Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Sanrenmu 913P looks rather attractive...

The new Sanrenmu 913P looks rather attractive...

ADVERTISEMENT
    Gentlemen (and the odd lady),

Here is the new Sanrenmu 913P. I think it looks rather good.
    Blade is 8CrMov14 (57-58HRC), 3 5/16 in. (8.4cm), 1/8 in. (3.29mm) thick.
    Of course, I'd prefer it without the serrations, and without the black coating, but still.

To my -admittedly incomplete- knowledge, I think that it is also an original design, without too much inspiration borrowed from western brands. Comments on this one?

Well, first question that comes to mind - is it an actual SanRenMu or another counterfeit put out by MingRen? It looks like an original design at least.

By any chance wasn't the donor of the handle a Benchmade Vex?

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    By any chance wasn't the donor of the handle a Benchmade Vex?
    Ah yes, I compared them now and the handles and clip are very close indeed.
    With the Vex a China-made product, i can imagine that the OEM manufacturer has recycled part of it.

was never a big fan of the vex and now the 913, just not my cup of tea I suppose, espesially with those thumb studs looking very non-lefty friendly

The blade looks like the one on the BM Bone Collector and its mini version, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ASBOB View Post
    The blade looks like the one on the BM Bone Collector and its mini version, too.
    I disagree. The BC's edge is straight for longer and then curves up more drastically towards the tip (like the Spyderco Stretch or another hunting/skinning/dressing knife), and the spine is entirely different. It's closer to the CRK Insingo than the BC (but even those are pretty different).

Quote Originally Posted by ASBOB View Post
    It doesn't look anything like any of the Bone Collectors

Edit: Okay, took a closer look, they're not even remotely similar. What exactly are you seeing the same?
    Last edited by like em sharp; 12-09-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Blade shape reminds me of the Chinese-made Kershaw Compound...

Well, you will be able to compare near EVERY blade to some other on the market, and this one does not look more like others than if you compare western blade styles.
    I still find it rather nice. Bring on the uncoated plain edge variant!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon View Post
    Well, you will be able to compare near EVERY blade to some other on the market, and this one does not look more like others than if you compare western blade styles.
    I still find it rather nice. Bring on the uncoated plain edge variant!
    I certainly agree, sir!

Now the question is, would you buy an SRM 'expensive' production folder if they moved to higher end materials? I mean, Rough Rider brings some good materials to the table for dirt cheap... Imagine an SRM line that uses wood, bone, pearl, even micarta and/or carbon fibre, and say they sell for $50 or perhaps even offer a steel 'upgrade'... a 5x bump or so to their current pricing niche that would place them on par with mid-range offerings from 'The Big Three' manufacturers. Would you buy 'em? If the designs looked right, I'd probably buy a few. Could make SanRenMu a real competitor!

Quote Originally Posted by timberweasel View Post
    I certainly agree, sir!

Now the question is, would you buy an SRM 'expensive' production folder if they moved to higher end materials? I mean, Rough Rider brings some good materials to the table for dirt cheap... Imagine an SRM line that uses wood, bone, pearl, even micarta and/or carbon fibre, and say they sell for $50 or perhaps even offer a steel 'upgrade'... a 5x bump or so to their current pricing niche that would place them on par with mid-range offerings from 'The Big Three' manufacturers. Would you buy 'em? If the designs looked right, I'd probably buy a few. Could make SanRenMu a real competitor!
    I like SRM, but.... warranty. Warranty is an issue for me. I've broken who knows how many knives from just about all of the major companies in my knife collecting/using career and if I start to shell out more than say, $30 I expect backing. Even if SRM stepped up and offered a lifetime warranty (why not, the companies they OEM for like CRKT do) having to send it back and forth from China because there are no official NA suppliers would be a pain.

Blade looks to be almost the same as the Sanrenmu 939. I'd take the 939 over the 913.

Ya know it's kinda pointy and has an edge, it must be based on...

I certainly agree, sir!

For $50 you begin to enter the realm of, say, the Spyderco Delica. Even in its FRN handle, I would most likely take it over a bone handled SRM. Or perhaps if they grow their reputation over time: BMW also started as a llow end car manufacturer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon View Post
    Gentlemen (and the odd lady),

Here is the new Sanrenmu 913P. I think it looks rather good.
    Blade is 8CrMov14 (57-58HRC), 3 5/16 in. (8.4cm), 1/8 in. (3.29mm) thick.
    Of course, I'd prefer it without the serrations, and without the black coating, but still.

To my -admittedly incomplete- knowledge, I think that it is also an original design, without too much inspiration borrowed from western brands. Comments on this one?

Looks pretty much spot on with the handle on the Vex.

The blade kinda looks like the one on sheepsfoot griptilians.

I've had my fill with SRM and other Chinese knives, too low in quality for my tastes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liveitloud View Post
    Looks pretty much spot on with the handle on the Vex.

The opener on the Vex blade looks pretty much spot on with the...oh never mind
    R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unit View Post
    The opener on the Vex blade looks pretty much spot on with the...oh never mind

HAHA, yeah doesn't it. That's probably the only reason I have it.

Blade shape reminds me of the Chinese-made Kershaw Compound...
    Have to agree - Picked up a SRM 913p and a SRM 939 knife for under $30 shipped - for the money - they are just fine for my needs. I almost went for a Kershaw Turbulence or Compound - but I wanted to try out something new...

The handle on that SRM 913p is pretty nice - the blade with serrations - meh - it's okay - but it is quite smooth to open - looks like bronze washers in it?

The Black blade coatings are not my cup of tea - and the metal type is the kershaw compound- quality metal (unless they are being dishonest about the metal type) will be my general use knife for wear and tear.

Anyhow - not bad for the price paid - I'll stick with my USA made Kershaws from here on out though.
    Last edited by 1robinhood; 05-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information