Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: where do we do the next challenge?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by raylaconico View Post
    I probably should drop out as a maker and be a tester since I'll be at bushbash. That will make me, mike, Jason, and maybe Sasha, and John the testers.

Noooooooooooooo! Say it ain't so.
    WTB Ray Laconico knives

Heck no Ray, you have to enter! I just like seeing your knives.
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden
    Come join our forum!http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...andmade-Knives
    Like me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/KFU-Kn...19027924948726

Guys, I don't think I can. I'll be there for the testing so I really shouldn't be a contestant. It would be better for me to be a tester. We got enough entries anyway.

Click on this link to visit our subforum..http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...p-Vagnino-Show

Wowza, lose power for a few days and look what happens! This has become quite the thread. Bummed to see the edc idea fall out, but glad the WSS challenges live on!

This would have won the edc contest anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    JCav,

I think it's time to start an official thread. You should keep this one open for questions and such, but an oficial sign up thread should be open complete with rules, deadline, etc.

Also you should name the testers.
    I agree. A few to many pages of contemplating and rambling before getting to the good stuff. I'll get something up tonight or tomorrow.
    “The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.” ~ Hitchens ~
    "Convictions are greater enemies of truth than lies." ~ Nietzsche ~

Quote Originally Posted by raylaconico View Post
    Guys, I don't think I can. I'll be there for the testing so I really shouldn't be a contestant. It would be better for me to be a tester. We got enough entries anyway.
    Ray - Although I seriously want you to enter this, I also really like the idea of having you as a tester and resource. You may have a different focus than the rest of us and be able to evaluate from distinct perspective. Make one either way...if nothing else it can be the grand prize for the shooting comp. That would be sweet (but only if I win).
    “The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.” ~ Hitchens ~

Holy crap... I don't read this thread for a few days and BOOM, it explodes out of nowhere. I'm gladly in, I need to improve over my last challenge knife.... you guys are local so I can deliver my blade to one of you. I'm pretty sure one of you guys lives close to my work in Anaheim.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives

Quote Originally Posted by C Bryant View Post
    Holy crap... I don't read this thread for a few days and BOOM, it explodes out of nowhere. I'm gladly in, I need to improve over my last challenge knife.... you guys are local so I can deliver my blade to one of you. I'm pretty sure one of you guys lives close to my work in Anaheim.
    I'm in West Covina. You can drop it off on your way back from work or something.

I know one of you guys was close. That could work. It has been forever since I have been able to make it to a Bush Bash... I'll try for this one. If I do I'll just bring it with me. I won't be testing... just drooling....
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives

Quote Originally Posted by JCavSD View Post
    I agree. A few to many pages of contemplating and rambling before getting to the good stuff. I'll get something up tonight or tomorrow.
    Sounds good. As Tony said, set the rules, what the knives will be judged on, deadline, etc.

Also name the testers. Right now, I think it's Jason, Mike, Sasha and Me, and maybe John. I don't think we need any more testers.

Click on this link to visit our subforum..http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...p-Vagnino-Show

Aswell please post all entry's or makers involved on the 1st page please thanks guys

"I LIVE LIFE ON THE CUTTING EDGE"
    "MOST SAY MY KNIVES ARE AN ADDICTION,ARE YOU THE NEXT ADDICT"

CLICK THE LINK BELOW ,COME VISIT MY NEW SUBFORUM
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...andmade-Knives

Good luck to all of the entrants this time. Because of life! my entry for last year is in the same shape it was just before glue up and I have been unable to make anything this year- but I look forward to seeing whatever is made! I gave myself a similar quest in making my groomsmen's knives, but my OAL was 6".

I'm not posting here much anymore because it has been difficult finding my way out of the urban wilderness, but am still watching the challenges with great interest.

I have my design ready. Looking forward to seeing what the great makers here are going to put out!
    "A true friend sends you a knife big enough to kill bears....And enough good beer to give you the courage to do so!" - Mike Davis
    *** I have a BF Sub Forum: Enter my 2014 GAW CLICK HERE ***
    Ryan Weeks - Ryan W. Knives
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    CKCA Member

One knife done! If this was a race we'd have a clear leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Marchand View Post
    I'm in.
    Alright, contest is over. Rick wins. When's the next one going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
    kinda what I'm thinking.. love his work....
    BeckerHead #13

"I am not a Number, I am a Free Man"- Maiden

"The moments we share today, Inspire the stories we tell tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
    I'm a fan of his work too, but he didn't win the last one so there is hope

Good luck to all the guys entering.

I get nervous everytime I enter one of these challenges. To put yourself out there for a public review is intimidating, to say the least. There are so many variables in the testing, individual opinions and personal preferences... it would be silly to think one blade can bridge them all. It is usually only one or two oustanding factors that are common among the top finishers.... sharpness and feel. Feel is very important. It comes from more than just handle ergonomics... aesthetics plays a huge role in feel. Get folks to fall in love with the knife before they even pick it up. If you can accomplish that, a scary sharp edge only serves to "set the hook". The knives get better with every challenge we hold.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Well said Rick. When I started out I wanted to work on two things first. A good sharp edge and a comfortable handle. I figured to me those were the two things I looked for when choosing a knife to USE. I know my fit and finish arent up there with with you and Koyote and Im ok with that for now. I work on it with every new knife and am making progress. Thats why I like these challenges,it really gives you good input on your knives,from people that didnt purchase them and feel somewhat obligated to say they are good.
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden
    Come join our forum!http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...andmade-Knives
    Like me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/KFU-Kn...19027924948726

Exactly, Chris but fit and finish isn't everything either. Maybe plunge lines don't line up, gaps appear between scales, or scratches are left in the blade but somehow it still just feels right. Gene had a good example of that type of knife in the last challenge. It was ugly as home made sin(no offence, brother) but I couldn't stop looking at it.... it told the story of its creation. IMO, if a knife can put you in the proper frame of mind when using it... most little F&F quirks seem to melt away.

Rick
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information