Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosscut Saw Thread

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pook View Post
    I had to take some big pine trees down this week (beetle kill). About half way through cutting them up with a more modern saw (Stihl), my FIL (70yro) mentions that he should have brought his two man saw. Turns out the saw was his Grandfather's. Now my interest is piqued.

I will get pics my next trip to his place.

Please do!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post
    And does anyone have restoration advice? So far I've been hitting it with steel wool and pb blaster. Taking a while.
    I've only done about a half dozen saws. I followed the process described here:
    http://www.wkfinetools.com/tRestore/...SawBlade-1.asp

This is time consuming. If you search the internet you will find many other ways.

Congrats on the saw!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post
    ....I did find though that the teeth are offset to the side maybe a 3/16'' either direction. Is that a bit much or is it just me?
    Way too much!

.010" to .015" is a good general purpose offset.

started to think about some of the old crosscut saws in the shop.
    my memory is iffy.LOL
    knew there was a thread about these old misery whips

anybody ever build a cradle for a one man saw? if i could post pictures i'd show you what i mean by cradle

buzz
    in "Saws That Sing" there is an image of a saw protected by a length of firehose.
    Last edited by markv; 07-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.

super detailed info about sharpening a crosscut saw and the tools involved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYsFlx3OSY

buzz

Quote Originally Posted by markv View Post
    in "Saws That Sing" there is an image of a saw protected by a length of firehose.
    That's SOP for trail crews. Nowadays it's sometimes replaced with plastic fence lattice cap.

In Praise of Big One Man Saws

When single bucking, particularly a big tree, a small lightweight saw is at a disadvantage. I much prefer to "build" a saw from the broken end of a big heavy bucking saw. Five feet is a good length for my arms and I can put a lot more teeth to work with each stroke. The D-handle is simple woodworking and the all-important top handle set a few inches forward of the D-handle gives good control. Put a decent western handle on the end and you can add a second sawyer without mashing his knuckles.

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/...t=395e417e.jpg

Looks like I still fail at posting pictures.

Nice saw. All I ever come across out here is ribbon saws and 1 man saws. I use mine for firewood mostly so I buck a lot to length with another sawyer and then cut to stove length with a 1 man plain tooth. I have that Simonds 4 foot bucking saw that runs really nice single bucking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by trailtime View Post
    When single bucking, particularly a big tree, a small lightweight saw is at a disadvantage. I much prefer to "build" a saw from the broken end of a big heavy bucking saw. Five feet is a good length for my arms and I can put a lot more teeth to work with each stroke. The D-handle is simple woodworking and the all-important top handle set a few inches forward of the D-handle gives good control. Put a decent western handle on the end and you can add a second sawyer without mashing his knuckles.

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/...t=395e417e.jpg

i like the looks of this nice long saw. a real work horse
    i'm saving an image of this saw in my files ,hope this is O.K.

all good

buzz

I like that saw. Looks like some dense wood in those logs.

Looks like I still fail at posting pictures.
    You're almost there. On your photobucket page is a Links box where you can click on the "IMG code" which will copy it.
    Then paste it into your forum post, which I just did below:

An alternative is to click the "Insert Image" icon (looks like a picture of a tree) when writing your forum post, and paste in the .jpg URL for the photo (which you already posted as a link).

Trailtime, that saw looks bad ass. Is this one only 5 feet? Looks long....

NEVER MIND...Replied to wrong post...sorry!

I have two saws with a metal handles like that, they are more of a traditional carpenters saw design. They both have a rather course tooth set. I got mine near Iron River, Michigan (U.P. MI.). They were used in the iron mines to cut cedar used for framing support in the mines. Sorry no pictures The saws are at my camp inn the U.P., next time I'm there, I'll have to take some pics..
    Last edited by Double Ott; 09-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Double Ott aka; Tom; TC

Vintage PUMAs from the 1970's & 1980's.. Let me know what you have, Thanks

When single bucking, particularly a big tree, a small lightweight saw is at a disadvantage.
    I've noticed the same thing. I have 36" and 48" 1-man saws. The 48" is much easier to use. The weight of the blade does the work while the user has only to move it back and forth. With the 36" saw you need to bear down on the auxiliary handle to get it to cut fast. I've never run a 60" but I'd sure like to give one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Square_peg View Post
    I've noticed the same thing. I have 36" and 48" 1-man saws. The 48" is much easier to use. The weight of the blade does the work while the user has only to move it back and forth. With the 36" saw you need to bear down on the auxiliary handle to get it to cut fast. I've never run a 60" but I'd sure like to give one a try.
    I was cutting some Ash with my Simonds 315, which is 5 1/2 feet I believe. A bit wiggly for single bucking but once it got going it cut great. Short saws have their place but for serious bucking a bigger saw has an advantage for sure.

That is a five footer. Because it began life as a 7-footer, chopping two feet off left one end much wider and less apt to buckle. It's also a crescent ground west coast saw, probably a Chinook, and really thick on the tooth end. Single bucking it's "da bomb". I've made three of these over the years, all sweet cutters. Heavy to carry though.....

Trying it again. Here's a two-fer with the five-footer.

Trying it again. Here's a two-fer with the five-footer.

Now that's cool

love them old saws

[/IMG]

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information