Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Carbon steel knife recommendation

  1. #1

    Carbon steel knife recommendation


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi guys,

    this is my first post

    I like carbon steel knives very much. I have a mora 711 mg carbon and I really dig that knife, nice blade and handle, hella sharp! But i find it hard to sharpen. I use a jewelstik double sided diamond plate (awesome btw) but even with this diamond plate it's still hard to sharpen imo. I know that carbon steel is easier to sharpen than stainless, but I think this blade might be a little harder, because it took some small chips with the zero grind. Now I put a micro secondary edge and it is ok now.
    The question is: do you know another good carbon steel knife like the mora, but with a softer carbon steel blade, like 56-57 or 58 hrc, within the same price range or a little more?

    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    292
    I just ordered a Marttiini M571 with a forged carbon steel 3.5" blade. It has a red plastic handle and is around 8" total length. It's a neat utility knife for ten bucks. It sounds like what you are looking for, as I believe it's hardened under RC59, possibly much lower. Someone can probably tell us the hardness.

    Joe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    4,505
    I was just sharpening a carbon steel Ka Bar. It was very easy to sharpen and I'd doubt it was above 56-57.

    In Folders casr runs their CV blades very soft. It's a dream to sharpen at maybe rc 55.

    Easiest I've seen was the Douk Douks and Mercators.

    Fixed blades, the Ontario and Ranger folders in 5160 are really easy to sharpen.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisky View Post
    I just ordered a Marttiini M571 with a forged carbon steel 3.5" blade. It has a red plastic handle and is around 8" total length. It's a neat utility knife for ten bucks. It sounds like what you are looking for, as I believe it's hardened under RC59, possibly much lower. Someone can probably tell us the hardness.

    Joe
    Thanks for the tip. Seems to be a pretty handy little knife. I couldnt find this knife on their website, but I found one that looks pretty neat too, the condor timberjack. Could you tell where I can find the M571 for this price? Thanks

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    I was just sharpening a carbon steel Ka Bar. It was very easy to sharpen and I'd doubt it was above 56-57.

    In Folders casr runs their CV blades very soft. It's a dream to sharpen at maybe rc 55.

    Easiest I've seen was the Douk Douks and Mercators.

    Fixed blades, the Ontario and Ranger folders in 5160 are really easy to sharpen.
    Thanks, i wasnt aware of the mercator folder. I'll have to get one for me now. I also have some opinels wich are pretty good too. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gringolandia
    Posts
    1,959
    I find my mora insanely easy to sharpen on the sharpmaker with just the medium stone. It'll slice paper and shave hair. You might try getting some new sharpening equipment instead of trying to get a softer steel.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Bavaria, Germany
    Posts
    6,184
    The Mora 711 difficult to sharpen? I had never a problem with that knife. I sharpened the knife out to zero degrees. As itīs usual for scandi blades. It was no problem to resharpen it. I use it on the building-lot. No problem, with that - ever.

    In that pricerange I know no carbonsteelblades knife. Well, there are the whole knives from Opinel or a Mercator. But theese are all folders.

    Kind regards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    292
    I'm a little worried about doing what they call deal spotting on the site, but I can tell you I bought my Marttiini at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks.

    Joe

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Humppa View Post
    The Mora 711 difficult to sharpen? I had never a problem with that knife. I sharpened the knife out to zero degrees. As itīs usual for scandi blades. It was no problem to resharpen it. I use it on the building-lot. No problem, with that - ever.

    In that pricerange I know no carbonsteelblades knife. Well, there are the whole knives from Opinel or a Mercator. But theese are all folders.

    Kind regards
    maybe its because its a new knife and you know, factory bevel is never perfect, and in order to get it really flat as a scandi grind should be and start to sharpen with ease, it might take a few more times sharpening until total flatness.
    But still, this blade is harder than my other mora classic n1. I know that because the classic is easier to sharpen and didnt take any chips, just a few micro rolls. In theory all must have the same hardness. I love Mora knives, the best knife for the money for sure, but I had a mora triflex and it took some nasty chips just cutting newspaper, really. Guess I was not lucky with that one, it was the only one in many others.

    I find my mora insanely easy to sharpen on the sharpmaker with just the medium stone. It'll slice paper and shave hair. You might try getting some new sharpening equipment instead of trying to get a softer steel.
    Yes, my other mora classic almost sharpen by itself, just a few passes on the stone and its back to business again. I have two diamond hones by jewelstik and another card set from DMT.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,086
    It took me a long time to clean up the bevels on my Mora knives. I found the 20 degree edge on the carbons to chip easily. Since this edge is meant for wood carving I put a micro bevel giving about a 35 degree inclusive edge on most of my Moras. My stainless Moras did not chip as easily as my carbon Moras. Their hardness is @ 57.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisky View Post
    I just ordered a Marttiini M571 with a forged carbon steel 3.5" blade. It has a red plastic handle and is around 8" total length. It's a neat utility knife for ten bucks. It sounds like what you are looking for, as I believe it's hardened under RC59, possibly much lower. Someone can probably tell us the hardness.

    Joe
    You were right. I just got this email from them:

    Hello,
    HRC of all Marttiini carbon steel knives is 55-57 HRC.
    Article 571010 is not manufactured any more, this is why it is not on our website.
    With best regards,

    Helena

  12. #12
    I have the Marttiini, probably my favorite utility knife now.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NW Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,935
    How about Old Hickory, Green River, or R. Murphy.

  14. #14
    I like the Old Hickory 7" butcher, also have the 8" slicer but find it a little to thick for a slicer. They both take and hold an edge pretty well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •