Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Harness Jacks - Special Orders

ADVERTISEMENT
    Could be the acrylic but I'm guessing interior ivory with the bottom being bark/exterior ivory.
    - Trand

Quote Originally Posted by quattromori View Post
    Rick, it seems so. There has been a small run of #66 Serpentine Jacks with the same handle material. Looks great.

Fausto
    Thanks, Fausto. I used to have an Ivory Acrylic #66 Serpentine Jack. Sold it here on the forums. I kind of miss it. I think I would like the Harness Jack even better.

I am trying very hard to resist these for financial reasons but these (in every handle material) are very, very tempting.
    Rick T.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dead View Post
    Could be the acrylic but I'm guessing interior ivory with the bottom being bark/exterior ivory.
    Thanks, Trand. Maybe Charlie will chime in to confirm.
    Rick T.

Quote Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
    Is the top one Ivory Acrylic!?
    The knives in the picture are both Ivory. Quite a contrast when you polish Interior material, vs. preserving the Bark. I can't wait to see them up close and personal!
    Shall we have a 2014 Bladeforums knife?

Perchance in Stag??

Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    The knives in the picture are both Ivory. Quite a contrast when you polish Interior material, vs. preserving the Bark. I can't wait to see them up close and personal!
    The extremely smooth polish and plain color, and the comparison with the other knife, tricked me
    It seemed almost too white and plain and smooth to be a natural material. It is absolutely awesome.

Fausto

Where can we get these or are they even for sale?

Sent from Ash forum mobile
    ~Ash~
    For Sale Click American Monkey Fist
    Rule to live by: Treat others as you wish to be treated.
    Click to get your own Gorilla Fist today

Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    Thanks, Charlie. It tricked me too.
    Rick T.

Glad to get in on this SFO. Good pattern size for this HJ6 Teamsters Jack. Ebony & Red bone. Very good choice using GEC Charlie!!

Russell

Thanks for sharing Russell. I am patiently waiting for mine (bone) to arrive.
    TC

Would you guys mind sharing your source for these knives?
    I have been trying to run one down, to no avail.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrodmb View Post
    Would you guys mind sharing your source for these knives?
    I have been trying to run one down, to no avail.
    Mark
    Please use Visitor Message or email to respond to this. Per the guidelines, Vendor links or references are not allowed in the thread.

Russell, thanks for sharing.
    I will have to be patient, since I will only get my HJ6 into my hands in June...but even though I can't have it with me now, I'm delighted to think about my ebony one...

Fausto

Woohoo!!! Mine arrived. I shall not shame with poor cell phone picture as Russell had posted couple really good ones already .

The red bone, brass liners and serpentine pattern are well matched creating an instant traditional slipjoint look and feel. I also like the fact #6 is smaller than its predecessors.

Thank you Charlie for the HJ introduction! Your design and GEC’s execution is perfect!

Kudos to you Mr. C .. one more time!
    TC

14. Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    It looks like the cat will just not stay in the bag! So I may as well tell the tale ;

It all started when a guy named Jim Parker managed to own W.R.Case and Sons for a brief time.
    He fairly quickly decided to sell off (some say "loot") parts of the Factory Collection, in a vain attempt to stave off bankruptcy (alleged). These lovely knives were dispersed throughout the community, and this one was offered to me a number of years ago, to purchase. I still consider returning it to the Factory Collection, maybe when I am a little older, but for now I'll enjoy it.
    It's a Case Tested XX 62074 1/2PU.

Here is a scan of the catalog for the sale auction. The (same) knife is the top one, of course.

The handle pattern is nearly identical to GEC's 66 serpentine pattern, which was part of the inspiration. GEC went to great lengths to come up with an authentic punch, improving it very slightly, to make an impressive knife. I'm feeling like this will be our best production/reincarnation of an antique knife, to date!
    Charlie, Is that a Harrison patent punch? I found this neat catalog page and thought of this thread.
    http://www.google.com/patents/US701878

Jake I did this serial rotation of images to study that Harrison punch you are asking about.
    The one on my HJ is different. It is a replica of a Case effort, for which I have yet to find a patent

They work on identical principles of course, but the Harrison has a sweeping elegant curve, and a laminated tang. The Case is more squarely kinked, and the back rounded off after.
    It is a much more complicated process to produce that Harrison - maybe some day.

Perchance in Stag??

16. Thank you for the excellent photos and explanation.

You are welcome!
    I've been meaning to do this for a bit - here is a comparison of HJ6 with the Case Tested XX from the Case Collection, that inspired GECs efforts!

It is amazing how close the GEC 66 pattern is to the old Case; 80-some years apart!!
    HJ6 looks like his Grandpaw!!

Perchance in Stag??

That does look pretty close, almost like they had it in mind. And my contribution...
    - Trand

Charlie, Grandpaw sure does stand out though with his most awesome cilpoint, Case NAILED it with this knife.
    Its great to see that cc badge, I think that is a most important touch.
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

GEC just keeps batting them out of the park in my eyes!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information