Thread: Repair of neoprene wader seams?

Repair of neoprene wader seams?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi,

My trusty neoprene chest waders has developed a seeping leak in the crotch seam. How would you go about trying to reseal the seam?

Thanks!
    dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

I've used "shoe goo" for rubber waders, rubber boots, & for sealing plastic containers and aquariums. I imagine it would work on neoprene, but I haven't done it myself.

You can get the stuff online or probably at your local hardware or outdoor store.

Cabela's has a bunch of wader repair kits, glue, etc. I'm sure BassPro has them too. I'd go that route. If you're in a pinch, maybe a bicycle patch kit, depending on how big the hole is? I'd try to sew up the gap first, just to minimize the risk of it splitting.

Any urethane adhesive will bond neoprene (Aquaseal, Goop, Shoo Goo, et al. They're all mostly the same stuff).
    If it's small holes (climbing over stuff puts pinholes in the crotch) stretch the hole(s) out with a finger on the opposite side to open them up as much as you can and dab some urethane on it, will suck it in and close it up tight permanently.

If it's a seam letting go stretch back the seam tape as much as you can and do the same thing. Do both the inside and outside of the seam.
    With enough urethane you can keep a pair of neoprenes going for over a decade. You only need (and should use) patches on rips longer than 1".

Thread Information