Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Kershaw Cryo?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Kershaw & ZT collaborations with Hinderer are epic.

Epic indeed, but the ZT's are too much for my wallet right now... so bring on the Cryo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulrack223 View Post
    Kershaw & ZT collaborations with Hinderer are epic.
    +1, I'm loving these new designs.

I don't like dark blades at all, but this looks so all-around useful it's tough to resist. Thomas said something about them working on a new sub-3" blade ZT, and this looks like a great foundation for one... take this basic knife, beef up the construction to ZT standards, pick a nice steel and lose the coating and I'm in for sure.

This is looking very attractive. In all probability my next Kershaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Presumed_Lost View Post
    +1, I'm loving these new designs.

I don't like dark blades at all, but this looks so all-around useful it's tough to resist. Thomas said something about them working on a new sub-3" blade ZT, and this looks like a great foundation for one... take this basic knife, beef up the construction to ZT standards, pick a nice steel and lose the coating and I'm in for sure.
    Sub 3" ZT... I'd definitely like to see what they come up with there (a mini ZT/Hinderer would be the sickness). I'm not really into dark blades either. But, because the Cryo looks like it won't be terribly expensive there's nothing to stop me from trying my hand at some DIY stone-washing, maybe some polishing here and there... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by IRZ28 View Post
    Sub 3" ZT... I'd definitely like to see what they come up with there (a mini ZT/Hinderer would be the sickness). I'm not really into dark blades either. But, because the Cryo looks like it won't be terribly expensive there's nothing to stop me from trying my hand at some DIY stone-washing, maybe some polishing here and there... lol...
    Maybe. First question is whether the knife is generally worth the effort. Not all Kershaw-branded knives strike me as being as sturdy as I prefer.

I did just that with a Cold Steel Mini-AK47, it wasn't that hard to remove their PTFE coating (I used a bronze scrubber, much softer than the underlying steel), and to my surprise the finish underneath appears to be stone-washed. That's my current go-to sub-3" folder, largely because it's one of the few where they don't make the mistake (IMHO) of scaling down the handle proportionately with the blade. Local blade-length regulations don't affect the size of my hands, so far. To some degree you can take advantage of that by increasing the blade/handle overlap area, which increases strength, and is a freedom most designs don't have because usually they're trying to maximize blade length for the overall length.. but a little extra handle would still be welcome, and that leaves un-used room at the pommel-end. In a ZT, intended for serious real-world use, maybe taking advantage of that to incorporate a glass-breaker (rotating?) would make sense... nice emergency capability to have, so long as it's not something permanently exposed that I have to worry about falling on when it's in my pocket.

Yes; nice-looking knife,but definitely reasonable enough to modify.

Want two to send Jeff 4bush, with basic instructions:

(1.) Remove blade coating; leave unfinished.
    (2.) Cerakote her scales in Panty Pink.
    (3.) Cerakote mine's scales in Blaze Orange.
    (4.) Take pix to post here.
    (5.) Return shipping to Resume Speed,KY.

~Gnarly

Quote Originally Posted by IRZ28 View Post
    ....Also, a bit of speculation: The clip screw holes look almost like they are spaced wide enough to accommodate a deep carry clip...!
    I hope so. I much prefer deep carry clips.

Gnarly.....Lets do it man!!

I'm thinking you'll see my 2 Cryo's first, before they come home, Jeff!

And I gotta confess: these are the first lower-budget knives I've looked forward to,in a long time.

~Gnarly

The 8cr steel absolutely kills it for me. I don't trust Chinese quality control and in my experience it's a really crappy steel. I purchased a kershaw fixed blade about four or five months ago. It's made with 8cr and has been a complete disappointment. It rusts easily, won't hold an edge and generally sucks. If they can't find a way to make this knife in America, I will not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmoore View Post
    The 8cr steel absolutely kills it for me. I don't trust Chinese quality control and in my experience it's a really crappy steel. I purchased a kershaw fixed blade about four or five months ago. It's made with 8cr and has been a complete disappointment. It rusts easily, won't hold an edge and generally sucks. If they can't find a way to make this knife in America, I will not buy it.
    The ZT 0550 will hit the streets any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmoore View Post
    If they can't find a way to make this knife in America, I will not buy it.
    Maybe next time.

I think that the Cryo will be an ideal knife for me and my purposes. I think it will have several features that I really like (Hinderer design, Kershaw made, size, deep-carry clip?, framelock, etc.), and a price that will make me forget about any I don't.

I guess what I'm saying is that I do agree there are some things that could make this knife better, but I don't think I'll have any second thoughts about it because of the price.

For that matter, there are probably some things about any given knife that someone would want to change... lol...
    Last edited by IRZ28; 12-07-2011 at 02:31 AM.

I do not care if Thomas had the Cryo made by little purple martians, on any planet of his choice. I am looking forward to this one. Just hope the fit and finish match my skyline or leek and I will be thrilled.

Just my backwoods way of thinking, but if enough of these sell, the next ones are much more likely to be made of a different steel, in the U.S.

This thread sucks (without a picture of the other side). I wonder what pocket clip it will have? Kershaw is working its way back into my wallet again - its been a little while since I bought one (I own plenty) but now I've got 3 on order and am looking hard at the Knockout, this one and actually... a few more.
    - EZB

Quote Originally Posted by EZ Bake View Post
    This thread sucks (without a picture of the other side). I wonder what pocket clip it will have? Kershaw is working its way back into my wallet again - its been a little while since I bought one (I own plenty) but now I've got 3 on order and am looking hard at the Knockout, this one and actually... a few more.
    What do you mean sucks, I love it when you all get lathered up.

Hey Thomas, can you provide any more details on this knife or is it still too early? Will it be a low rider clip? Estimated availability?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    What do you mean sucks, I love it when you all get lathered up.
    Look at you teasing us. You know what we want to see

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalMystic View Post
    Will it be a low rider clip?
    See?!?!
    - EZB

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information