Thread: Roselli Knives

Roselli Knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi,

I am looking at Roselli knives
    Does anyone have experience with them?
    (I have run a forum search with very little results)

I am looking at the Carpenter or the Grandfather knives as I like around 3" blades
    I want this as a bushcrafting knife and will be used with a hatchet and a folding saw

And information would be appreiciated
    Neeman

I have the Carpenter.

I bought it soley because Ragnar (Ragweed Forge) highly suggested it.

Great knife: mine came extremely sharp out of the box. It is a delight to use and the Birch handles are smooth as satin. I wasn't too sure when I first received it, as the handle seemed a tad small for my X-large hands. My concern was unwarranted though, as the contour of the handles fits perfectly in the palm of my hand and helps give me precise control over the blade. It really shines when carving wood.

I don't have the Grandfather knife, so I can't give you a comparison between the two. I really like the version with the wooden sheath though - there's just something about it.

Everything I've read about Roselli knives has been positive. My own experience is the same.

Here's part of a review I did on Roselli blades some time ago.

Heimo Roselli specializes in traditional forged working knives without any frills. Ragnar of Ragweed Forge comments, These knives are all function and no polish, but have a beauty of their own. The blades are forged to shape in dies, then finished by hand. The upper sides of the blades still have the forge scale, and the bevels are ground cleanly to the edge with little or no secondary bevel. They are very sharp and ready to work. The steel is Krupp W75 with a carbon content of .7-.8%, and they are hardened to HRC 59 - 62. My erapuukko (hunting knife) and Carpenter in W75 are very easy to sharpen, and take a wicked edge. The erapuukko's blade is about 1/8” thick, just over 4” long and 1 ¼” wide at the base. The cutting edge extends right up to the grip, no ricasso. A shallow fuller is forged along the spine. The tang, which is peened over a brass washer at the butt, was probably welded onto the forged steel. I would prefer a one-piece blade and tang but that would add a fair bit to the manufacturing cost, no doubt, and I’ve never heard of any problems with this design. The blade is also epoxied into the very large Arctic birch handle (ideal when cutting in cold conditions when wearing gloves), which is faced with a stainless steel cup, so you don’t have to worry about water seeping in and rusting the tang.

The Carpenter's knife is a classic puukko. It does not have a full tang, maybe 2/3 the handle length, which is traditional. The handle, also Arctic birch, is very comfortable and the blade is the product of centuries of evolution. You could whittle a toothpick or skin a moose with it.

Both of my Roselli's cut like a screaming witch. The sheaths are a good design with a plastic insert, but are made from thin cheap leather and belt slots, which I don't like. I took mine apart and used them as patterns to make better sheaths out of heavier leather, and sealed them with SnowSeal, keeping the plastic insert.

Roselli also offers his version of wootz, called UHC (Ultra High Carbon).

Sounds good!

They are nice looking knives

What do you use the knife for?
    What cutting tasks?
    How is for edge retention?
    How is it to sharpen?

Thanks
    Neeman

Quote Originally Posted by neeman View Post
    Sounds good!

They are nice looking knives

What do you use the knife for?
    What cutting tasks?
    How is for edge retention?
    How is it to sharpen?

Thanks
    In my case, the Carpenter is used almost exclusively as a carving knife. Most of the wood is Oak, as that is the most abundant tree on my property.

I find the edge retention to be fantastic for my purpose, but I've never abused the knife.

I strop any knife I've used at the end of the day. Thus far that is the only "sharpening" I've had to do with it (or any of my knives).

I have some experience with Rosellis. Ive owned and used an older version of the Grandfather, the Carpenter and a UHC version of the Hunter. I think they are all proper knives, but I have to confess the prices for Roselli knives is somewhat high these days. I dont see what makes them so extra special as to justify the high price. The old grandfather knife I have has been with me on numerous hikes, I absolutely love that little blade. It has developed a little rattle nowadays, and I had to retire it.

The UHC blade is pretty nice as far as sharpness and cutting abilities goes, but I havent noticed any super-edge-keeping abilities. With time and use, it dulls like any other carbon steel.

I wrote a review about the Hunter 'round last new years eve. Check it out for a comparison pic for Grandfather and a Hunter. Also, the thread in question developed into an informative discussion about the UHC, so if your intrested in that steel, it might be worth reading.

Great review

I guess I will deal with the sheath

So the Granfather is a solid knife to use in the field?
    What is the full curve blade of the Grandfather like to use?
    Neeman

Quote Originally Posted by neeman View Post
    Great review

I guess I will deal with the sheath

So the Granfather is a solid knife to use in the field?
    What is the full curve blade of the Grandfather like to use?
    The grandfather knife I have is an older, rat-tail version. It held up really nicely for years and years, only recently has the blade started to rattle a little. Something that could be fixed, Im sure, but the knife has so much sentimental value nowadays that I decided to retire it (a great excuse to buy another knife too!).

Ive used the knife for light battoning (the blade is pretty short, so heavy battoning isnt even possible), cleaning a few fish, carving all sorts of past time projects, making a ton of fuzz sticks and for all sorts of camp chores. The orginal sheath was lost years ago, so I made a grude leather sheath which worked nicely enough.

About the full curve, I havent experienced any problems with it with the type of work I needed the knife for. The knife is perfect size for carving, and the wide blade makes it possible to choke on the blade for really detailed work.

I often carry a knife in my jacket pocket rather than on my belt, so one reason I like the knife so much is the compact size. It has been enough for my trips, though I have to admit that I rarely build natural shelters or huge fires (ones that require cutting down trees, dead or alive), not even during winter time, so I have little use for a big knife .

Edit: I just noticed that you intend to pair this knife up with an axe and a saw. For that kind of use, I think the grandfather would be a good choice. I think it mostly depends wether or not you like the bigger handle (compared to the carpenter) and if youre willing to pay the higher price of a Roselli. Personally I think there might be puukkos out there with similar quality but a lower price, but then again especially the grandfather is a unique design, and there isnt really another knife that looks like it.
    Last edited by attej; 08-18-2011 at 08:03 AM.

I would strongly recommend that you AVOID Roselli products!!! I had high hopes for my 18" axe and carpenter knife, the steel is good (even great), and I love the designs, but in no time at all they began to fall apart on me. The head came off of the axe a few days into a month long solo canoe trip, this was light campfire use! Birch is not an acceptable handle material IMHO, particularly when hickory is available, and when you need to rely on your axe! As for the knife, the quality control was abhorrent, uneven grind lines aren't a big deal to me I could handle that, I use my knives, but handles that are poorly formed is a big issue. Mine looks as if somebody slipped on a belt grinder. There's a concave portion on the handle of my carpenter that shouldn't be there that creates a massive hot-spot and all of the contours are 'wavy'. I expect better QC from my mora's! I have absolutely no faith in the build of the knife, I personally don't trust it to handle the simple day-to-days as the axe failed to do, much less anything more if I should require it. The knife sheath has zero-retention as well, the only thing holding it in is gravity! I've also heard that a lot of peoples Roselli's blades get loose - which should be a cause for concern. It's for these reasons, that I can not recommend them and would give a strong warning before relying on this companies products. I will never trust them on another trip!

In my honest opinion, these could be stellar tools, but the company doesn't seem to care. They are better tailored for tourists looking for a souvenir than for a wilderness adventurer that need simple, solid and reliable tools. Which is a great shame to say, because I really do like the designs and was initially very impressed by the tools. If looking for traditional knives, I've never heard anything bad about helle, but I have no personal experience with them. Right now I'm generally using a gransfors axe and a Fallkniven F1, usually paired with a SAK.
    Last edited by wabakimi; 08-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.

thank you I will take in to consideration what you say
    Neeman

I bought an axe a few years ago here (( do not link to non-paid dealers )) and not really happy with how blade holds sharpness.
    Last edited by Esav Benyamin; 08-27-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information