Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condor Golok or Condor Parang?

Condor Golok or Condor Parang?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm looking for companion to my 3.5" puukko-style knife for camping/bushcrafting use. I'd be using it for firewood prep, shelter building, site clearing, and game butchering, probably in that order. I'm far enough north that an axe is the better choice, but I like big knives better and in the summer that's what I prefer.

I'm looking at both the Condor Golok and Parang. I haven't used either one, but I'm looking for a tool with about 14" blade length so I would probably cut down the Parang if that's what I chose. I'd like something that chops well but is also versatile, and not too heavy/bulky.

both are great choppers.
    both do a great job at clearing small stuff out of the way on the trail.
    the Golok is a bit faster in hand, the parang has more reach.
    To me, the main selling point for the parang over the golok is the added reach, so if you're just going to cut it down to 14" anyway, go for the Golok.
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Just get the Golok, if you want 14". It is a great tool. It chops pretty good, and it does machete tasks pretty good for the thickness of it, although it is tapered, so that helps quite a bit. Either way, enjoy the product

I got the Parang last week I haven't used it yet but I got it to trim small tree branches.

For chopping thicker wood I think the Golock might be better.

The narrowest part of the Parang blade neear the handle is only 13/16ths wide.

BTW, the fit anf finsh are excellant.

Quote Originally Posted by DRodent View Post
    I
    The narrowest part of the Parang blade neear the handle is only 13/16ths wide.
    ...but 1/4" thick. You forgot that part.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Any thoughts on which profile/geometry is more useful? I like parang's profile; it look like it would be the better chopper. But the golok's handle looks better for snap-cuts with the wrist.

And no, I'm not getting both. Don't tempt me!

Yes you are! You just don't realize it yet.

The parang is better for brush clearing, but the golok would be handier with shelter/firewood prep.

— Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by tychoseven View Post
    I'm far enough north that an axe is the better choice, but I like big knives better and in the summer that's what I prefer.
    In my personal opinion, the axe is NOT the better choice. An axe is the tool to use for dedicated felling and splitting, but it absolutely sucks at clearing brush. Machetes can fell and split if need be, but will also clear grasses, brambles, woody plants, and other such lighter targets. These are the targets that you usually actually have to clear. They work very well for shelter building as well.

— Mervyn Peake

I've always preferred a big knife to an axe for this reason. An axe is unsurpassed for splitting and felling but I find them awkward for pretty much everything else. Some guys are born with a hatchet between their teeth and can use their axe to carve spoons, skin deer, and trim their hedges , but I'm not one of them.

BTW, I'm going with the Golok. No doubt I'll end up with the Parang as well...but not today .

If you get the Golok now, you'll want the parang later on. If you get the parang, you will want the Golok. (I have one, want the other, too)

As for the Axe, if I was in Canada, there'd be no doubt in my mind I'd have an axe. But not in place of the larger blade, but as a compliment. I love using large blades, but bigger trees are easier with an axe. (From a big knife guy myself)

I freely admit that I am not that skillful with a hatchet. I miss my mark a lot and I think the possibility of hurting myself is higher - especially if hypothermic or stressed in some other way. Batoning a large blade seems safer and more precise to me. I am going to get a golok and try that for awhile to see if I am right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
    If you get the Golok now, you'll want the parang later on. If you get the parang, you will want the Golok. (I have one, want the other, too)

As for the Axe, if I was in Canada, there'd be no doubt in my mind I'd have an axe. But not in place of the larger blade, but as a compliment. I love using large blades, but bigger trees are easier with an axe. (From a big knife guy myself)
    Exactly my thoughts--I love axes for sure and think they have a valuable place, especially for longer-term survival (AKA living life in general!) as they're powerful tools for working thicker wood. But when in a short-term situation, whether camping, hiking, or couple-of-weeks-long survival, a chopper will get you through 99% of anything you might want to accomplish, even if you have to work a little harder sometimes.

— Mervyn Peake

The Parang s mine my buddy owns the Golok.( used to be the other way around until we traded.) Mustard Vinegar patina.

Gorgeous work on those!

— Mervyn Peake

Beautiful work, WJC01! I may have to do something similar. I'm already planning to convex the bevel and bring it back a bit for deeper biting; I may strip the coating while I'm at it.

I got'em both ! I have been wearing the Golok on my belt the last few trips to the bush...I like it ! I haven't got a sheath for the Parang yet(my next purchase). Both are good knives & you won't go rong with either....You will end up with them both anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by coaldigger View Post
    I got'em both ! I have been wearing the Golok on my belt the last few trips to the bush...I like it ! I haven't got a sheath for the Parang yet(my next purchase). Both are good knives & you won't go rong with either....You will end up with them both anyway !
    Same

Got both, I cut down the parang 3" or so

I have grown to prefer the golok, I think given your needs your would find the same

I ordered a golok yesterday. I think it will be great for yard work around the house as well as for fun.

I too ordered mine yesterday. I'm already champing at the bit here! I haven't been this excited, or impatient, to take delivery of a knife for a long time. And I was clearing brush and saplings yesterday...it would have been perfect.

The more I read about these goloks the worse it gets...Condor clearly has put a lot of thought into the design of this one. I was concerned that the balance of the new full-tang models would be different because of the extra weight at the butt, but Joezilla I think mentioned that they were skeletonizing the tang to keep the balance point the same.

I don't think most manufacturers would do this, because it's extra expense to drill out the tang, regardless of how that decision affects the balance and handling of the knife. Balance may not be important to most "normal" people, but for me it's a crucial factor given the intended use of the the knife. I'm glad to hear that somebody is paying attention to these these variables and making decisions based upon function and not just the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by tychoseven View Post
    I too ordered mine yesterday. I'm already champing at the bit here! I haven't been this excited, or impatient, to take delivery of a knife for a long time. And I was clearing brush and saplings yesterday...it would have been perfect.

The more I read about these goloks the worse it gets...Condor clearly has put a lot of thought into the design of this one. I was concerned that the balance of the new full-tang models would be different because of the extra weight at the butt, but Joezilla I think mentioned that they were skeletonizing the tang to keep the balance point the same.

I don't think most manufacturers would do this, because it's extra expense to drill out the tang, regardless of how that decision affects the balance and handling of the knife. Balance may not be important to most "normal" people, but for me it's a crucial factor given the intended use of the the knife. I'm glad to hear that somebody is paying attention to these these variables and making decisions based upon function and not just the bottom line.
    Yup! The feel in the hand is kept the same due to skeletonizing the tang.

— Mervyn Peake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information