Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheath made for my EDC Kephart

Sheath made for my EDC Kephart

ADVERTISEMENT
    Today I took the time to make a sheath for my EDC Kephart. A co-worker gave me some leather, and I bought a three pack of leather tools from Harbor Freight (edge beveller, adj. groover, and adj. v gouge- the gouge doesn't work well). Watched a couple you tube videos and got to work.

Here is the result.(took these outside as the sun was going down, really needed more light)

A few screw ups, but it'll work. I can hold it upside down and shake it and the knife stays in. Overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Very Nice! Have you worked with leather before? i am impressed

There's few things as good as home cooking. Very nice KYT.

Quote Originally Posted by danc View Post
    Very Nice! Have you worked with leather before? i am impressed
    This was my second sheath, but first fold over type. This one looks a lot nicer than the first.

Two years ago I made a stacked leather sheath for a Scrapyard S5. Same co worker gave me some scrap leather he got out of a dumpster at a leather factory. It was already dyed brown and was real soft, almost like suede. It worked but was really the wrong kind of leather for a sheath.

Nicely done! What did you finish it with?

Nicely done!

My avatar is my Grandaughter, Hanna, who is battling leukemia.

R.I.P udtjim - One Of The Good Guys

Visit My Web Store
    http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/webstore/

Visit My Forum In The Makers Section
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

Nice job "D".

Jeff
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives

Quote Originally Posted by NoahL View Post
    Nicely done! What did you finish it with?
    I actually haven't put any finish on it yet. I have mink oil, boiled linseed oil, and saw a couple videos of peolple dipping sheaths in wax, or putting some other leather finish on. Trying to decide what I need to do to it. Got any recommendations?

Wow. nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by kyturkey View Post
    I actually haven't put any finish on it yet. I have mink oil, boiled linseed oil, and saw a couple videos of peolple dipping sheaths in wax, or putting some other leather finish on. Trying to decide what I need to do to it. Got any recommendations?
    My most important recommendation is this; DO NOT submerge the leather in hot wax! The temperature varies way too much and you can end up burning the leather or making it so hard that you can't even put your belt through the loop. Mink oil is fine, extra virgin olive oil is fine, neatsfoot oil is fine and several other oils are out there that will work--just rub them on and let them set. That said, oil is going to make your sheath softer and more flexible, and it is only water resistant instead of waterproof. I recommend wax-based finishes like Sno-Seal (which you can get at REI or Dick's Sporting Goods, usually) or Montana Pitch Blend, although there are others out there and you can make your own. The finish a sheath with a wax-based finish is to warm the leather a bit with a hair dryer, then rub the wax in and go back over it with the hair dryer. It will take you a little while to get everything to soak in, and you will have to stop if the leather gets too hot so you avoid drying it out and burning it, but it is going to be the best option. Lacquer-type finishes like Saddle Lac and Resolene are very popular as well but, in my opinion, make nice leather look and feel like plastic.

Thanks Noah, looks like a wax based product and a hair dryer are in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by kyturkey View Post
    Thanks Noah, looks like a wax based product and a hair dryer are in my future.
    Good luck! Be sure to post some post-finishing pictures with the obligatory water beads on the sheath

Blog Entries
    Hi Derek -

Very nice! That is a great combo - a KYTurkey Sheath and custom knife!

best regards -

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    "Building Knives Meant To Be Used, One At A Time" John Kiedaisch
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

Now that's something to be proud of,congrats ky,nice work on both.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

CANCER SUCKS!

Thought I'd bring this up instead of starting a new thread.

Last year, I got my dad a Kentucky Fieldmate (thanks mykel m). One of the first things he noticed was it had a right hand belt sheath, and well he's let handed. I made him a left handed sheath and gave it to him for father's dad. A little improved over the last one, but I've still got a ways to go. At least its functional.

And here are the two wet formed pouch sheaths I've done.

Nice work, do you treat them with anything? I tried some leather wax and it turned it all black, , still works though.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

JK Iris Knife Passaround

Quote Originally Posted by KYenglish View Post
    Nice work, do you treat them with anything? I tried some leather wax and it turned it all black, , still works though.
    I tried finding some of Noah's suggestions locally without any luck. (Sno Seal or Montana Pitch Blend)

My friend who makes holsters, leather suspenders for firefighting bunker pants, and belts, gave me some finish that comes from Tandy. Not sure of the name, but it looks like watered down milk. That's what I used on these. Also, on the kephart sheath I used a wood stain for the dye, and the fieldmate sheath got a timber brown leather dye (also from tandy).

those look great kyturkey. nice job.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89

Those look great, As for leather treating, I prefer Obenauf's. Not only does it work well but the smell should be bottled and sold as men's cologne. Much like Hoppe's #9, it is a fantastic scent.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete. I wish I could have done more.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Very nice sheaths Derek,I'm still jealous you got to make a knife in John's shop.

Hope your dad's enjoying the Fieldmate,he sure has a great sheath to carry it in!
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

CANCER SUCKS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information