Thread: What sharpening kit do you use for your Beckers?

What sharpening kit do you use for your Beckers?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Well I'm going at it with a Lansky 3-stone kit that I ordered a long time ago. I have to say this thing is a PITA to setup, especially on thicker bladed knives like Beckers. It's like it was rigged up in someones basement as a prototype, and then it just shipped out that way. I have to use a dime/screwdriver to tighten it up, using one of two screws, and then adjust another screw to try to get the vice at the right angle, all while cradling the knife, clamps and screwdriver in my hands, and constantly readjusting the screws and testing the blade to make sure it's on tightly. Then I have to assemble the wire-rod sharpening stones, which means needing to bend the rods to the proper angle, and test them to make sure they lie flat when you screw in the set-screw. It takes me longer to set the damned thing up than it does to sharpen. And that's my next problem. I've used it a handful of times, and every time I end up with drastically different results. I got my Eskabar sharp enough to push-cut paper, and then tried on a kitchen knife, and the thing wouldn't even slice a business card. It spends most of it's time in my drawer, because setting it up is such a hassle, and I never know if I'm going to take a workable edge up to razor sharp, or down to butter-knife dull. So, I need to get a new sharpening kit.

I'm not that experienced with sharpening, but can put a decent edge on just about anything with a regular, two grit whetstone, but would love to be able to bring them back up to factory sharp and beyond. I worked for 3 years as a meat cutter for a small butcher shop, and always used an electric sharpener on my knives, however the angle wasn't adjustable, and there really wasn't any technique to it, other than having a light touch. What sharpening kits do you guys use, and what would you recommend as a quick, easy sharpening kit?

In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    I convex em them use a belt sander and a strop

Sandpaper / mousepad (well, scrap leather anyway) and strop here. When they need more aggressive sharpening or when I'm sharpening someone else's knife (and don't want to mess w/ the bevel) then diamond stones work well.

---

Beckerhead #42

i'd probably get a slack belt if i had a shoppe (soon)...

but right now i use an Edge Pro Apex i got earlier this Summer. teh awesome. should've bought one of these 20 years ago, and save some money. perfect edges once you get the system down.

still, i won't give up my old tricks.
    Bladite

'''Has full plans for zombie apocalypse, no idea what he's doing TUESDAY'''

Becker Forum. PSSSSST, hey buddy, wanna read the List of Lists? or the Becker forum Rules/FAQ?
    Perhaps check out the Becker Blade Database? Lots and LOTS of often asked for information yonder

Stone, ceramic steel then strop=badass mean long lasting edge.....

See below.

I keep my edges touched up with a fine ceramic spyderco stone.

Oops...the spyderco stone is what I use at home. In the field I use a small arkansas stone. As soon as the knife wont shave anymore I sharpen it til it does. Seems like a decent system.

I use diamond stones and a home made leather strop with Formax green stropping compound.
    Most of the time honing on a 1200 diamond stone and stropping, or just stropping is all that's needed to get an edge back in shape.

I got a KME at Blade Show this year, for testing, and I have to say, I am VERY impressed. Ron has created a system that "fixes" the major problems with most guide systems. And I do mean fixed.

I have sharpened every thing from my BK9 to my Moras to my slipjoints. It does it all, and very well.

I also like the fact that everything, even the packing foam is MADE IN AMERICA!!!!

And it works with other makers stones/hones/diamonds. DMT, EZLap, Norton, and many others that I have found. Made of wood and carries a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Ron told me that a guy ran his over in the driveway on accident (how the hell that happens, I don't know) and he replaced the whole kit and kaboodle. Including stones. What a product and owner.

Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

I use my WEPS and a digital angle cube to get perfect symetrical angles due to the thickness. I just got a new BK2 and am trying to put a highly refined polished edge before I use her. Will post pics when im done (prolly monday)

Quote Originally Posted by Flexxx View Post
    Stone, ceramic steel then strop=badass mean long lasting edge.....
    x2 stuff can carve iron by that point.(use this on small knives)

When I'm lazy I just convex with a nail fail and strop. Still quite sharp(use on large knives)

Thread Information