Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my first hog... (dead hog pics inside)

Got my first hog... (dead hog pics inside)

ADVERTISEMENT
    While out this past Friday in my deer stand, I had this big Russian Razorback trot behind my stand... well, I need some freezer meat, and pork is some goooooood freezer meat.

Shot him just behind the shoulder @ about 40 yards, using my Ruger 77 in .243 Winchester. Not a hard shot by any means, but it's really heavily and dense forest where we hunt so normally any shot you get is in the 20-30 yard range. There was absolutely no blood trail and when I pulled the trigger the pig never flinched or squealed, just trotted off and out of my vision about 40 yards away. My hunting partner showed up about 15 minutes later after hearing my shot and he tracked the hog and couldn't find any blood. He finally found the hog after we thought perhaps I missed him. When dressing the hog out the .243 did it's job well... blew up both lungs but never exited thru the opposing shoulder. But the 'exit wound' was about a 3"-4" hole... but the those hog shoulders are tough tough tough.

Anyway... on to the pics. Now to find a good taxidermist in the South Tulsa area to mount this bad hog. He has some really nice 3" cutters/tusks and good coloring for a pig.

Skinned him out w/a nice hunting blade I had made for me this year by Coombs... his M23 model. Did a fantastic job!!

Here's a pic of the blade when new... now it has a bit of a nice patina showing after doing it's job on the hog.

You have some nice prime pork there. The kitchen will be busy

Quote Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
    You have some nice prime pork there. The kitchen will be busy
    Oh yeah, at the butchers now. Total weight of about 250 lbs when adding in all the processing and what-not. Pork Loan, Butterfly Chops, Italian Sausage and breakfast sausage... Yummmmm!! Going to be a freezer full for sure.

Very nice!! man I wish we had hogs here....You have hogs to hunt we have moose to hunt though

I've never actually hunted them myself, but I have eaten them and the young ones are quite tastey. A hunting partner killed two back in the 70's on a deer hunt in South Arkansas and his wife told him not no, but hell no on bringing them home. My wife at the time had no such qualms and we had a freezer full of good high quality pork that winter to augment the deer and other game I brought home.

Congrats on a good kill. And thanks for posting up the pics. I hope you and your family enjoy it. Yeah, hogs don't usually leave much of a blood trail because the tough hide and fat under it tend to plug the outside holes.

I have been immersed in deer meat for two weeks now, spending a good part of every day and into the evenings processing for myself and my friends. I just packed up a fifteen pound box of jerky to be picked up and pulled another twenty five pounds of fresh tenderloin to begin processing. That will only make five pounds jerked, but that is still a lot of meat. I have to get as much done as I can before waterfowl season starts in ernest.

Nice shootin. Should be some fine table fair and a super cool mount, congrats.

congrats!.. make sure you cook it very well.

nice pig. Gonna have to hunt those some day. Does the bacon and/or meat taste like store bought or is it gamy? I hope they don't infest my area like they are supposed to be able to.

What bullet or load were you using if you don't mind me asking? If it is a factory load the product number on the box would be helpful too. Good info for my files. Thanks
    "Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

Inducted Busse and Kin- Blade 2007

SpyderNation #0019

Quote Originally Posted by messer454 View Post
    nice pig. Gonna have to hunt those some day. Does the bacon and/or meat taste like store bought or is it gamy? I hope they don't infest my area like they are supposed to be able to.

What bullet or load were you using if you don't mind me asking? If it is a factory load the product number on the box would be helpful too. Good info for my files. Thanks
    Thanks. This is my first wild hog shot so I can't comment yet on how it tastes, but all my hunting buddies and the processor seem to think it tastes better than Venison.... so I'm looking forward to it. I didn't do any bacon on this one as there just wasn't much fat... so I was told they don't recommend it on a lean hog. I'm SO looking forward to trying the various cuts in my wives Lasagna, and also frying up the sausage for omelets and such. Also, great in a crock-pot and some potatoes... (I'm making myself hungry... ha)

He was shot w/my Ruger M77 in .243 Winchester. Not the perfect choice for a hog, but I was looking for a thin-skinned deer that AM and not necessarily a hog. (243 Winchester 95 gr. Supreme Elite™ XP3®) the round did a great job since I did my job in hitting him w/a double lunch shot. He was slightly quartering away f/me and I hit him just behind the shoulder and thru the lungs and smashed on the outer shoulder. No exit wound, but when we opened him up his insides were messed up and so was the outside shoulder (from the inside). If I were specifically hog hunting I'd have taken my 30-06, or a .308... but the .243 is a great Whitetail caliber and can also be effective on slightly larger animals (as demonstrated) with the proper load and shot.

Thats a nice hog and a real nice knife too!
    Long live the weasels!

nice first hog,an the addiction starts...
    life's to short for safe queen's

I was wrong about the ammunition... It's actually Hornady Custom 95 gr SST. I'll post up a pic of the cartridge later if you want to see it. Has a plastic bonded core, or something like that. Ha

That's a nice pig, we have more than our share around home.

I really want to hear how he tastes! I've butchered domestic hogs, but never wild. That is a beautiful knife as well! Thanks for the story and pics, I love to hear about hunting from everyone, since I don't get much of a chance to do it myself these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake1997 View Post
    I was wrong about the ammunition... It's actually Hornady Custom 95 gr SST. I'll post up a pic of the cartridge later if you want to see it. Has a plastic bonded core, or something like that. Ha
    Nope, I got the picture. Thanks for the good description. Thanks also for saying you double lunged. Some of the stories I hear on the internet act like nothing short of a mortar will kill a hog unless its shot in the brain area. Nice to see that with good shooting and ammo thats not true.
    "Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

Inducted Busse and Kin- Blade 2007

SpyderNation #0019

Nice pig, nice knife!

We hunt hogs here in New Zealand...usual method is with pigdogs and a knife..but we always got a gun with us in case the dogs are getting cut up too much (or theres a handy deer)..heres some pics..

Nice... that's a lot of dead pigs!!

Quote Originally Posted by festerfromnzed View Post
    awwwe. who's a tired woofer?

looks like a good evening!

That is a nice hog Redsnake. I bet he will be tasty. Good job and congrats! I want to go on a boar hunt. Haven't had the chance yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information