Thread: Why no 50th year anniversary knife?

West of the Mississippi, South of the Missouri and North of the Meramec

Why no 50th year anniversary knife?

ADVERTISEMENT
    It seems like Buck will issue a special edition knife for just about anything, it's good for sales, and us collectors... We celebrated the 100th anniversary of when great great grandpa made a knife as a kid. Heck, there was even a 25th anniversary knife for the model 112 Ranger that was about 9 years off. Why no 50th anniversary knife for a truely important event, the founding of Buck Knives as an actual modern corporation? 1961-2011
    Last edited by DeSotoSky; 08-31-2011 at 12:37 AM.

They need one.

Perhaps it would be too confusing if the 50th anniversary came 9 years after the 100th.... ;o)

You'd think Cabelas would have a 50th anniversary Buck, they got all sorts of 50 aniv guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSotoSky View Post
    Perhaps it would be too confusing if the 50th anniversary came 9 years after the 100th.... ;o)
    LOL ... Guess it would be OK if they did it with a Ranger.

Yes......the Ranger is not bound by the constraints of correct numbers and chronology.

LOL!

I guess any interest in a 50th anniversary for a Buck Inc. knife got run over by the excitement for a 50th anniversary 110. The incorporation of Buck knives in 1961 was a far more important event in my mind, without it the 110 folding Hunter wouldn't even exist and lets be honest, 1902 was really just a bump in the family history. I chuckle every time I read "est. 1902". (sorry Buck family)
    Last edited by DeSotoSky; 08-31-2011 at 06:08 PM.

deleted
    Last edited by Buck_110; 09-13-2011 at 12:53 PM.

deleted

Incorporation was and is just a way of doing business. Other ways of doing business are partnerships and sole proprietorships. It was sort of a progression of Buck's method of business, not really a monumental occasion, but a development. I'd rather see anniversaries of the iconic knives developed by Buck ... like the 110, etc.

OK, ya beat me down, I'll stop throwing mud on the ceiling, it's obviously not sticking..... ;o)

But I've gotta say as my final departing shot, it's the incorporation that allowed the progression from hand made to modern mass production manufacturing methods that made the 110 possible. The 110 wouldn't exist as a handmade knife would it?

deleted

I think what DeSoto means is that Buck probably wouldn't have survived if they hadn't incorporated when they did.

So, maybe there wouldn't be any Buck knives.

That could be true, who can say?

But even if true, it would be way below the average knife buyer's radar, so probably not a big opportunity for a party.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_110 View Post
    How did incorporation make mass production possible? Isn't machinery responsible for mass production on a large scale?
    Yes, machinery is responsible for mass production but you are missing the point. Incorporation created the framework for Al Buck to raise the investment capital necessary to buy that machinery and set up an actual factory. Otherwise he was about to belly up making knives by hand.

Guess I'm alone on this but I still think incorporation in 1961 is the pivital event in the history of Buck knives as we know and love them today. Too obscure for recognition and marketing already decided on 1902 I suppose. 100 years is more impressive than 50.... ;o)

OK I'm throwing in the towel now. We can let this thread peacefully die. Hey...anyone for a 50th anniversary Ranger?!!
    Last edited by DeSotoSky; 08-31-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Hey, you gave it a shot.......that's what all of us do.

Every single idea cannot be a hit......just ask Buck.....how many knives have become classics as opposed to those that have vanished.

deleted
    Last edited by Buck_110; 09-13-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Thread Information