Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Fit and Finish - A Long Story

ADVERTISEMENT
    I couldn't agree with you more RevDevil. It's too bad that web pages don't yellow with age like paper does. This topic is getting old.
    Last edited by mossyhorn; 05-01-2012 at 07:38 AM.

I've never really been turned on by emerson but after reading this I'm pretty sure I'll never buy one. Allegedly having your knives used on ultra secret covert ops isn't an excuse to sell knives with problems that I would expect on a $15 walmart knife.

Wow still going, ok I've got plenty of spydercos and plenty of benchmades sitting in my safe right now but my Emerson's leave with me every day, for me it's that my dull and abused CQC 7 still functions perfectly and stabs like no other and my road house is still sharp as anything w/o being sharpened after a couple months of hard wear, and I'm not buying these knives because X unit used them I'm buying them because they have a history of being reliable in the worst places, between my two they have been filled with mud, cut metal, gone for several swims and more and everything works, I couldn't care less if the handle scales don't line up 100% the opening is gritty so? Take it apart and clean it these knives are really user friendly and if
    You don't see a reason to own one or think we are stupid for doing so how about you get off the Emerson knives sub forum??
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Talley1013 View Post
    I've never really been turned on by emerson but after reading this I'm pretty sure I'll never buy one. Allegedly having your knives used on ultra secret covert ops isn't an excuse to sell knives with problems that I would expect on a $15 walmart knife.
    Don't be naive. You should give it a try yourself before you make a decision. Who cares they have been used or haven't been used by super-secret-ninja-ops. Once you handle one, you'll understand.

[QUOTE=Talley1013;10814270]I've never really been turned on by emerson but after reading this I'm pretty sure I'll never buy one. Allegedly having your knives used on ultra secret covert ops isn't an excuse to sell knives with problems that I would expect on a $15 walmart

I own 2 and love them both, i didnt realize that my Emersons where for ”ultra secret covert ops”, probably because Emerson never does any marketing/advertising, but now that you have enlightened me i feel kind of dangerous now...hehehe... Good thing your not going to ever buy one, maybe there will be more for those that appreciate a fine piece of American craftsmanship to actually find a store that isnt sold out.

I dont care for certain brands (like CRK for example) but i dont go to their sub forum and waste my time and or complain about it, WTF. I guess some folks just feel the need to stir the pot.

Guess this thread is titled ”a long story” for a reason.

Some people have nothing else going on in their life and find nothing more productive to do LOL
    Don't you know I like knives?

I wish that I was a MOD so I could lay this thread to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.F. View Post
    You can always go to the OP and report it. Maybe a Mod will be merciful. I'll go first - right now.

Well... I had no plans to add an Emerson to my collection any time soon, but after reading Mr. Emerson's post... I'm definitely interested in giving one a shot, and seeing what they are about.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.F. View Post
    Ernie Emerson himself started this thread, bit rude to delete it don't you think?

I have owned a lot of Emersons and have never had one issue with any of them. They are solid performers and built for business. The only problem I have had with an Emerson was my last one because I gave it to a friend that was going to police academy as a good luck token and she lost it... I should have kept it. I’ll grab a new one soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptIvanDanko View Post
    Ernie Emerson himself started this thread, bit rude to delete it don't you think?
    Not delete it, close it or sticky it (better). Hey why doesn't EE buy an upgraded membership? I was very surprised to go to the OP and find out that he wrote it.

I own several of the Emerson Karambits (Combat & Super). I purchased both of them new from Prestige dealers! Both had to be disassembled & cleaned (action was very gritty). All had left over metal shavings in the action. The washers also had to be replaced to smooth out the action. I purchased the blades because of the wave opening feature & the grind of the blades (those features attracted me). For the price that it commands, a good fit & finish is expected. I like my karambits now that it's been thoroughly cleaned & action smoothed out. However, I was let down to have received knives (new knives) in that condition. For the price, a buyer expects a clean knife. I own a Chris Reeve & a Strider as well, & I must say that their fit & finish were far from the Emersons. I will never purchase another Emerson again. For the price point, there are many other quality knife makers out there who will take the time to ensure that the knife fits well, the finish is up to par, leave the factory clean, & free of metal shavings. I mean no disrespect to Mr. Emerson & his accolades, but one can't rest on accolades alone. Just my 2 cents.

Well said! I agree 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by swmi View Post
    Well said! I agree 100%!
    Did you just agree 100% with yourself?
    Buy my book! Amazon: Kindle: Barnes and Noble:

I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

Quote Originally Posted by stabman View Post
    Did you just agree 100% with yourself?
    Think he did. He must really be serious about it all.

I would be more concerned if he did not agree with himself.

Can't believe this thread is still going. I've bit my tongue for months on this subject but now i'll spill my beans:

Disclaimer: I own 3 emerson knives and love/use 2 of them regularly for edc.

Fit and finish on emersons is sub par for the price and even for current industry standards. Its a shame... maybe shame is too strong of a word so lets call it a "bummer" that mr. emerson is too stubborn to do anything about this or even address the issue publicly with words that actually have bearing on the subject. While his stories and pedigree are great, its disappointing to me, as a willing and enthusiastic customer, that mr. emrson wholly ignores the requests of 90% of his customer base who EDC his products in every day situations.

I feel bad saying that but its true. I'm sorry to mr. emerson that I have to address it this way and I mean no disrespect -- I enjoy your knives but they are NOT up to current industry standards with regard to fit and finish and you should address this as requested by nearly everyone. Also the condition your knives come from the factory does negatively affect performance, in my experience.

That being said I own three emersons and I whole-heartedly love and use two of them. But only after serious cleaning, disassembly, polishing and G-10 filing after receiving them from the factory (something I have never had to do with ANY other knife). They are great knives and I really love the no nonsense no frills functionality of them but he market is competitive and getting more-so every year. The current 'attitude' does not inspire confidence for forward progress in the future. I don't like seeing emersons getting bashed and while I love mine, im getting tired of defending them.

tl;dr I'll buy more, but emerson needs to address f&f issues.
    Last edited by CLE; 05-09-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Good points made.
    I also like my CQC-15 for what it is...a hard use knife.
    However, it doesn't hold a candle to other quality folders in that price range.

hi anybody
    am new member in this site. and i love emerson knives.In may EDC have horseman every where.
    **love it use it emerson knives***
    regard
    yutham969 from Thailand.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information