thanks guys. I sent an email to Case and probably should have waited until they had their say but with the anticipation and then seeing the issues... I guess I wanted to hear some good stories of repairs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zerogee View Post
    I should note that there are 12 years between these two knives being made. The slimline trapper was the very first Case/Tony Bose Collaboration knife - made in 1999. The molasses bone/damascus one was made in the last few months.
    Definitely aware of that. I wasn't collecting knives back in '99 so I'm not really aware of their fit and finish when they were new. It could just be that this one passed hands through the years because of the issues and may be the only reason I was able to grab it in the first place. I'd really like for Case to be able to fix it.

The C/B slimline that I bought back in '99 has none of those issues. It doesn't have any issues at all. One fine piece.
    Greg

Very elegant knives and congrats for your acquiring them. The Case TB is premium series, I believe you should call them.
    Mike

I sent in an AK hunter for repair. About a week later I received the knife back...at the same time I received a card telling me they received my knife and to expect it back in a week or two. That's quick service. The repair was excellent and unnoticable. It has held up for 2 years now.

I agree with the many aforementioned statement that for the price Case charges for their Tony Bose, a centered blade without side to side To side play is not too much to ask. Not that it needs to be centered to a perfect degree, but basically centered. HoPe you have gOod luck with their customer service, I know people should give manufacturers a chance but if they bothered to look at the knife when it was going out the door they would have seen these issues, but I do realize that Case has pretty decent QC, so on any company this size there can be aberrations.

And just as an aside beutiful blades, I really want to get the Damascus one, love how the scales look with the Damascus blade

Yes,that Damascus knife looks perfect.What a beauty!The other one should never have left the plant.Sorry,i cant add anything on the warranty aspect.Ive never sent one in.

Per "the other one should never have left the plant", don't forget that knife is 12 years old. We don't really know how it "left the plant."

Quote Originally Posted by brownshoe View Post
    Per "the other one should never have left the plant", don't forget that knife is 12 years old. We don't really know how it "left the plant."
    That's quite true.Its POSSIBLE the knife was used and cleaned back to excellent + condition.But it appears to me to be factory mint.They dont set in careful collections as this obviously was and the liners come apart and the blades go off center.There are too many perfect 50+ year old knives for that to be the case.My opinion is it left the factory just that way.JMO.That and $3.79 + tax might buy you a nice cup of coffee or a gallon of gas.

16. I love the jigging and color on that '99 slimline trapper.

I agree with the other folks..that damascus is a beauty!

Oh I agree it looks like it is mint, but then one never really knows the history of a knife. It could have gone out the "back door" of the factory The only sure thing is to buy new from a reputable dealer.

One thing to consider, if bought new with the problems, it didn't bother the original owner.

2Dead is just lucky that it's a case. They will fix any problem, no matter what the provenance of the knife. If it was a cammilus, schrade, lonewolf, northwoods, etc., those original companies are no longer in existence.

Thread Information