Thread: Terra Nova Parang?

Terra Nova Parang?

ADVERTISEMENT
    In the seventh episode (Proof) of TV series Terra Nova Commander Nathaniel Taylor uses what appears to be a large and highly polished parang. I have been unable to find any information about this knife or even a good image. Does anyone here know anything about it? Is it a custom, production, or just a nonfunctional prop?

Thanks in advance, any information will be appreciated.
    Spinning Cyclone Of Death

This it the best photo I can find of the knife:TN108.jpg

It's just a pimped out Gerber Bear Grylls Parang that the prop man had chromed, and handle blacked out. Here's a better shot:

Thanks, I was begging to suspect that was the case. I know they used a LMF II in a few of the other episodes.

I prefer the looks of the Terra Nova Parang without the orange grips, and Bear Grylls BS all over it. Maybe Gerber should make a few and see how they sell.

They should. The reason I went looking for this knife is my wife told me about it and said she liked it. She wasn't very happy when she found out it was Bear Grylls.

Looks like Gerber's been doing a lot of these TV series ad placements recently. The Walking Dead featured a fairly long shot of a Gerber brand-name-emblazoned roll of knife-like tools:

...And the series' characters have been using them ever since.

^^^
    Maybe that's why the Zombies are winning!

Haha cutter! Just goes to show where your money is going-TV promotion BS for cool factor, instead of quality materials and manufacturing.

Yeah if they did an all black version I'd be a lot more interested. Even if they didn't remove the "BG" from the handle it at least wouldn't be so gaudy. I like the look of the design, but not the decoration.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Yeah if they did an all black version I'd be a lot more interested. Even if they didn't remove the "BG" from the handle it at least wouldn't be so gaudy. I like the look of the design, but not the decoration.
    I think the rationale behind gaudy colours on knife handles is that if you drop it accidentally in the woods or are careless enough to leave it just lying around in the brush, it makes it easier to distinguish from its surroundings. Seems actually kind of practical in the event of misplacing it, but I'm with you on the aesthetics.

Anyone mod one of these yet and rip that overmolded handle off? I'd love to see some custom handle jobs on this bad boy-thinking of purchasing one just to try carving out my own scales. Some Brazilian Rosewood would look great on that stripped blade with all the GERBER brand name crap buffed out of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Graves View Post
    I think the rationale behind gaudy colours on knife handles is that if you drop it accidentally in the woods or are careless enough to leave it just lying around in the brush, it makes it easier to distinguish from its surroundings. Seems actually kind of practical in the event of misplacing it, but I'm with you on the aesthetics.
    Personally I prefer blue for visibility. Set an orange tool down in fall and you might still have trouble locating it. There are very few things in nature that are actually blue, so it stands out really well against a variety of foliage and terrain.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Personally I prefer blue for visibility. Set an orange tool down in fall and you might still have trouble locating it. There are very few things in nature that are actually blue, so it stands out really well against a variety of foliage and terrain.
    Probably a good idea. That or a terrible, radioactive chartreuse.

Anyone know if the logos on the blade are etched in or just painted on? I think I'm going to buy one of these things and strip it down to bare metal, rebuild it as a real jungle tool.

Thread Information