Thread: Amazing Propane Forge Burner.........

Amazing Propane Forge Burner.........

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was recienty introduced to an absolutely amazing forge burner. The maker, Stephen Gensheimer is an extremely talented machinist and Blacksmith. He has hundreds of these sold to the Blacksmithing Community which is where I found them. For comparison this burner was run side by side with the T-REX Burner and it outperformed it in every test. Extremely impressive!!

From the Maker:

The burners tend to run a neutral to slightly reducing flame throughout the pressure range and have been used to weld billets for hours at a time. The burner is made from drawn over mandrel tubing rather than common black pipe and is accurately drilled in a milling machine fixture before the interior of both the tubing and the holes are honed. The gas injector in these burners is fixture drilled to create a long smooth gas injection orifice before the rest of the injector body is drilled turned and tapped for the gas line fitting in a turret lathe. The two parts of the burner are tig welded together in a very precise fixture and then each burner is tested for function over a wide range of pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like Ron Reil's "mini-mongo" burner. No venturi flare up top. I think he termed it a "jet ejector" style burner.

I'd like to see one run, also what's the cost, or how to find out?
    Lovin' every minute...

Visit my Maker's Forum at Bladeforums.

Visit my website, http://www.prometheanknives.com

I've seen these burners in action. They are impressive to say the least. If I wasn't a such devotee of the forced air burner, I'd have one of Mr. Gensheimer's burners in a minute. They flat out beat anything I've seen for simplicity of setup and operation. One of my favorite features is that you can build a forge with a 1" hole saw being the only tool you need to cut that PITA tangental hole for the burner. Just take the outside pipe Stephen gives you, fit it to your forge shell and weld it on, then slide a 1" hole saw down inside and drill out the hole. Viola! Done!

Salem: I think they are ~$120 or so. I know a guy who I'm certain has his contact info. I'll drop him an email right now.

-d
    Last edited by deker; 05-04-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Yes, the style is a jet burner. The same type as those on your BBQ and gas stove.....just a bit bigger.

The principle is really simple:
    There is a hole through a piece of solid rod...the jet/orifice.
    There is a set of holes to allow air to be drawn in....the venturi port.
    A flare of some sort to make the flame mix and expand as it enters the chamber.

To build your own try a .030 hole for the orifice and use a set screw to position the jet in and out of the port area until it draws just the right amount of air. The orifice may need to be bigger or smaller depending on the burner size and other things.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Does anyone have contact information for Mr. Gensheimer?

Bill

Bill and Salem, These burners are $110 for one, $100 for two or more. Like Deker stated price includes Burner and Collar to mount to a new forge. Here is Steve's Email address: gendesign@comcast.net Drop him an Email and tell him Jim Levite refered you. He is a GREAT guy to talk to and do business with.

I just spoke with Steve. He is working on a large batch of burners at this time. He is gonna start test firing some starting tomorrow. Once they meet his standards, they will be ready for sale. I know there is quite a demand for them so Im sure they don't sit in his shop to long.
    Last edited by jll346; 05-04-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Thread Information