Thread: Best steel for machetes? O1, D2, simple carbon steels?

Best steel for machetes? O1, D2, simple carbon steels?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi everyone, what are your thoughts regarding steel for custom machete's? What is a good steel for this application?
    Thanks in advance.

1055, 1075, 1095, 5160. Spring steels, in general, are a good choice due to the length, thin stock, and high impact that machetes are subjected to.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Thanks for the reply, So simple steels are preferred? How about O1 and S7? Do these steels make good machete blades?

As long as the machete has an RC of around the low 50's you ought to be fine, I'm thinking. I don't know of any machetes using O1 or S7, but that doesn't mean they don't exist!

— Mervyn Peake

I wonder if RC is more important than the type of steel(within reason).

RC is not more important than the steel type...but the heat treatment as a whole is the single most important aspect with regards to non-design-related performance. A spring temper on a particular steel will vary from steel type to steel type, but as I understand it (and I could be way off the mark--I'm no expert metallurgist!) the low 50's tends to be the "zone." I know, at the very least, that's what most machetes are heat treated to.

— Mervyn Peake

Machetes are generally viewed as low cost, general purpose choppers. To me, toughness is more important than edge retention. This leads to simple alloys with medium carbon content. Low hardness does not always mean good toughness though. For steels like 4140, there is a peak in toughness when tempered in the low to mid 400 F range. Above that, toughness drops and doesn't regain the losses until tempered above 600 F or 700 F.

I'd maybe choose S7 for a custom, since 1055-1075 are used in many production machetes. O1 will work if that's all you have, though I think it really shines as a thin slicing knife steel. I personally would stay away from D2, but many Kershaw Outcast users are happy with it.

Thread Information