Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 272

Thread: Grayman Dua folder!!!! Wow

  1. #81
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    577

    ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    Just because one is on a battlefield, one doesn't need or want a carefully crafted edge on their knife?

    Not buying it. I'm calling hooey. "Hooey" I tell ya! It's like saying "If you are in battle, you don't care about blade play."
    I wouldn't care about blade play in a battle. All I would care about is that my knife didn't break before doing whatever I needed it to do... in a battle.

    I'm not in battle and I don't like the look of any of the knives shown so far.

    Did Rambo have a working mans edge? No, he had a knive he could shave with... in battle.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    Part of the reason for the edge finish that I don't think has been mentioned here is so taht the end user can finish the edge the way he wants without removing much material. Just food for thought.
    This statement is so ignorant it makes my head spin. The way that edge is ground you would have to remove a LOT of metal just to straighten the edge.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,197
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    This statement is so ignorant it makes my head spin. The way that edge is ground you would have to remove a LOT of metal just to straighten the edge.
    The gist wasn't that one would not be removing much material from the edge but rather moving overall material from the blade; IE whenever you see Krein or whomever do a regrind, the blade ends up significantly thinner. With an edge shipped this way, any work is not removing a significant amount of material. Bottom line is if you decide to do whatever to the edge (convex, serrate, etc etc) you still have a blade with substantial thickness.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    1,679
    You know, this all gives me an idea for a folding hacksaw, like the one on a Leatherman Surge. That hacksaw would definitely cut and cut in battle.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Republik of California
    Posts
    2,586
    To the OP , I would lock this thread. If you guys do not care for the edge that was put on this knife then don't buy one..... It's as simple as that.

    Five pages of "discussion" about something that really doesn't concern you in the first place ? Seems as though some folks have a lot of time on their hands.....


    Tostig

  6. #86
    Both my gray man knives had pretty poor edge. The guy I bought one from said the others he had were similar. One I sharpened myself, the other I sent back and I believe he sent a new knife along with a t shirt and a nice note. The ground pounder does have a nice grip shape and feel, even if it is crude

    I didn't look t the pictures but he'll resharpen or exchange it if the blade is really a mess.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,783
    Obviously this knife and its edge arent for everyone. Like I said before our troops seem to rave about his knives! Grayman clearly states what his products are intended for and clearly describes what you ll be receiving. Bottom line, if you dont like what he has to offer dont deal with him. There are plenty of makers that ll send you a knife with an edge that shines so much it ll blind you! My intention with this post was to show my fellow BF members a "new" and different product. I think it is unfair to bash something that you have not seen in person or handled or used. I think I will send Jon Rambo one of my Dua s and have him do a review on here for you guys! Maybe he ll use one in Rambo Part 5?!
    www.woundedwarriorproject.org
    http://semperfifund.org/
    Wanted: Jarosz Model 75

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,372
    Striderco,

    It would be very interesting to have you post a comparison review after you have used both the factory edge and the edge that Richard J provides you. Please tell us how the two edges compared on your various cutting tasks. This would be very interesting to a lot of us, and we could learn something. Does Grayman tell his customers how to maintain that unique edge his knives ship with, or is sending it back to him for resharpening your only recourse? I would just be guessing if asked to replicate that edge, and my guesses are similar to what knifenut1013 posted earlier.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    Just because one is on a battlefield, one doesn't need or want a carefully crafted edge on their knife?

    Not buying it. I'm calling hooey. "Hooey" I tell ya! It's like saying "If you are in battle, you don't care about blade play."
    What about Strider popularity? I don't have one so I can't speak from experience but I always read about them having blade play.
    Last edited by cziv; 10-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,783
    I think the topic of blade play is a lot more common than Graymans "working" edge. If you guys havent checked out Graymans site, I highly recommend that you do! You can read a lot of the customer feedback they have gotten and dont forget to check out their t shirts! They re great!! Grayman will resharpen for no cost if you send it to him. Richard J and I are going to post before and after pics once its had its RJ spa treatment! Maybe in another post though as I believe someone recommended that I close this one.
    www.woundedwarriorproject.org
    http://semperfifund.org/
    Wanted: Jarosz Model 75

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    6° down from equator, GMT +7
    Posts
    3,142

    Thumbs up

    I second the notion to close the thread.

    After getting back one with 'normal' edge, please let us know (Review & Testing subforum might be the better place).

    I am sill learning about sharpening, grit, convex edge, etc., that this is all new to me. What I've discern so far is that combination of steel, hardness, geometry, polish level will be optimum for certain task, and not only that, it has to factor in how often touch up is required to maintain the performance to the task.

    Some combination has wider range of tasks done well, some very speciic (think barber's razor).

    It will be a valuable lesson to us. So, let's learn together.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    The gist wasn't that one would not be removing much material from the edge but rather moving overall material from the blade; IE whenever you see Krein or whomever do a regrind, the blade ends up significantly thinner. With an edge shipped this way, any work is not removing a significant amount of material. Bottom line is if you decide to do whatever to the edge (convex, serrate, etc etc) you still have a blade with substantial thickness.
    Straw man. A regrind is meant to remove a lot of material to make the blade thinner. That is totally different than removing stock from the edge just to fix the wavy grinds.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    Straw man. A regrind is meant to remove a lot of material to make the blade thinner. That is totally different than removing stock from the edge just to fix the wavy grinds.
    So what are you saying CrimsonTideShooter? Do you think a better edge could be applied w/o a re-grind? I think so. I'm thinking of ordering one of these little tough guys.

    Also did anyone mention them having blade play? That would be a deal breaker for me. OP (striderco?) do you notice any blade play and if so, what kind? How about lockup %? Thanks!

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by cziv View Post
    So what are you saying CrimsonTideShooter? Do you think a better edge could be applied w/o a re-grind? I think so. I'm thinking of ordering one of these little tough guys.

    Also did anyone mention them having blade play? That would be a deal breaker for me. OP (striderco?) do you notice any blade play and if so, what kind? How about lockup %? Thanks!
    Yeah you should definitely be able to get a better edge without a total regrind. The edge still be very obtuse unless you reprofile, but I think an obtuse edge is best for a knife that is meant to be used hard.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,783
    No blade play what so ever! Lock up is excellent! IMO these are high end, top notch quality knives! Now I ve only handled the Dua which I now own two of. I know I need a new camera! Sorry! DSCN1748.jpgDSCN1749.jpgDSCN1750.jpg
    www.woundedwarriorproject.org
    http://semperfifund.org/
    Wanted: Jarosz Model 75

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by killteamTRS View Post
    Grayman knives are always finished with a "working edge" its not supposed to be all polished up and flawless, theyre meant to be used, and hell im picking one of these up for myself soon enough



    Sounds like an excuse to sharpen using a bench grinder.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    10,062
    i'll know more about what he used to sharpen it with when i see the knife and take some pictures. he could be using something as simple as a slow moving belt sander with a coarse grit or pulling it across at normal speed real fast until it gets sharp. with the cell phone pictures its hard to tell what the edge really looks like and tell how it was sharpened.
    I offer professional knife sharpening 40 years of experience, 22 with the paper wheels. $1. per inch for a v edge, $2 for a convex. I sharpen all edges & "Ti" knives, serrations. plus i do regrinds. Check out my website.http://sites.google.com/site/richardjsknives/Home

  18. #98
    Well I'm glued to the screen. And I bet I'm not the only one
    It's not all that often something so different comes along on the forums.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,783
    My Dua is shipping to the Richard J Spa tomorrow! We ll see what he thinks and what his magic paper wheels can do!? Im kind of confused here. Some guys are asking me to close this thread while many others seem to be very interested in it? I suppose i ll leave it open unless maybe one of the mods thinks it should be closed.
    www.woundedwarriorproject.org
    http://semperfifund.org/
    Wanted: Jarosz Model 75

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderco View Post
    My Dua is shipping to the Richard J Spa tomorrow! We ll see what he thinks and what his magic paper wheels can do!? Im kind of confused here. Some guys are asking me to close this thread while many others seem to be very interested in it? I suppose i ll leave it open unless maybe one of the mods thinks it should be closed.
    Why in the hell would you close this thread? (I am directing this to the people suggesting that)

    Because there is some discussion going on that not all people agree on? Geez, this place is falling prey to the PC crusaders. God forbid we discuss a knife and have opposing opinions all in one thread!

    I see nothing in this thread that would warrant a close.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •