Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: SRM, Bee, Enlan, Navy and knives Fan post

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris "Anagarika" View Post
    A picture paints a thousand words indeed. EL02 looks like a monster in comparison despite only 8mm longer in blade length. Many thanks, and as usual, you take very nice picture!!

I try to stay away from Navy but this one is too nice & fit my need for office use. Some people are freaked out with EL02 and sometimes even with SRM763 .

Will get one, with EL08 (more monster ). Hope they come ok, not lemons.
    You're welcome!
    The K611 has an exceptional good fit and finish I hope Navy will keep up this high standard on their other models too.
    Will you wave the EL08 too?
    Last edited by vortex; 10-14-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Perhaps .... If time permits

This year I bought and tested another several chinese made pocket knives. So far I'm pleased with the price/value ratio, they seemed all fine for work and EDC.

First, my absolute favourite, the Enlan EL04MCT. After a little break in (the Axis-clone needed a little break-in), this is the best chinese knife I've ever owned.

After that, I got an Enlan EL-08. It's a big, sturdy framelock knife - for daily use, ist' a bit too big to me, and the framelock is rather hard to use. For working purpose, almost as good as my other favourite, the EL-01.

I bought a CB EL-01 version too - it needed also a little break-in, and the G10 were not so perfect as on my other black EL01s. But it's also a dedicated "tank-skinner".

Some of our forumites said that Ganzos has better Axis than Enlans, and some asked if there were any usable chinese folders with tanto blade. So I bought a Ganzo to check it out.
    It looks like a Sog Aegis Tanto copy, but with Axis. It's a nice piece of steel, but it has some flaws: blunt edge out of box, and the Axis bar wasn't perfectly worked out. (It needed some dremellin'... )

Now it's working as I could expect, but I must say Enlans has better price/value ratio.

At last, I tested also the newer full black Spyderco Tenacious. Altought it's a little pricy (compared to the native chinese folders ), the quality is excellent, and it withstood some serious punishment too.

I just got these knives in the mail about four days ago. I have been playing with them and having tons of fun. They are all made by the chinese company of Ganzo and I know that two of them are blatant rip offs but for the price that I got them I could not pass them up.

The first one that I'm gonna show is the Ganzo G710. It is a copy of the Benchmade 950 Rift.

This is the smoothest knife EVER!!! It feels like someone smeared butter all over all the internals. Seriously though there is not blade play and It will fall with gravity when the lock is released.

The next one is the Ganzo G704. This is a copy of the Benchmade 14205 HK collaboration.

This is the most comfortable knife in the world! I love the shape of the handle. It fits my hand amazingly. This took a little time to break in but once it was broken in it works great.

The last one is the Ganzo g707. I just got this because I wanted to try it. There is a little bit of side to side play that I cant get out. The blade flies out of those handles with a vengeance!

All in all I would buy the 704 and the 710 again. They are very well built knives for the price and will have no problem with them in the edc roll. I think I may beat on the 704 just to see what it can handle! Oh and I don't know why the pictures are not showing up can someone help with that?
    Last edited by 1989JeepYJ; 10-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Hey all, I'm new here...very happy to have found this corner of the internet.

Briefly, I've got an SRM 710 on the way...no brainer.

I also know I need to pick up an EL-01. However, I'd like it branded Enlan and not the childish Bee logo.

I'll take it in black, but I'd like it in GY, and like it even more in KH. Can anyone refer to an affordable supplier that has ENLAN branded EL01's for cheap shipping to the US? I'd appreciate the info...I don't see many ENLAN on ebay and the other "main seller" I know of seems a little pricy.

ALSO, I'd like to know what are some of the smallest/lightest/best quality of these chinese folders? I do some long hiking and I'd love to have a tiny powerhouse that hides away easily and doesnt add much weight to the load.

THANK YOU - YOU GUYS RULE

Quote Originally Posted by guyute View Post
    Hey all, I'm new here...very happy to have found this corner of the internet.

Briefly, I've got an SRM 710 on the way...no brainer.

I also know I need to pick up an EL-01. However, I'd like it branded Enlan and not the childish Bee logo.

I'll take it in black, but I'd like it in GY, and like it even more in KH. Can anyone refer to an affordable supplier that has ENLAN branded EL01's for cheap shipping to the US? I'd appreciate the info...I don't see many ENLAN on ebay and the other "main seller" I know of seems a little pricy.

ALSO, I'd like to know what are some of the smallest/lightest/best quality of these chinese folders? I do some long hiking and I'd love to have a tiny powerhouse that hides away easily and doesnt add much weight to the load.

THANK YOU - YOU GUYS RULE
    Welcome. The number one place to buy is probably exduct.com, though most of the Chinese drop shipping sites will carry a few models. Exduct has proven to be pretty reliable, though.

As for small and light, the SRM 763 comes to mind immediately. The G10 handle version is 2 ounces on the dot for a 2 3/4" blade, grippy G10 handles and a credible implementation of the axis lock and it's completely ambidextrous. It also has a built in bottle opener - what else could you want? Of all the models I've handled of the bigger Chinese brands (Enlan, Navy, Tekut, SRM, Ganzo) the 763 is far and away my favourite.
    Another choice is the SRM 681, which is a Zytel-handled knife but that one is harder to find.
    The 605 is quite small as well.

I have several Sanranmu's, but my favorite is the Navy K628 I have. It's solid and a bit heavy, but not bad. From what I understand, it's made in the same factory as Chinese Spydercos, but feels better than my Ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by like em sharp View Post
    Another choice is the SRM 681, which is a Zytel-handled knife but that one is harder to find.
    The 605 is quite small as well.
    +1 on that 681. It was one of the first Sanrenmus I got and helped get me hooked. Small, strong, sharp and good looking - I need to get more .

Quote Originally Posted by Grandelfe View Post
    I would make the assumption that if someone is not clever enough to tighten this simple little bolt, with ready at hand, or homemade tools..Not Smart enough to carry a Knife.I would then recommend a Bread knife for EDC.
    This made me chuckle......

I just ordered a couple of EL-01's, can you guys suggest a good way to adjust the pivot on those knives? Thanks in advance.

The older one with holes can be adjusted using snap ring pliers, or paper clip with the help of the knife's clip hole (somewhere in this thread, earlier pages).

New one that is curved & requires the special tool, I have no idea except cutting a notch to make it flathead screw.

Welcome to the low cost addiction! Tell us how the steel hold up vs your higher end knives

Quote Originally Posted by filedog View Post
    This made me chuckle......
    What made me chuckle was that the very next post was from yet another buyer wanting to know how to adjust one of these proprietary pivots.

When I bought the Enlan EL-08 recently, I reluctantly paid extra for the special pivot tool.

Guess what? The tool is worthless, just turns and turns.

These folders may be inexpensive, but who wants a knife you can't adjust because the designer uses non-standard pivots?

The older one with holes can be adjusted using snap ring pliers, or paper clip with the help of the knife's clip hole (somewhere in this thread, earlier pages).

New one that is curved & requires the special tool, I have no idea except cutting a notch to make it flathead screw.

Welcome to the low cost addiction! Tell us how the steel hold up vs your higher end knives
    Thanks for the welcome! Yeh, I'm looking forward to getting the knives. Tracking shows that they are in country already.

So there are different kinds of pivots? I was looking at the the ones with multiple holes.

Quote Originally Posted by singularity35 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Yeh, I'm looking forward to getting the knives. Tracking shows that they are in country already.

So there are different kinds of pivots? I was looking at the the ones with multiple holes.
    Yeah, I guess it went through 2-3 kinds of pivot.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.c. View Post
    For those frustrated with the 3 or 5 hole pivot:

I was able to remove the pivot using the pocket clip and some push pins. The holes for the clip are positioned similarly enough with the pivot holes to make a little custom wrench. I clipped the sharp ends off the tacks but left enough so that there was enough play to accommodate for the imperfect congruency. Worked great.

I recently got a small pair of snap ring pliers that has several sets of tips.
    Got 'em at the store that sells lots of chinese tools, cost around $4.
    I will let you know how they work - looks like they should though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAVR4-XfEh4
    Last edited by filedog; 10-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Well, I read the WHOLE thread.....whew! Despite some shortcomings, I'm intrigued.
    Enough of a "tinkerer" to give these a shot, and if problems occur, not a big outlay.
    Got an Enlan El01KH, EL02 (micarta),EL04mct, and EM01. Also a SRM707.
    Ordered a couple from a US dealer, and the rest from various ebay sellers.
    Interested to see these axis lock folders. We'll see how it goes!

Just got the EL08, SRM 710 and Navy k611. All good, sharp & quite centered, no blade play in any direction. SRM 710 is sharpest out of the box, but all sliced paper nicely, though not very smoothly.

The biggest surprise is EL08. It doesn't fly open when flicked but super velvet (rather than silky) smooth opening & closing. Very very nice & satisfying. For the price, it's a better choice than Navy k631. Next surprise is the lockbar thickness. It is thick and solid, period.

No pic yet, and nothing I can add that hasn't been posted before.

Chris - that knife really looks great! Tell us what you think of the weight when you have carried it a while.

filedog and Chris,

I really like the EL-08 as well (one of my two anyway) but it feels like too much to pocket-carry.

By comparison, the similarly-sized BM Triage doesn't feel too heavy, for some reason.

The triage has skeletonized liners and weighs 5 oz.
    The Enlan weighs 6.8!

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread Information