Thread: As seen in Wal-Mart - Rossi Circuit Judge.

About a half-bubble off plumb, in Missouri

As seen in Wal-Mart - Rossi Circuit Judge.

ADVERTISEMENT
    While meandering through the sporting goods, I laid eyes on this neat little contraption, the Rossi Circuit Judge. I was initially surprised; I didn't think we'd see a revolver-style shotgun anytime soon, due to the restrictions of revolving cylinder shotguns as "destructive devices". Further reading reveals that the .410/.45LC version is being marketed as a rifle. I wonder if they had to get a sporting purposes exemption for the 28ga. . .

Anyway, I've seen some interest in this style of shotgun in the past, so I thought I'd throw it out there. The gun I saw looked to have a removable choke, so it might not pattern too bad with shot. Might be a decent hunting gun, with a quick anti-snake option.

I have no interest in owning one at this time, but I'd still like to see how it does on the open market. Does anyone have one? If so, how do you like it?

Last edited by 1966c10; 09-13-2012 at 08:38 AM.

About a half-bubble off plumb, in Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by 1966c10 View Post
    meh. A bit of a novelty to me. Holding 5 shells means I can't use it for hunting where I live and I don't see a real way to plug off the other chambers that would bring it into compliance. Besides the hot gases escaping from the cylinder gap and burning my forearm, I really don't want a long heavy double action trigger pull. Shotgun primers are pretty thick and so a trigger job isn't going to be an option beyond just polishing parts. It will always have to be a heavy pull unless you manually cock it. That's a bit backwards compared to every other shotgun action type.
    Valid points, I think. If I may ask, what are the laws in your area regarding shotgun capacity for hunting? Is it just the standard federal regulations regarding migratory waterfowl, or are there restrictions for hunting game, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by proud2deviate View Post
    While meandering through the sporting goods, I laid eyes on this neat little contraption, the Rossi Circuit Judge....
    Them's some kinda weird looking guns, I gotta say.

Be interesting to see how they're received, as time goes by. I think the .410/.45Colt guns are a silly gimmick -- but who knows, these may catch on, just like those short shotgun/pistol thingies of dubious value have.

The 44 mag looks nice. I'm not sold on the revolver shotguns though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman38 View Post
    I think the .410/.45Colt guns are a silly gimmick --
    I think you're right, they really don't do either thing well. I'm surprised at how popular the Judge and all it's variations are, they seem to sell pretty well.

This rifle is odd... ...I guess they might look cool to some people (under the age of 12 mostly) but again they're not going to be a good as a shotgun or as a rifle and as somebody pointed out there will be the chamber blast right in front of your face. Revolvers are a pain in the butt to clean too...

...to sum up: I'm not a fan.

Thread Information