Thread: Where can I buy silicon carbide powder?

Where can I buy silicon carbide powder?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ive been looking for silicon carbide powder in 1500 grit but cant find any..Antone have a source? Thanks
    PS, there is NONE on ebay that I can find..Thanks

Blog Entries
    Try your auto supply store, they may call it "valve grinding compound"

Check with Osram Sylvania...they are one of the top manufacturers of the product.
    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

"Chance favours the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
    #929 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...00+rock+polish

ebay is always a crap shoot.... usually you have to come up with just the right search words. "1500 rock polish" usually works.

edited to say I posted this before I saw the above links.... My only comment is that 1# will probably last you a lifetime.
    -Nick-

This link will take you to the tag-along thread where I made the damascus camp knife (above) from START to FINISH...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/808140-Wheeler-s-Steel-*-Stuck-in-the-metal-with-you

Curious...what are you guys using this for?

I don't want to try and put any words in anybody's mouth, but this thread has led to an awful lot of emails and pm's about where to find 1500 grit powder.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-blade-so-much
    -Nick-

This link will take you to the tag-along thread where I made the damascus camp knife (above) from START to FINISH...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/808140-Wheeler-s-Steel-*-Stuck-in-the-metal-with-you

Thanks so much guys, never thought to use "rock poish" in the search..Nicks wasnt the only recommendation for silicon carbide polish..Several others do as well..The last bit we have slowed down on the tool/axe making and tried to work on knife making...Lisa is much better at the fit finish than I ever was..
    I can weld two popsicles together in a paper fire but get impatient when it comes to fitting guards

you can check with detroit abrasives.
    I offer professional knife sharpening 40 years of experience, 22 with the paper wheels. $1. per inch for a v edge, $2 for a convex. I sharpen all edges & "Ti" knives, serrations. plus i do regrinds. Check out my website.http://sites.google.com/site/richardjsknives/Home

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
    I can weld two popsicles together in a paper fire but get impatient when it comes to fitting guards
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by NickWheeler View Post
    I don't want to try and put any words in anybody's mouth, but this thread has led to an awful lot of emails and pm's about where to find 1500 grit powder.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-blade-so-much
    Damn!!! Beautiful work Nick!!

Kentucky,
    This isn't aimed directly at you, but at the many people who ask similar questions without really looking.

I don't understand you not being able to find it ???

Using - "1500 grit silicon carbide "
    I did an ebay search and found lots for about $7/lb.
    Then I did a google search for "1500 grit silicon carbide powder", and found thousands of internet sources.

If a search does not get you the response you want, use a less defined search.
    A search for "1500 grit silicon carbide powder to do a Nick wheeler style hand finish on a 7" bowie knife".....won't get many hits. Even " 1500 grit silicone carbide powder" may be too specific.
    Instead of "1500 grit silicon carbide powder", use "1500 grit silicon carbide" That will get you:
    1500 grit silicon carbide polish
    1500 grit silicon carbide powder
    silicon carbide powder
    silicon carbide abrasives
    and many more.

A search on the basic product will often get you the type of places that use that product, and can lead you to the sources for those industries.
    For silicon carbide powder you can discover it is used in lapidary, machining, water jet cutting, abrasive blasting, lens grinding, etc. A check under those topics will find sources. Using wikipedia will often give you lots of ideas and links where you can search.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

To be completely fair I didnt read about the powder in Nicks thread first...I first read about it in a post by John White over on the ABS forum..
    I understand Stacy, I tried many wordings and came up with plenty of hits..Just none that didnt sell in bulk..I had no idea to search for "rock polish"..

Since we are on the topic of rock polishes does anyone use cerium oxide for polishing?
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

I use it all the time....just not on metal. It polished quartz and glass well. I never tried it on metal.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Quote Originally Posted by bladsmth View Post
    I use it all the time....just not on metal. It polished quartz and glass well. I never tried it on metal.
    Same here, I have only used it for lapidary. I was reading a section on polishing hamons in The Complete Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas and he mentioned using it.

I doubt I'll try any, I can't stand the stuff! My old shop was covered in it.
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Thread Information