Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Selleck carries a traditional lockback

Tom Selleck carries a traditional lockback

ADVERTISEMENT
    But we all probably could have guessed that he carried a traditional

He was on Conan recently, and during the interview they started talking about his Avocado business, he then shows Conan how you graft an Avocado tree, pulling out a nice sized lockback to make the cut. Could be a slippy, but pretty sure I saw him move his thumb to unlock the blade.... Looks like some sort of bone/stag handles, leather lanyard. Classy. Couldn't quite make out what he says, but he says it's his "genuine Jim *last name* Ranch Knife" Couldn't make out the last name, sounds like Venture or something, but googling couldn't find it.

Can watch the interview here (it gets a little weird, heh) skip to ~7:20 for knife content.
    http://teamcoco.com/video/tom-sellec...6#f331c21cd956

mr. s is good folks. anyone who stands his ground on gun rights and tells it like it is to rosey o'donnell in her face on her own dumb tv show has got my vote any day of the week. the knife i'm not too sure about. i'll check out the video link that you provided to see what i can see.. thanx for the link here goodeye

How did the crowd react when he pulled out that killing machine?

That blade has a nice profile, wonder if its a GEC lockback? profile looks very similar!!!

Pretty cool to see there are a few real men left in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    That blade has a nice profile, wonder if its a GEC lockback? profile looks very similar!!!
    I had the same thought.

-- Mark

Mr Selleck is, I believe, a man of good taste, who owns at least one Fabbri shotgun as well as one of their high end custom knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gody View Post
    Mr Selleck is, I believe, a man of good taste, who owns at least one Fabbri shotgun as well as one of their high end custom knives.
    He also has a collection of old Winchesters and Colts, that is out of this world... He is a very big player in that circle

Mike

R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnblade View Post
    I had the same thought.

-- Mark
    I got mine out to compare and I think it very well could be a GEC. Same swedge, has a lanyard hole, bolster (from what I could see) looks the same, the size is about right, the patina looks right for 1095.

If I had to bet, I would say he carries one of these:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Stu

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

Definitely a good guy, and a man's man, not one of these <fill in the blanks> typical hollywood wussies. That's the nicest way I could say that. I read an interview he had years ago, and he talked about how much he loved his ranch, and how he preferred to work on that than go to some health club riding an exercise bike looking at his own navel. He's been a stalwart for us gun and knife knuts, and I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by FLymon View Post
    I got mine out to compare and I think it very well could be a GEC. Same swedge, has a lanyard hole, bolster (from what I could see) looks the same, the size is about right, the patina looks right for 1095.

If I had to bet, I would say he carries one of these:
    Totally agree, it looks very much like that model and GEC's blade profile is quite unique to others who make lockbacks. I like Selleck, he's always struck me as a straight arrow with old school values not unlike my own.

One day when I'm rich I will have my "Quigley" 1874 Shiloh sharps!!!

He was also re-elected for the 5th or 6th time to the NRA Board of Directors. I think I read somewhere where the 1911 he uses in the Jesse Stone movies is a personal gun.

I had no idea he was that kind of guy actually...I assume it's pretty uncommon in Hollywood. One more reason to appreciate him tho.
    About the knife, I immediately thought about GEC frontier bone too (couldn't see the video yet).

Fausto

Sounded like he said "It's my genuine Jim Venture ranch knife."

Quote Originally Posted by NMpops View Post
    I think I read somewhere where the 1911 he uses in the Jesse Stone movies is a personal gun.
    This is apparently true. He's a huge fan of the 1911 platform, and even though in the Robert Parker books Jesse Stone used a .38 special revolver, or if expecting real trouble a 9mm Browning high power, Tom changed it around to a 1911. While still alive, Robert Parker and Tom Selleck became good friends and Parker was okay with the change.

Carl.

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    While it looks like that GEC (I have that one BTW), the blade looks a little too big for that particular model.

If it's larger, and Selleck is a big guy, then it could be a Queen Mountain Man in stag.

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    If it's larger, and Selleck is a big guy, then it could be a Queen Mountain Man in stag.
    That's what I'm thinking. The blade shape, lockback, lanyard hole & bolster all say 'Mountain Man' to me. The pattern is pretty prevalent, from Queen, Moore Maker (by Queen), and I think Camillus might've made one much like it at some time.

This may very well be a custom/handmade of some kind (after all, he did call it a 'Jim Venture Ranch Knife'; still trying to figure that out). He's in an enviable position. A lot of mega-celebrities get many more opportunities to meet people who'll be very eager to make a one-off custom for a superstar.
    Last edited by Obsessed with Edges; 10-25-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Hooray Magnum!
    ~ Nate

I would guess it's a custom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information