Thread: Sharp brand knives?

Sharp brand knives?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Years ago my step moms uncle gave me this knife. I couldn't find much info on the brand or the knife specifically. All i know its really old, has seen A LOT of action, and has held up great. it may look a little grimy but that's my fault (sliced through frozen bait mackerel like nothin) it cleans up great.

K-Mart house brand back in the '80s. I believe the blades were 440C, the knives were generally well-made if more than a little heavy. Some of them were wonderfully ugly, but servicable.

OMG. I can't believe there's actually another Sharp fan on this board. I used to work at Kmart and bought a very well made (and heavy) model for about $10. It's actually in a sheath next to the bed. I'll clean it up and post pics.

I have a sharp Barlow. The blade doesnt close tight . It always cut good.

I had a guy give me an extraordinarily ugly Sharp brand knife to sharpen for him. I believe this one was made in Japan, and had a really nice thin factory edge. It got amazingly sharp.

I got my dad a Sharp brand sheath knife from K Mart about the early 80's, for his fishing box. Paid about $10 and still have it today. I foolishly let the tackle box sit in the rain for several months and got a tad of rust on the blade, nicking the edge a little. But it cleaned up fairly well & I will use it for years to come. The sheath was mildewy. I cut the stitches out, cleaned it up best I could with saddle soap, twice. Air dried, then rubbed all over with Bear Grease. Restitched after it dried. Darkened the leather a few shades but I think it will hold up now.

Quote Originally Posted by dead-eye View Post
    OMG. I can't believe there's actually another Sharp fan on this board. I used to work at Kmart and bought a very well made (and heavy) model for about $10. It's actually in a sheath next to the bed. I'll clean it up and post pics.
    It is good to find a decent product at a reasonable price. Doesn't always happen. Is Sharp still being made?

Nope, the last Sharp brand knives I saw in Kmart were around mid 1990's ish. As mentioned they mainly sourced knives from Japan, and sometimes from Colonial of Rhode Island. As mentioned, pretty good knives for the money.

Thread Information