Thread: Brian Yellowhorse Custom LB1 Cub and LB5 Smokey in abalone, malachite, turquoise

Brian Yellowhorse Custom LB1 Cub and LB5 Smokey in abalone, malachite, turquoise

ADVERTISEMENT
    I received my extra fancy "Howling Wolf" LB1 with malachite, abalone and white turquoise. The detail is amazing. Note the thin green malachite liner layer underneath the abalone.

The "white turquoise" is very interesting too. There is some debate as to the whether or not this is really turquoise but this "Scared Buffalo White Turquoise" is not howlite (which often masquerades and is sold as white turquoise). Neat info about this rare material here: http://gregornot.wordpress.com/2008/...se-what-is-it/

Here's some pics:

Last edited by Dave Thinkstoomuch; 04-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Dave,
    Very nice Yellowhorse.
    I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

Hi Dave --

Looks even better with your picture skillz
    Wicked nice work with the stone

Thanks for pointing out the extra layer of malachite - really puts it over the top
    and for your 'going the extra mile' with the link on the white turquoise

CONGRATS!!

-- Howie

Matching LB5 Smokey and family photo

Here (finally) are scans of the matching "Chipmunk" LB5. The two make a great pair but I don't know if the set will grow any bigger. Regardless, they definitely are the "showiest" Schrade's I have. Non-knife folks especially like these two so it seems.

No thin malachite liner on the LB5 which enables a chunkier slab of abalone. I kinda wish it had the liner as well but I am getting extra picky when I say that; it's a really nice knife and I'm very pleased. The depth of colour and opalescence of the abalone can't fully be captured. It's outstanding.

The jagged black border around the animal inlays could be regarded as spiritual "power lines" indicating the power of the animal spirit as in Norval Morrisseau's "Medicine Paintings" (a favorite artist of mine). I have a huge tattoo on my back of Morrisseau's "Missipeshu" with similar lines and these knives appealed to me on a deeper level than most in my collection. I don't know if that is what Brian Yellowhorse was going for but that's what they say to me.

All comments welcomed as always... Cheers!

last shows mirror polished blade more accurately (not my knife, nor my pic! the other of the two sets made):
    Last edited by Dave Thinkstoomuch; 04-05-2012 at 09:49 PM.

they are beautiful! i bet they feel very nice in the hand as well?

Port Lincoln,South Australia,"the home of the great white pointer shark"
    Great stuff Dave,beautiful craftsmanship......especially love that LB1....you are right about non knife folk liking them....if I show some of my blade collection to non collecting mates here, invariably the one knife they all like and want is my Brian Yellowhorse brightly colored custom knife....I matched my large folder with one of those custom made USA sheaths with the Indian Head Dime as the clip and spliced leather all round...very showy combination and one I will never part with......Hoo Roo

Quote Originally Posted by delmas2nd View Post
    they are beautiful! i bet they feel very nice in the hand as well?
    They do feel good in the hand. Abalone has a very slight texture to it. They are a bit "colder" feeling than a wood or delrin handled knife. The abalone has a slight bulge to it that improves the feel imo over a stock LB5 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry303 View Post
    Great stuff Dave,beautiful craftsmanship......especially love that LB1....you are right about non knife folk liking them....if I show some of my blade collection to non collecting mates here, invariably the one knife they all like and want is my Brian Yellowhorse brightly colored custom knife....I matched my large folder with one of those custom made USA sheaths with the Indian Head Dime as the clip and spliced leather all round...very showy combination and one I will never part with......Hoo Roo
    I bought the LB1 first and it's my favorite as well if forced to choose but I love this two-knife set. Both of them look more impressive when displayed with the other. I also like the fact that the other of the two sets like this has a different pattern of engraving on the bolsters and a buck instead of a wolf on the LB1 making these knives a unique pair. I wish matching LB3 and LB7 knives were available in this pattern but after seeing the prices of other 5" Yellowhorse lockbacks I'm not sure I could afford them even if they do surface. Should I have the matching LB7 made as a special order? Should I win the lottery? Should World Peace be achieved by next Tuesday at 3:00? Yes, yes and yes but not until. lol

Any pics of your Yellowhorse set Larry? I'd like to see the sheath as well as the knife.
    Last edited by Dave Thinkstoomuch; 04-07-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Thread Information