Thread: Schrade walden 165 uh

Schrade walden 165 uh

ADVERTISEMENT
    HELLO TO ALL, I HAVE AN OLD SCHRADE WALDEN 165 UH THAT I FOUND A FLEA MARKET SEVERAL YEARS AGO. THE HANDLE IS STARTING TO COME LOOSE. I HAVE CHECKED EBAY COMPLETED LISTINGS AND WAS NOT ABLE TO FIND ONE THAT SOLD ON THERE, SO I HAVE NO IDEA OF THE VALUE OF THIS KNIFE. MY QUESTION IS WOULD IT BE WORTH PAYING THE KNIFE REPAIR GUY FORTY BUCKS TO REPAIR THE HANDLES

Yes. The only reason I can think of that the hamdle scales could become loose is if the compression rivets backed off and were not fully compressed. A simple tap of a lexan hammer on each rivet head should do the trick. You could do this yourself most likely. Be sure to back up the rivet head on the opposite side. The Dupont Delrin handles are dimensionally stable, so it is doubtful that they have shrunken. Value is whatever you can get for yours if you sell it. That is highly dependent upon condition and the venue in which you sell it, and the quality of your photos.

Codger_64,
    thanks for the reply. I wasn't planning on selling it, i just didn't want to invest money in a knife that is worthless. I would hate to put forty bucks into a thirty dollar knife and wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort. As far as the rivets it looks like someone already tried pressing them back together as one is dented and i realized years ago i am not any good at knife repair. So i have a knife maker that i use to do repairs on the knives i think are worth repairing. The knife is about 85 to 90%. A few scratches on the blade and a little pitting from setting in the sheath for several years before i bought it.
    I was just reading a post i found that you had written, it was very informative. I did not realize this knife was only in production for 2 years. I guess that does make it somewhat special.
    Anyway thanks again
    Last edited by popeye6676; 08-17-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Yes, I have seldom seen even a used one go for less than $50 on eBay. What is the serial number on yours?

Does that give you an idea of when it was made?

Some pics of my 165 uh if you want to see it

Quote Originally Posted by popeye6676 View Post
    Does that give you an idea of when it was made?
    Not really. There were two main productions of the 165UH pattern knives. The first began in 1969 with 2,864 pieces shipped, and ended in 1970 with 941 pieces shipped. While dropped from the catalogs and advertising, remnants of the two year production continued to be shipped for several years, 466 in 1971, 310 in 1972 and finally the remaining 289 pieces in 1973. SO it was made near the end of that first production run in 1970, may have been actually shipped as late as 1973. Of course, it may have set in a dealer's display a year or more before being sold. Still, a two year production window is prety close for a production knife 40 years old. And yours is definately used, but I have seen much worse. After all, a knife is primarily a tool meant to be used. The few like-new surviving specimens are all the more uncommon since they were not really made to be collected, and few knife collectors bought them back then. But now, even well used, it is not a knife seen everyday.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Hi Popeye --

Hope you decide to repair it - Great Knife!!
    My Favorite Schrade model, the 165UH -- and the Schrade Walden version is the nicer one IMO.

The production numbers add up to 4,870 and you're showing #05257
    I'm the lucky owner of #17031 - pic previously posted by Michael back in March 2010
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...47#post8011347
    Gotta figure made before June 1973, as Michael says.

ENJOY!!

-- Howie
    I collect Schrade USA because they "tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance". 'Nuff Said !!

Right. The serials jumble after the first few thousand. It seems they were moved from a dedicated UH serial stamping to the combined UH/OT serializing. I do not have another explanation for it but would welcome one. We can be pretty sure there weren't 17,000 made. Closer to 5,000.

Michael --

OK then, now that makes sense. Schrade Sense!
    THANK YOU for helping me to understand.

-- Howie
    I collect Schrade USA because they "tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance". 'Nuff Said !!

As far as the OP serial, it is a possibility that a percent of pervious serialized knives were rejected, thus a serial of #05257 on a recorded shipment of
    4,870 knives. But it still doesn't explain the #17,000 serial. We have a similar problem with the LB-7/LB-8's.

Still i guess it's a knife to be proud of, by the way i bought a box of knives one day off craigslist in arkansas with about 75 knives in it and one of those knives was an old geo schrade "presto" fishtail auto. It was used and abused but still has decent snap. I read the front of the tang and saw the word presto and thought it was a piece of junk and gave it to my middle daughter. Fortunately she read the back and gave it back to me for my display. The moral is: Always double check before you give it away. I was fortunate to get it back. ITS THE BROWN ONE IN THE LOWER LEFT
    BLACKBERRY PICS 034-1.jpg

Stumbled onto this forum while researching a beautiful knife I was recently gifted with. It is a Schrade Walden 165 UH, serial #01485. It appears to be in new condition, both the scabbard and knife. There are no signs of wear or use, although it could use a little shining up. The whetstone shows almost no signs of use. Thanks. I would not sell it but wonder about its value. Can anyone add information specific to this knife. Thanks. I would not sell it but wonder about its value.

Welcome to the forum Sutterbill! As you can see by the sticky posted at the top of this page, registered users cannot ask for values of their knives. It is one of the perks of paid membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Esav Benyamin View Post
    In order to curtail potential abuse of membership privileges associated with the forums, questions regarding valuation of knives and collections are limited to those with a membership level which permits selling on this site. Accordingly, registered and basic members may not start or post in threads with such requests whether with the intent to sell or for informational purposes only.
    Other than that, do a search of ended auctions on ebay for your knife in similar condition. "Value" is generally agreed to be the price offered by the third highest bidder. These are really nice knives with excellent heft and balance. Show us a picture of yours if you can!
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

As the great Andrew Martin once said "One is glad to be of service".

The attached photos--guess I can attach 2--show both sides of the knife: one with the serial number and the opposite has an inscription that does not show up. It is, perhaps, a rose, and next to it is a small word, it appears. Might be a name. I really do not care what the value is, it will never be sold. I am, however, interested in whatever details can be provided regarding the knife . . . the sort of thing that was provided above to popeye.

Hmmm . . . just tried to attach two photos, but it appears I cannot specify where on my computer the photos are and have them thus attached. Apparently much use a photo site with a URL?

Yes. I use tinypic.com myself. Most use photobucket.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

Quote Originally Posted by sutterbill View Post
    ... I am, however, interested in whatever details can be provided regarding the knife . . . the sort of thing that was provided above to popeye...
    I am not sure what other information you are looking for that wasn't provided in the answer to Popeye. Is the odd marking you describe an etch or an engraving?

Thread Information