Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation: Durable watch. Finally made a purchase!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I own a Casio MTG-910DA that I like a lot. I think it comes close to your requirements, but I'm not sure what it costs in your country.

sorry i was a little late to this thread been really busy.

ok first off this isnt a big deal because the watch will only need to have its battery replaced every 3-4 years about. for luminox you just send it to the repair center and they bill you. its not very expenisve. 27 for the replacement and the testing and pressure sealing. Really that peanuts to shell out, assuming its three years on the dot then that averages 9 dollars a year which is such a small amount of money in ther scheme of things. thats a 2oz pour of good whiskey, a 16oz glass of craft beer, or a couple rounds of skee-ball. In other words its a negligible amount that you could easily blow without thinking about it. its not going to be a major operation where they tell you: Im sorry mr fish but there appears to have been a complication the total will now come to 80 dollars. its pretty cut and dry.

additionally the luminox has a mechanism that makes the second hand skip 5 seconds when its running low so you can notice and replace it before it flat out dies. if the eco drive watch has a problem then its going to be an expensive overhaul. the eco drive has just never appealed to me that much, fine watches even the likes of patek phillipe use batteries and it has vetted the battery wrist watch. Eco drive on the other hand is relativley newer and theres no real garuntee that there wont be a bug. Id just get a battery run watch and not worry about it, unless its a hardcore watch like the luminox they wont even have reprusserize it i think that only even starts at 20 BAR ie 200 meters worth of resistance.

I like nice things, i pay a little more, i take good care of them and they always work when i want them to work.

hope this answers your question.

I have a nixon watch. The model I got was "the unit", it has a very nice silicone band that is surprisingly soft and comfortable, I use to hate non metal bands but I love the feel of this one.... I've had it for a few months now and it's been through lots but it hasnt missed a beat or taken any scratches.

My other watch is an analog swiss military watch which I rotate with depending on where i'm going.

Check out some dakota watches. They have ones that have a compass,altimeter,barometer,alarm and whatever else one may need or want.

I am slowly finding out just how many brands of watches there are. Found a couple of different watch brans similar to the luminox. H3 tactical and firemark in the same category and similar price range. There are just so many watch brands out there!
    And no the suggestion to get one of each is not going to work this time.

Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of H3 Traser watches?

Been looking at them lately but don't know if there any good or not.

Neither h3 or firemark are quite as established brands as luminox. Luminox also does automatics now and is in a way kind of moving up the watch world totem pole. I have no reason to doubt that an h3 would be a dissapointment, i just have no real experience with them and that makes me automatically doubt them a little bit.

the h3 in particular look alot like a rip-off of luminox, for instance this: http://www.traserusa.com/html/P_6504...ail-id-14.html is damn near identical to a luminox seal.

Traser is a quite well established brand actually. Their models P5900 and P6500 for example are quite popular on the watch forums. Both Traser and Luminox and also other brands with similar looking watches inherit a lot from military watches of brands like Stocker & Yale.

actually luminox and traser both pay Stocker & Yale a royalty for every case they make. Stocker and Yale makes only 500 extra watches each year. The rest go to Government contract. Those 500 cannot be sold in the U.S because of licensing agreements and must be exported. In order to enhance the watch for the civilian market, Luminox added a date, made the bezel a 60 minute timer vs. GMT, and added a tritium vial to the seconds hand

as i said i have no real experience with the trasers, they look fine i just prefer Luminox. firemark tho im not a fan of. i remember them not quite being on par with the other two. maybe im wrong.

You are getting some really good advice here already, so I will just throw in that I still drag around my Timex Expedition ($25) to set my expensive mechanical dress watch every day and it keeps perfect time. I replace the battery once/year whether it needs it or not and it has never failed me. Also - I must criticize the Citizen eco-drive if you are working nights. Worst watch I've ever owned for working nights/sleeping days, especially when my work area is a dimly lit room so as not to ruin our night vision. Even after a charge as recommended by the manual, it would go haywire after 12-18 hours of low-light conditions, requiring me to get out the instructions to reset EVERY damn feature it had (multiple time zones, date, alarm all went TU). It sounds like you would do well with the Luminx route.

Gen 27:3 Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow-and go out into the fields and hunt some wild game.

Dammit - now you fellers got me looking, and I dont even need 1! Anyone make an analog watch with altitude/temp sensors that isnt' the size of a hockey puck?

Gen 27:3 Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow-and go out into the fields and hunt some wild game.

sounds like you would be looking at a suunto. They are key players in the electric sport watch market. ill take a look into it for you.

OOOhh! Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1
    http://www.rei.com/product/827093/ca...function-watch
    Not endorsing REI, but they have a nice pic and price. Dang - any more features and I'd expect it to paddle my canoe for me also! Still the size of a hockey puck, but I don't know if they can get them much smaller with the sensors on board that they need. Might work to wear on the OUTSIDE of my jacket sleeeve...or maybe I could convert it to hang from a zipper...its nota need, its notta need, its' notta need....dangit!

Quote Originally Posted by razorsdescent View Post
    sounds like you would be looking at a suunto. They are key players in the electric sport watch market. ill take a look into it for you.
    Thanks Razor, but the Suuntos are a bit big for my wrist. I just pulled the trigger on a Casio SGW-300H. $50+ at my local shop, and it does barometer, temp, altimeter, dual time zones, etc. No atomic time nor solar recharge, but I couldn't walk away from an altimeter/thermometer watch for $50. It's the first non-analog watch I've ever owned, and I blame all youzguys.

Well welcome to the digital age

i hope you enjoy it.

So I have been shopping but not yet buying. I found a place that sells reactor watches. Nice, heavy but nice. The one I tried on was rather tight in the strap, just barely fit. I know there were adjusment points but it would only add maybe 1/2 cm or so to the strap length. Not sure if they add more or what but defintley an option.

I haven't checked out luminox yet but I started reading review on Amazon.com. To my surprise there were a lot of negative reviews. Lots of the same complaints, strap pins breaking, water getting in, and the tirtium vials falling off of the hands. The reviews were spaced out pretty evenly. And it was not just this model either. This is really turning me off to the Luminox brand. Not sure if their quality control has gone down or what.
    You can see the page here.
    http://www.amazon.com/Luminox-Mens-3...0&pageNumber=2'

I might jsut check out some other casio watches, including gshock, and see what they have. Maybe just an analog with a light instead of tritium.... undecided as of now but thats ok becaue my freestyle has at least another 6 months of battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Crewdawg View Post
    You are getting some really good advice here already, so I will just throw in that I still drag around my Timex Expedition ($25) to set my expensive mechanical dress watch every day and it keeps perfect time. I replace the battery once/year whether it needs it or not and it has never failed me...
    +1 on the Timex. Yeah, it is cheap and featureless (except for the backlight button). I have worn one for years now. I replace the nylon sportstrap each year, the battery myself after three years, the entire watch after six or so. Usually because the case and lens it battered. I work construction. I run jackhammers and bust concrete with sledges. I work in wet concrete, dirt, grit and mud. I dive to 10' and stay there for hours at a time. I reach into chlorine water constantly. And I have never had it leak or fail. I am not a watch geek though. I expect it to tell me the time accurately day or night and not die from shock or submersion.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

As the great Andrew Martin once said "One is glad to be of service".

I am leaning towards a few casio edifice watches. No tritium but nice, solar power. Just wish it came with black bands.
    http://www.amazon.com/Casio-EF340SB-...3&sr=1-1-fkmr1
    http://www.amazon.com/Casio-EFA134SB...792127&sr=1-31

Quote Originally Posted by razorsdescent View Post
    the h3 in particular look alot like a rip-off of luminox, for instance this: http://www.traserusa.com/html/P_6504...ail-id-14.html is damn near identical to a luminox seal.
    That'd be because it is. Traser made Luminox watches for years. It's the exact same watch under a different name.
    Chances are that your Luminox was made by Traser.
    I'm gonna throw this in there- for cheap watches, Armitron. They have really stepped up their quality in the past few years.

I absolutely love my Lumi Nox, it is the most durable watch I have ever had.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information