Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Native 5 Performance Testing and Review.

Arrow Spyderco Native 5 Performance Testing and Review.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I ran the Native 5 through my full testing process on rope, cardboard and wood. I reprofiled the edge to 30 degrees inclusive on my Edge Pro finish off with the 400 Grit SIC Congress stone then stropping to remove the burr on a SIC loaded strop.

The edge wasn't touched once the testing began as per my process of testing.

First up was the rope, I made 80 slicing cuts through 5/8" Manila Rope, Manila rope is very hard on the edges and found nothing but normal edge wear going on, the knife would still slice paper easy after the rope.

This is the edge after the rope cutting stage, a few small shiny spots, but nothing out of the ordinary from what I have seen in the past testing other knives and steels.

Next up is the cardboard cutting, I cut up 3 large TP boxes and the knife would still slice paper easy and clean, note the edge wasn't touched after the rope.

Last was the wood cutting, I whittled wood taking thin and thick slices out and then really pushed the edge twisting and torquing the edge while cutting, saw no issues and the knife still will slice paper clean.

Conclusion

The Native 5 performed extremely well and S35VN seems to be a very good steel based on my testing, Spyderco did an excellent job with it. With all the questions about S35VN lately all I can say is it performed well in my testing of the Native 5 and it and the NAtive 5 is highly recommended by me.

Nice review, Jim. Excellent illustrative pictures, as well.

My experience matches yours. I did a side-by-side comparison of a Native5 vs a Buck Vantage Pro in S30V slicing manila rope. I couldn't tell the difference in edge retention performance. I'm aware of the brouhaha about the performance of S35VN. Based on my observations, not to mention yours, Spyderco did a good job with it and it is fair dinkum stuff with edge retention performance very similar to that of S30V.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

Quote Originally Posted by knarfeng View Post
    Nice review, Jim. Excellent illustrative pictures, as well.

My experience matches yours. I did a side-by-side comparison of a Native5 vs a Buck Vantage Pro in S30V slicing manila rope. I couldn't tell the difference in edge retention performance. I'm aware of the brouhaha about the performance of S35VN. Based on my observations, not to mention yours, Spyderco did a good job with it and it is fair dinkum stuff with edge retention performance very similar to that of S30V.

Thanks Frank.

Seems to be a lot like S30V edge retention wise to me also based on my testing also, the Mules and this N5.

Thanks for the review Jim, I always enjoy them and find them informative. What I particularly like about this review is that I already have the Native 5 so I'm not experiencing that terrible emptiness and craving and possible loss of funds that comes as a result of many of your reviews.
    Last edited by Mike157; 12-16-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike157 View Post
    Thanks for the review Jim, I always enjoy them and find them informative. What I particularly like about this review is that I already have the Native 5 so I'm not experiencing that terrible emptiness and craving and possible loss of funds that comes as a result of many of your reviews.
    Thanks Mike.

Really great review, thanks. I had looked at the N5 and thought it looked good on paper but not necessarily anything special. After reading your various posts I might try to find the free cash to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Really great review, thanks. I had looked at the N5 and thought it looked good on paper but not necessarily anything special. After reading your various posts I might try to find the free cash to buy one.
    It really is a very nice knife.

Excellent, Jim - thank you very much . . .

Great review as always Jim now you've got me wanting a native-5. You really went through some rope and a truck full of cardboard. Keep it up and you'll have arms like the hulk.

Great review!
    I'd love to see how well the ZT 0550 compares. Is the blade thin enough for you to test?

Quote Originally Posted by presz View Post
    Great review!
    I'd love to see how well the ZT 0550 compares. Is the blade thin enough for you to test?

Yeah I tested the 0551 in ELMAX.

Great work Jim. Always enjoy your tests. They are well thought out and fair.

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to do it, great pics.

Great work on that tests, Jim. :-)
    Cheers.

Great work Jim!
    I looked forward to the release of the Native 5, but then I heard the problems with the S35VN. I was even planning to purchase the PPT instead. After looking at your video I had another look at the N5 and picked it up the other night. I'm glad I did as I find the ergos on this knive to be amazing. Sal must have the same sized hand as I do!

Nice review, good pics! I would like to like this knife, but what holds me back is - too much handle/choil to actual cutting edge. I would love it if Spyderco could moderate its love affair with edge-eating choils.

Andy
    "Why is everything you are wearing sharp?"

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Colglazier View Post
    Nice review, good pics! I would like to like this knife, but what holds me back is - too much handle/choil to actual cutting edge. I would love it if Spyderco could moderate its love affair with edge-eating choils.

Andy
    They did okay in that regard on the Para2. Though I didn't see much of a point for it on the Moran Featherweight simply because the choil wasn't well-shaped to put a finger in there without the risk of having the finger slip onto the blade. Though I think it has more to do with the shape of the blade rather than the choil. I prefer something more upswept like the Para2 and Moran as opposed to the Native and Manix. Also makes me a bit sad that I didn't pick up the Chinook. Though hopefully the upcoming M390 Military will fit me well.

Ankerson, your costing me too much money! Excellent review with real world use. I like this new version of the Native and was really tempted by it as I do not yet have a S35vn blade. Now I must have one...specifically this one.

Great review. I've been looking at this knife for a little while and think you may have just sold me one. Thanks, I look forward to checking out your next.

Older thread, but since my new son-n-law has one of these that I touched up on a Shapton 2k glass bench stone for him, I was pretty pleased at how well it took an edge, and your review adds to that fact, mine should arrive this week

Thanks again for all your reviews!
    G2
    "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
    Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information