Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant anticipation for the Pygmy.

Giant anticipation for the Pygmy.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Just looked through the 2012 catalogue and realized my long wait for the Szabo folder is apparently not over by a long shot. However I was thrilled to see the Pygmy Warrior! Very freaking cool! I'm also very pleased to read that the pygmy will be offered in a Boltaron sheath with G-clip!
    I had to pay some big bucks to replace the Warrior spec-plus sheath with a kydex sheath. I understand that military buyers might prefer the spec-plus sheath but why couldn't Spyderco offer a choice of sheaths as some other companies do?
    I think Spyderco should win a knife industry award for the G-clip which I think is a brilliant little invention which I've installed on all my kydex sheathed knives regardless of brand.
    I urge Spyderco to offer Boltaron sheaths for all their fixed blades and utilize that very versatile G-clip.
    By the way ,does anyone know when the Pygmy will be released?

I'm with ya. I love my warrior but the smaller model seems more practical.....if a fighting knife can be practical?
    TC
    Remember him, when you look to the night sky!

Does the totally underwhelming response to my post mean that hardly anyone else is really that excited about the Pygmy? I don't really need my aesthetic choices validated by others, but it does make me wonder if Spyderco will keep offering knives like the Warrior and the Pygmy [ which make me do emotional backflips] if most people are indifferent.

I think the pygmy looks frigging awesome and id love to own it, but I have zero need for it. Plus I've got a lot of other Spydercos on my list. A knife has to fulfil some need before I buy it.
    And yes, I agree, I dont think the pygmy will become a spyderco regular like the endura and para. So buy it while you can!

Ill be looking forward to your review!
    Long live the weasels!

When I first saw the Warrior, my first thought was that the designer made it as a joke and the rest of the world just got carried away with it.

I thought it was a bit odd when I read descriptions and reviews of it where people expounded the virtues of the "reverse grip fighting styles" of some oriental-martial-art-of-the-week the knife was designed for, how the knife was supposed to have so many practical military applications, even some silliness about how the serrated side was intended for decapitating people. I kind of wonder how well it sells, since it seems to be intended as more of a novelty item than a practical tool.

"Oh man this is such an amazing fighting knife so practical so well designed, it's definitely top notch for covert deanimations on today's modern battlefield! "
    "Wait, you mean you've used it for killing people and it performed well? "
    "No, I just put it on a shelf, but it looks brutal and wicked so it must be good for fighting right? I mean it was designed by some martial arts instructor I've never heard of so it must be good. "
    "Oh, okay. Power to you I guess. "

The Warrior, like the Jumpmaster, will be made as long as the military contracts run so I expect them to be around for a while. The Pygmy on the other hand may be a one batch and done if it doesn't sell well.

The Pygmy is the result of many years of refinement making the Warrior. Bob Taylor has spent the past 20+ years with this design and his experience and skill working to this result. Bob wanted the knife made small enough for carry, but still effective, inexpensive enough for a soldier to be able to acquire. Those of you interested in martial arts or MBC will appreciate Bob's "style" attached to this design. Well thought out, efficient and a good study.

sal

I've really been looking forward to this one as well. I think it seems like a very good and versatile knife for anyone who carries a knife for self defense and more carriable than the full size. I don't carry a knife for self defense (not legal to do in my country and not something I'd generally feel comfortable doing), but I'm gonna get one for martial arts practice and for the fact that I just really like it.
    Last edited by Dr Heelhook; 12-11-2011 at 02:57 PM.

I'm tapping my foot Sal how much longer until this one hits the shops

Why will the Pygmy not be in H1 like its big brother?

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Why will the Pygmy not be in H1 like its big brother?
    I think the choice of BD-1 was in to support affordability as sal says above
    Bob wanted the knife made small enough for carry, but still effective, inexpensive enough for a soldier to be able to acquire.
    While H1 is a great steel choosing BD-1 will allow more soldiers to get one. I'm a former army officer and the average lower ranking enlisted man does not make a lot and most of the guys and gals are married and lots of them have kids so offering this in a good but not expensive steel is IMO a fine idea. I have a UKPK in BD-1 and I just love how sharp you can get BD-1. Sure it doesnt have the edge retention of the more expensive steels but a self defense design like the pygmy is not intended to be used for EDC or work related tasks so I think edge retention is not very important.

LOL , that upcoming Phil Wilson knife, and temperance 2 are way deadlier knives.......in hands of someone that knows what to do! Collectors piece, Yes! definitely!

utility type of knives rule, for daily tasks or self defense. Its a proven design! Unless you have collection ..

What's the latest on when these will be available?

I believe the Rock Salt/Schempp Rock is a much more effective "fighting knife" in general, but I'll probably get one, anyway.

My basic idea about large defensive/offensive knives is that they only make sense if they serve primarily serve other functions. The last time I was in theater, I had a custom recurve that I carried most of the time, but I used it to open mortar "tootsie rolls", for assorted tasks, and even abused it by using it to pry a 40-pound 120mm cannister out of the carrier it was frozen to!

...but I still plan on getting a Pygmy, if I can find one for less than $200. There are more effective so-called fighters- the Embassy in my pocket is 300% more practical, while being 75% as effective a combat tool- but it's still a neat knife.

John
    Last edited by Spectre; 06-03-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I believe the Rock Salt/Schempp Rock is a much more effective "fighting knife" in general, but I'll probably get one, anyway.

My basic idea about large defensive/offensive knives is that they only make sense if they serve primarily serve other functions. The last time I was in theater, I had a custom recurve that I carried most of the time, but I used it to open mortar "tootsie rolls", for assorted tasks, and even abused it by using it to pry a 40-pound 120mm cannister out of the carrier it was frozen to!

...but I still plan on getting a Pygmy, if I can find one for less than $200. There are more effective so-called fighters- the Embassy in my pocket is 300% more practical, while being 75% as effective a combat tool- but it's still a neat knife.

John
    The Schempp Rock is very big to carry around though, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by boki_zca View Post
    LOL , that upcoming Phil Wilson knife, and temperance 2 are way deadlier knives.......in hands of someone that knows what to do! Collectors piece, Yes! definitely!
    I'll probably get one to collect. As far as knives for self defense IMO a butter knife in the hands of a trained individual is going to be superior to a fighter in the hands of an untrained individual. I do not train in any martial art so as far as I am personally concerned knives are for cutting open stuff on my farm and for collecting.

I meant to compare to the full-sized Warrior, not the Pygmy. The Schempp Rock weighs 9.1oz, while the Warrior is just under an ounce less. And of course either is too big to carry on a daily basis, unless you live in a jungle- in which case you would only have space for something like the Schempp, or a machete!

I have no doubt the Pygmy could be an effective knife, but if someone wanted a knife to actually carry everyday, something like an Embassy, Endura, Paramilitary, or Manix XL would (in my humble but educated opinion) be far better choices, with mininal loss of effectiveness over the Pygmy if used in a life or death emergency.

John

Ill get one simply because i love spydercos, and use it for utility work........the one knife I carry all the time is ladybug

Yeah, like I said, I'll get one, too, if they're not too expensive. What utility work do you expect to be able to do with it?

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information