Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For Fans of the old HP RPN Calculators

1. ADVERTISEMENT
    I have seen some of the videos for this and i have loved the old classic look given to it...

4-stack memory?! Man, you gotta get with the times! My HP48SX will stack 500 numbers. That's one sweet calculator!*

*That I bought in 1989, and still use every day.

Four is actually perfect. It's surprising, but true. I have an RPN calculator program for all my PCs. It allows you to set whatever stack depth you want. I experimented with deeper stacks, but I am back to four.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    Four is actually perfect. It's surprising, but true. I have an RPN calculator program for all my PCs. It allows you to set whatever stack depth you want. I experimented with deeper stacks, but I am back to four.
    Hmm. What kind of work do you use your RPN calculators for? I had an HP32 with a four high stack for my first year of engineering school, and found it very limiting.

Have you used a calculator that allows you to scroll through the entire stack? If you have only one line that you can see at a time, I can see how you wouldn't want too many lines to have to remember.

I'm an electrical engineer working in new-product development.

Man had climbed Mt. Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean, he has fired rockets to the moon, split the atom, achieved miracles... all with four-deep stacks... and all without the use of an = key.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

Now that HP's sold out of the things, the secondary market's up to $180-$200. Sad that I missed out.

...Man had climbed Mt. Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean, he has fired rockets to the moon, split the atom, achieved miracles... all with four-deep stacks... and all without the use of an = key.
    That may have just been luck, though.

Quote Originally Posted by knarfeng View Post
    My HP-41C died.
    My HP11C is still functional. Never got a 15C.
    Thanks for the heads up, though. Have to think about that one.
    Well, thank you for making my post for me!

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Now that HP's sold out of the things, the secondary market's up to $180-$200. Sad that I missed out.
    Be of good cheer: I'm sure they will have it back in stock, the thing to do is bookmark the HP web page where it's sold and check it every day like I did. Based on the serial numbers, I'm taking a SWAG that HP is maybe at 5,000+ units out of possibly a run of 10,000 calculators.

Now that I've had more time to play with it, I still like my HP32SII for a simple reason: it can calculate the factorial of a number greater than 69, whereas when I purposely did this with the 15C, the display kept blinking until I turned it off. In defense of the product, the manual states that it can only go up to 69!, but to have it seize like that seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
    ...it can only go up to 69!, but to have it seize like that seems odd.
    You could use Stirling's approximation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
    Be of good cheer: I'm sure they will have it back in stock, the thing to do is bookmark the HP web page where it's sold and check it every day like I did. Based on the serial numbers, I'm taking a SWAG that HP is maybe at 5,000+ units out of possibly a run of 10,000 calculators.

Now that I've had more time to play with it, I still like my HP32SII for a simple reason: it can calculate the factorial of a number greater than 69, whereas when I purposely did this with the 15C, the display kept blinking until I turned it off. In defense of the product, the manual states that it can only go up to 69!, but to have it seize like that seems odd.
    Where are these new runs made?

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyJoe View Post
    Where are these new runs made?
    I believe they are made offshore and through a contract with a calculator factory...

I'm an electrical engineer working in new-product development.

Man had climbed Mt. Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean, he has fired rockets to the moon, split the atom, achieved miracles... all with four-deep stacks... and all without the use of an = key.
    I aways found that if I needed more than four, I did a poor job of setting up the problem.

It was my high school chemistry teacher, George Johnson, who really inspired me. He preached that you must not see a number as just a group of symbols, keystrokes. No. Numbers have meanings. They represent physical things. A weight, for example, represents the material being weighted. And this raises questions such as just how accurate the weight is, what unit of measure is the weight expressed in, etc. In chemistry or physics... or engineering, you must not separate the numbers from these other traits because you're not just doing math with theoretical numbers but are working with physical things.

He taught to always estimate before you calculate. You can catch a lot of errors this way.

He taught us about significant figures.

And he taught us to do "unit math" which is so important when dealing with numbers that represent physical things where you have units of measure.

He did not allow calculators. You either did all your math... and there was alot... by hand or you let him teach you to use a slide rule. His goal here was to expose you to the slide rule but, even more so, the underlying methods that the slide rule teaches.

I learned a lot of chemistry too.

He was one of the greatest... won the Dow Chemical Catalyst Award as best high school chemistry teacher of... as I recall... maybe... 1978.
    Sounds like my high school physics teacher, the nearly-immortal Mr. Stanley.

Sent me off in the direction of a physics doctorate. Eventually, I hit the mark.

I remember him fondly. In fact, I used many of his principles when I was a physics prof myself.

They'rrrreeeee Baaaaaaacccckkkkkk...

Snagged 2.

One happy bastid here....
    "Busse, knives you swear by, not at" - Flatlander - Jan 2006

"Let's roll"

America, love it, or get out.

"No regrets" - thathamguy

L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux

Right-Trough Conspiracy Planning Committee Steward

I still use a HP12C Platinum edition! Love that case style. I might get me a 15C one just to have.

Received this week. Just played around with one a little bit.

Feels a bit lighter, uses 2032 batteries.

Comes in nice Limited Edition box, has single book manual (haven't browsed yet).

Nice thing is it comes with a PC Emulator to load up (and register), so now my laptop will not have an " = " key.. WOOHOO!!

Now, how to get/find (create? riiiight) a USB (or wireless) pad that will allow me to use thumb mothions to enter vs a standard mouse...
    "Busse, knives you swear by, not at" - Flatlander - Jan 2006

"Let's roll"

America, love it, or get out.

"No regrets" - thathamguy

L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux

Right-Trough Conspiracy Planning Committee Steward

I found a HP 15C app for my iPhone (search: rpn calculator free). The only thing that's kind of weird to me is having it on a touch screen and the buttons are a bit small. I really like the tactile feedback that the actual HP calculators have.

Anybody have any other recommendations for RPN calculators for an iPhone?

Ric
    Last edited by Phydeaux; 09-29-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add info for search

I use ReallCalc on my Android, and you can set it up for RPN (which I do). It looks like it's available for iPhone/iPad too.
    -Aaron

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information