Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 2011 Forum Knife Picture/Review Thread

ADVERTISEMENT
    I moved a low grit self coated wheel to my shipping area just for this problem. Just a touch and they are ready to go. This is really an interesting problem that GEC has not been able to work out of their finishing station yet.
    Mike Latham, CollectorKnives.Net
    Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Queen Cutlery | Fallkniven
    Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by knifeswapper View Post
    I moved a low grit self coated wheel to my shipping area just for this problem. Just a touch and they are ready to go. This is really an interesting problem that GEC has not been able to work out of their finishing station yet.
    Does this mean you modify knives before you ship them? Or did I misread your statement?
    Kevin

I don't claim to be an expert on anything but for my .02¢;

I think that near the final finishing stage of the frames of their knives GEC takes a "tad" too much material off the frame at the endcap end or bolster end of some of the knives thereby letting some blade tips/points ride proud when finished.

I've gone the "file the kick" route but have found it much better to re-profile the tip or just ignore it altogether.
    Last edited by Modoc ED; 01-16-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    ED

I looked a long time at mine when I got it because it seemed it might be a bit proud. After looking at it a lot over the course of a couple of days, I decided it was just even with the liners. This led me to the thought since it was so hard for me to determine it didn't matter and until this thread, I haven't even thought about it again. My knife does not have the bumping the spring issue either so I am happy with mine the way it is.

I was upset with the SparXX stockman sheepsfoot blade and filed a tiny bit off the kick to lower the blade and now I am happy with it. I can't tell that the springs are low on that knife after the adjustment.

Ed J

If it's a problem, use a fine sharpening stone to remove a tiny bit of the kick. Remember, go slow. You can always take more metal off, you can never put any back.

True. You can't add any material to the kick if you take too much off BUT you can peen the kick thereby adding length (so to speak) to the kick. Charlie (waynorth) and others have talked about this method. Search the word "peen" in this forum and in the "Maintenance and Tinkering" forum.
    ED

I removed stock from the kick of my 2010 knife with no ill effect, its an easy task if you go slow and check frequently.

Mine is really close, but the tip of the spear is not proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Modoc ED View Post
    True. You can't add any material to the kick if you take too much off BUT you can peen the kick thereby adding length (so to speak) to the kick. Charlie (waynorth) and others have talked about this method. Search the word "peen" in this forum and in the "Maintenance and Tinkering" forum.
    I learn something nearly every week on this forum. I'll take a shot at adding some height to the kick mentioned in the prior post.

Thanks

Mark

Can we combine this with the main 2011 BF knife thread.
    Campbell

I was having trouble getting the edge that I wanted on mine, so it wasn't seeing much pocket time. Well, last night I decided to have another go at sharpening it, and finally got what I was looking for. It shaves the hair off of my arm with no trouble at all now. I see this one getting plenty of use now.

Both of mine are very close/flush to the frame. OK for now but with multiple sharpenings it may turn out to be a little proud. If that happens then I'll remove just a hair from the kick. Great knife otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsch View Post
    Both of mine are very close/flush to the frame. OK for now but with multiple sharpenings it may turn out to be a little proud. If that happens then I'll remove just a hair from the kick. Great knife otherwise.
    If you think about it, you will run into that problem with most knives if you sharpen them enough
    Campbell

Spam Removed
    Last edited by Bastid; 03-28-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Let us erase the memory of the previous post

Stu

Beautiful pictures Thank you!
    Peter

Avatar: Todd Davison 'Milan Stag' Spearpoint

Can't beat that bone
    Campbell

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread Information