Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck 143 Paklite Skinner

Buck 143 Paklite Skinner

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was looking into maybe getting one of these and I was wondering if anyone here has one or if they have any experience with them? Thanks in advance!

The 143 is a Walmart only knife. I paid $17 for mine. The 140 Paklite is much smaller. Both are good knives, but the handle on the 143 seems too small for the size of the blade.

Would you say that it's so short that you have a problem using it, or is it more of pain?

I agree with previous comments on the 143 - the blade is just too big for the handle. Sometimes more blade is not better.

However, the Model 135 Caper is a very comfortable knife with a surprisingly useful blade shape. I'm thinking a dozen of these would make a great steak knife set.

Skeleton handled knives introduce very interesting design limitations. It's easy to get it wrong (like the 143) but when you get it right, like the 135, you end up with a very useful and comfortable knife.

Quote Originally Posted by blazerman View Post
    Would you say that it's so short that you have a problem using it, or is it more of pain?
    The handle is the perfect size for the 140. It is bigger and fits my hand better than the much bragged about Izula. But with the 143 the handle is just too small to handle the bigger blade safely. IMO The cord wrap and paracord handle extension do help some.

Quote Originally Posted by presz View Post
    The handle is the perfect size for the 140. It is bigger and fits my hand better than the much bragged about Izula. But with the 143 the handle is just too small to handle the bigger blade safely. IMO The cord wrap and paracord handle extension do help some.
    I was wondering myself just how much different the 140 felt over the 143. Although there appears to be little difference in blade size between the two except for the thumb ramp on the 143, with knives like these little changes can translate to big differences in how they feel in the hand. I'm gonna' order up a 140 and see how it feels.

I have several 140 and have my wife and kids carring them as well. they come wicked sharp and feel great in hand whether wrapped of just the skeliton. I haven't had the oppertunity to hold the larger model...
    BCCI LIFE MEMBER #2113

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." --Patrick Henry

I have 2 of the 143 models and I really like the knife. One is wrapped and the other isnt. Either way both feel pretty good in hand. For the price, in my opinion, they are great knives. There is also a 141 model now that you can get. Havent seen much on it and I havent held one so I dont know much about it.

Hey thanks a lot guys for the reply. I was kind of rushing into buying one of those 143's but now I'll check out the other 2.

The wrap makes the handle more comfortable.

I have regular sized hands and don't have a problem wth the handle size. i think it's a great knife for the money

I wear a large glove size and I have no problems with the handle size for general use, maybe for more specific use a larger handle to blade provides for increased precision or comfort. If you look at the above pictures, the handle appears as least as big (or bigger) in proportion to the blade as the BK-1 and Izula.

Thanks for all the responses guys, the info sure has been great! I was just wondering, how are the these knives to sharpen? Does the shape of the blade make it more difficult?

I have the 143, also. Fits my hands fine. My only complaint is the edge is too thick to get a hair popping edge on it. Other than that, it's fine. A great value for the money.

A little update for ya, I was at Wally World and I really couldn't pass this up. I bought it for $17.96, and I can see what everyone was saying about the shorter handle. I don't really have any complaints except one. When the knife is in the sheath the handle doesn't line up with the sheath and it kinda sticks out. It's not a real big deal, but thats the only one so far.

I really wish they came with a neck sheath. If it was available with a neck sheath I would have one already.

I got the 140 delivered today and have been comparing it with the 143.

There is a clear difference between the knives. Although the handle is virtually identical on both there is a big difference in blade size, with the 143 being a full 1" longer and about 1/4" deeper. Surprisingly, the steel on the 140 is slightly thicker.

As I suspected, the differences in the knives are small but still enough to make a huge difference in how they feel in the hand. The 140 is much more comfortable and better balanced and the slightly thicker steel (and very slightly rounded edges) give it a better feel.

I'm not a big fan of jimping, but Buck has done some jimping on the spine of the 140 blade that is unobtrusive yet very well placed. There is also a triangular hole cut above the choil that makes a very effective thumb rest.

Whoever designed this little blade did a darned good job.

While neither blade is a slouch the 140 just feels better. Buck better keep making them because I'm buying a bunch as Christmas gifts!

I'll try to have a comparison photo or two up by tomorrow.

UPDATE:

OK, got the chance to snap a few pictures a bit ago. Here's the 140 in comparison to the 143:

And in comparison with another very popular skeleton handled knife (and a darned good one in it's own right):

As I mentioned above, size matters. And in this case smaller is better.
    Last edited by northingeasting; 09-01-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Update with pictures

Quote Originally Posted by ktomes_340 View Post
    I have the 143, also. Fits my hands fine. My only complaint is the edge is too thick to get a hair popping edge on it. Other than that, it's fine. A great value for the money.
    dunno, dude. Might have gotten a fluke. Mine shaves hair effortlessly, razor sharp edge on that hollow grind. But yeah, handle is kinda small. Para double wrap makes it better.

The only problems I have with mine is that the handle is too thin for me (I have reasonably big hands) and the stock sheath leaves no room for a paracord wrap. The retention strap on my sheath got cut off in 2 days, after that the liner got reformed to provide enough retention, the knife now rides in my back pocket.

Anyone making kydex for these yet? I really need a kydex neck sheath for mine. Great knife!
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

The only thing you can guess about a broken down old man is that he is a survivor - Joe Sarno
    BECKERHEAD #154

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information