Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping without a fire

Camping without a fire

ADVERTISEMENT
    Alright Beckerheads, my family and I are going camping this next weekend and had it planned for months now. We are currently in a stage 2 fire ban.

STAGE II

The following acts are prohibited until further notice:

Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, coal or wood burning stove, any
    type of charcoal fueled broiler or open fire of any type.

Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.

Using explosive material: (ie: fireworks, blasting caps or any incendiary device which may result
    in the ignition of flammable material.)

Welding, or operating an acetylene or other similar torch with open flame.

Operating or using any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly
    installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either:

Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1a; or

Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335 (b) and J350 (a).

Operating a chainsaw without a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher of not less than 8 ounces capacity by weight, and one size 0 or larger round pointed shovel with an overall length of at least 36 inches. The extinguisher shall be with the chainsaw operator. The shovel may be kept with the fueling supplies but readily available.

Other possible restricted acts under Stage II

Operating a motorized vehicle off designated roads and trails.

Operating a chainsaw outside the hours of 5:00 am and 11:00 am.

Overnight camping limited to listed campgrounds and recreation sites. (An attachment of designated sites would be included)

Possible Exemptions

Persons with a written permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or
    omission.

Any Federal, State or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting
    force in the performance of an official duty.

Mechanical stoves and appliances fueled by bottled or liquid gas which allow the operator
    to control and extinguish the flame with a valve are permitted provided that such devices are approved by Underwriters Laboratory Inc.

So basically, no open fires. We can cook with a camp stove and use a propane heater but that's about it. It's a serious bummer for sure and my main concern is the family keeping warm at night. I'm expecting the night temps to dip to 30-40 degrees. Aside from layers and dressing warm, any suggestions? We've also been have daily afternoon showers and day temps hitting the 90's. Thoughts?

Hot hand packs, if your worried about the familia. In a good sleeping bag, they will keep you warm, easily.

Place near the highest blood flow areas, I like in the socks/boot tops, pockets, and chest area.

I had to do this a few times this early spring, I got my butt froze hanging in a hammock.

Good luck, bro, let us know how it turns out.

Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

Good idea. I was REALLY looking fwd to chopping wood with my BK2. Not saying I still can't, but it would be a little pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty923 View Post
    Good idea. I was REALLY looking fwd to chopping wood with my BK2. Not saying I still can't, but it would be a little pointless.
    Yeah. I know what you mean. I'm a fire junky, I always build, if there is a burn ban on here, I just use the outdoor fireplace. During the winter, I use a wood burning stove, so, I get to make alot of fires.

Moose

I grill every chance I get. Maybe next time I'll use a wood drill, or not. I think the fire speaks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty923 View Post
    I grill every chance I get. Maybe next time I'll use a wood drill, or not. I think the fire speaks to me.
    We called it primitive TV. I can watch a fire and whittle for hours, and never feel the time pass. Weird how that works.

Moose

+1 for the heat packs.
    also make sure everyone is insulated from the ground with a foam mat or some of that foil backed bubble wrap.
    Another trick I've used in the mountains is to bring a big plastic tarp that gets set up over the tent as a second rainfly type thing -- this will hold in a lot of heat at night.
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

well, pretend it's Winter

wear layers. synthetics or wool is nice in case you're sweating/wet before going to bed (or get that way)

wear socks, gloves, *and* hats, if not a face gator was well. yup. i always have a hat when camping out in my hammock/tent nest.

if you're sleeping bags are not up to par, get bag liners, and possibly even space blanket bivys. real bivy bags would be awesome too. if really needed, nest two sleeping bags together.

if possible, zip into another sleeping bag and share

bring ground cover - pads, the more the merrier, stay off the ground, it robs temps.

goto bed early, get up early.

there's no shame in a Motel or sleeping in the car - i've been on several trips the last week weeks up here in the great north, and people had to do just that, too windy, too cold, too wet - bad stuff happens. have a bail out plan.

good luck! have fun!
    Bladite

'''Has full plans for zombie apocalypse, no idea what he's doing TUESDAY'''

Becker Forum. PSSSSST, hey buddy, wanna read the List of Lists? or the Becker forum Rules/FAQ?
    Perhaps check out the Becker Blade Database? Lots and LOTS of often asked for information yonder

Quote Originally Posted by moosez45 View Post
    We called it primitive TV. I can watch a fire and whittle for hours, and never feel the time pass. Weird how that works.

Moose
    We always called it caveman tv. Love staring into a fire.

Camping without a fire is just sleeping outside.

This is why my sleeping bag is rated down to -40F. Its a full size that acts like a mummy bag at the head but is full sized from top to bottom. Mummy bags scare me. I can't move.

Make sure you have a good wind block for the tent. Maybe tie a couple extra tarps on the wind side. Once your family gets inside the tent, it will warm up a little from the body heat. Have everyone snuggle like puppies and you will be warm. I spend most of my camping in the fall through the spring.

That stinks man, Camping without fire! You could build a small ranger fire or something once it starts to get dark. depends on how likely you are to get caught. Should be pretty hard to see in the dark provivded you do it right.

As far as keeping warm goes, insulate from the ground and add layers. If you get too cold go sleep in the car and turn the heat on. done that a few times.

i would also advice a high fat meal before bed. like pemmican, or a few ounces of olive oil or butter fuels the internal fires.
    Bladite

'''Has full plans for zombie apocalypse, no idea what he's doing TUESDAY'''

Becker Forum. PSSSSST, hey buddy, wanna read the List of Lists? or the Becker forum Rules/FAQ?
    Perhaps check out the Becker Blade Database? Lots and LOTS of often asked for information yonder

I will add that with no fire the bugs can get a little more plentiful make sure you prepare with whatever protection you prefer. just sayin

I'll have to agree with bladite, just 'pretend' its winter.. this will make the experience more fun without a campfire, I'd have battery lanterns or something surrounded by mirrors to give me the roasting smores on an open fire effect...

bummer how dry its been this summer, (oooh, a poet) trees around here are starting to go dormant because there's been little water, also some lakes that don't get stream fed are like 7' low...

otoh, camping here right now there's ZERO threat of hypothermia at night
    BeckerHead #13

"I am not a Number, I am a Free Man"- Maiden

"The moments we share today, Inspire the stories we tell tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Creek Knives View Post
    otoh, camping here right now there's ZERO threat of hypothermia at night
    Same here, I can't actually sleep when its this hot at night. Sweat rollin' off, humidy too much, some times its nice sit by a fire for the dry air.

Moose

In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    snuggies? snuggling? jk +10 on the heat packs if it gets that cold, even like hand warmers tucked inside a sleeping bag gives of tons of heat and lasts for 8 hours.

Have cocoa, tea, coffee, or other hot drinks to help keep warm inside, especially in the mornings. A hot cup warms the hands and the body.
    Hats and boots! If you can keep your feet and head warm, it helps the rest of your clothing perform as it should. Clothing that fits, lots of people wear baggy pants and coats. The extra air space inside the clothing is useless in cold weather. I've had nice boots that didn't insulate me from the ground, I'd stand or sit on my Ridgerest pad, instead of the ground.
    Do your tents have lots of mesh? That's great for warm weather, but cover most, not all, of the mesh with some other fabric. A winter tent might be overkill, but a convertable 3-season tent would be optimal. Mine has some extra fabric that zips in to cover most of the mesh. Yes, it makes it warmer. Like said, block any wind, extra tarp or make a lean to. There's where you get to chop some wood!
    Have fun!

Put a slab of butter in your hot chocolate before bed.

I have done alot of canoe camping, canoes are great because they hold alot of gear including generators. Some years are hot and dry with fire bans posted. When fires can't be lit the generator is perfect for cooking, lighting and a plug in space heater comes in handy for drying gear from rough waters, and for warming the tent at night- this is really handy late in the fall during hunting trips.

As it turns out the fire ban was lifted on Friday. It worked out great as right after we got set up on Thursday, it was pouring rain and wouldn't have time for a fire anyway. My BK2 got some use this weekend splitting wood and some general cutting duties. Great stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information