Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stonewash knives

How to stonewash knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi I want to know what I need to stonewash do I need a tumbler or something links would be very
    helpfull thank you for your time.

Solo put gravel, soap, water and the blade in a thick plastic jar and put it in the washer or dryer which gave the blade a light stonewash. Most are done with a tumbler and ceramic media I believe though.

Quote Originally Posted by xmtgx View Post
    Solo put gravel, soap, water and the blade in a thick plastic jar and put it in the washer or dryer which gave the blade a light stonewash. Most are done with a tumbler and ceramic media I believe though.
    I thought the used tumblers and media like I use in cleaning cartridge cases, alter the medial to get the finish you want??

Try over in the knife makers section.

I tried Solos method with varying degrees of success. First you darken the blade with Ferric acid then put the blade in a jar with some rocks and shake away. There is a big thread over on USN with some other guys results. Here is what my three knives look like after I was done with them.

To do it with a tumbler would I just need a rock polisher or brass tumbler like from harbor fright and ceramic and where do you buy the ceramic from?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerdude141 View Post
    To do it with a tumbler would I just need a rock polisher or brass tumbler like from harbor fright and ceramic and where do you buy the ceramic from?
    If you can find a jewlery making supply store specifically, they carryeverything you need to tumble. Including various kinds of media, tumblers, and other useful information.

Ok thank you

Quote Originally Posted by RevDevil View Post
    If you can find a jewlery making supply store specifically, they carryeverything you need to tumble. Including various kinds of media, tumblers, and other useful information.
    Thanks man - "jewlery making supply store" sounds expensive!

I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself, more then stonewashed it comes out looking like its just been scrapped along the road behind a truck for a couple miles on each sides...

Send it to a company or knife maker that will professionally do it for you... its worth the money instead of ruining your blade.. but thats just my 2 cents if it matters at all..
    "Live for nothing, or die for something."- John Rambo

E-mail me at aaj4000@yahoo.com

Thank you all for all your info

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cziv View Post
    Thanks man - "jewlery making supply store" sounds expensive!
    Not at all. They do sell gold and silver sheets, rods, hollow tubes, etc. Jut about anything to solder or braze anykind of gold and silver jewlery. I used to make jewlery when I was a teenager, that is how I know they sell the stone for stonewashing.

Do you need ceramic beads or cone shaped and etc

I have an industral "tumbler" at my shop with new ceramic media, if you would like send me your blades and I will stone wash them free of charge.....sans shipping of course!!!!
    QUOTE BY Mike Fitz: "Some people shouldn't own anything sharper than a marble"
    QUOTE BY RWS: "Knives must have style and knives need to have a classy look to be any good."

Do you have a business website for me to check out.

Do you have a business website for me to check out.

Nope......no business website, just this:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-Bead-Blasting......
    QUOTE BY RWS: "Knives must have style and knives need to have a classy look to be any good."

Wow never thought I would met people as nice as you what's your email sir

krismit (at) comcast (dot) net

Tch your asome the stonewash is great I'll put pics on your thread ASAP

Tch your asome the stonewash is great I'll put pics on your thread ASAP

Glad you like it

Blog Entries
    I tried the rocks from the driveway thing just for fun and it didn't work out so well. A small rock tumbler filled with ceramic media is the way to go!

I should delete the homemade stonewash video, it was a fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information