Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BladeForums BEST BOWIE - 2011 Edition - Voting CLOSED, Finalists Selected

BladeForums BEST BOWIE - 2011 Edition - Voting CLOSED, Finalists Selected

ADVERTISEMENT
    Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to all - I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful holiday season.

This will be the fifth annual BEST BOWIE (Fighter, Camp Knife, Large fixed blade) thread. As with years past, this is more about gathering and displaying a diverse virtual assembly of the state of the bowie as it exists today.

Lorien has kindly volunteered to help with the vote-counting again this year. And I am pleased to extend a special thanks to Dave Crawford who has once again generously agreed to donate an engraved plaque to the maker of the winning knife.

Just a refresher on how things work. I’d particularly encourage those who are new to the event to have a close read.

What types of knives are included?

This is NOT an attempt to define the bowie knife in either historic or contemporary terms. While I appreciate that people have strong feelings on the subject, no-one is in possession of a conclusive, exhaustive and universally-accepted definition. As with all past years, bowies, fighters, camp knives and generally any fixed blade that meets the size requirements are welcome to be included amongst the nominees. Both stock removal and forged blades are equally welcome. Daggers are excluded, as are Khukuris and traditional Tantos.

What are the other requirements?

There are 3. 1) Timing - the knife must have been made in 2011 - or first shown on Bladeforums in 2011 - the idea is to keep things current. 2) Dimensions – blade length of 6” and up. 3) Must be a custom knife.

As before, ownership - doesn't matter – the nominated piece can be a knife you made, a knife you own or somebody else's knife all-together that you have seen and admired. I would particularly encourage makers to show what they feel is the best bowie THEY made this year. This is no time to be shy. Also, feel free to point to the work of one of your fellow makers that stood out to you or caught your eye this year.

How to post up your nominees.

There is no limit on the number of entries at this, the nomination stage - as many as you like that meet the above criteria. We'll run this over the holidays to collect as many entries as we can, then narrow it down to 5 finalists that everyone gets to vote on in an open poll. BUT - Please number your entries 1 through however many you have in any single post -. So to be (hopefully) clear - each NEW post should start with the first knife shown being numberd "1". This will make the process for selecting finalists MUCH easier. You are not ranking your entries (i.e., your favourite first), just numbering one through however many you tender in a single post to facilitate the vote counting. Also be sure to give us the name of the maker of each knife you enter.

Finally - only two "please don'ts". Comments on and discussion of the knives posted is most welcome and encouraged, but please don't quote an earlier post and reproduce the image already shown. This can lead to confusion when it comes to tallying votes, as the same knife shown 2 or 3 times has its votes scattered. Also, please refrain from voting until nominations are closed and the opening of voting is announced.

Beyond that - show us some knives, tell us what you like about ‘em and have some fun.

I'll start off with a few in two consecutive posts to (hopefully) get the whole numbering thing started off right, then sit back and enjoy yours.
    Last edited by RogerP; 12-31-2011 at 12:30 AM.

1. Don Hanson III – Ladder Pattern Bowie

Thought I’d give Don the first nod in recognition of the fact that he has arguably racked up the most nominations over the years. As with most years, I expect choosing between the compelling Hanson entries will prove difficult, but this recent piece Don posted up really caught my eye. The Damascus flat out rocks, the ivory is typically outstanding, and the lines traditionally Hanson (which is to say, excellent).

2. Jason Knight – Founders Bowie (Paranee Design)

Two great limited-run series of battle-ready blades were organised by collector stud Joe Paranee, who had input into the design and worked closely with the makers. Both are nominated as a series – a vote for any one knife in the series is a vote for all.

The first is the Jason Knight Founders Bowie – a superbly executed fighting blade that, to borrow a description from Paranee, delivers the power of a freight train with the handling of a Ferrari. Well done gents.

3. John White – Legacy #3 – Damascus Dogbone D-Guard

John White’s Legacy series of knives collectively reflect the state of the art for this extremely talented bladesmith. This particular knife presents a unique combination of two classic aesthetic elements of the bowie genre – the dogbone handle and the d-guard. Stunning engraving / gold inlay by Joe Mason highlight a compelling design.

4. Nick Wheeler Fighter (Paranee Design)

The design goals of combining BIG power AND speed in a compact, portable fighting knife were admirably achieved here. This series has a bit more variation as to handle material and blade finish, so I have selected two knives to represent the series, from the most basic (synthetic handle, belt finish) to the most fancy (premium wood, active hamon). Again, a vote for any knife in the series will be a vote for the whole series.

5. Steve Culver – Searles Bowie

The Searles represents an absolute classic design from the historic bowie genre, and this contemporary rendering by Steve Culver is one of the nicest I have seen.

1. Kyle Royer – Damascus / Blue Ivory Bowie

Take away all else and the lines of this piece are so sharp you could cut your finger on the photograph. But the “all else” is all good. Tightly controlled Damascus, eye-popping ivory and beautifully executed fittings combine to make an outstanding piece.

2. Lin Rhea, Samuel Lurkin Collaboration Bowie

Just a compelling package that successfully blends stylistic elements from both makers. In blade you have a powerful chopper and an imposing fighter. Big, bold, broad-bladed goodness here.

3. Ron Newton – Damascus Spearpoint

The spearpoint is another classic blade profile – lending an inherently strong tip to knives that were called upon in the dual role of sidearm and camp / trail tool. This piece by Ron Newton presents some stunning, super-tight ladder pattern damascus, beautifully conceived and executed fittings and superb walrus ivory for the handle. The subtle touch of gold adds a light ouch of embellishment to a knife that needed no more.

4. Burt Foster – Laminate Bowie

Burt Foster’s stainless-over-carbon laminates rank among the most exciting design / construction developments in recent years, IMO. This is a great example of that application in easily portable dimensions. If you could only carry one knife, a knife such as this would be a good one to have.

5. Michael Ruth Jr. “Ruthless Fighter”

Michael really has an eye for the long, lean fighter as presented here in the latest rendition of his “Ruthless” fighter. West Texas Wind pattern Damascus and stunning walrus ivory make a strong first impression, and the wonderfully executed damscus fittings make an even stronger second impression.

6. John Cohea – Frontier Bowie

John Cohea has really emerged as a force to be reckoned with in frontier-style pieces. His knives and sheaths combine to transport the owner to a better vanished time. (credit to Rush for that particular turn of phrase.)

There have been many terrific knives in 2011 - I'll be adding more, but what I'm really looking forward to is what you all have to show. Have at it gents.
    Last edited by RogerP; 12-26-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Wow, I have already seen 5 vote worthy knives!

1. Russ Andrews, MS, Ladder Pattern Damascus, Sambar Stag, Sub Hilt Bowie

2. Ron Newton, MS, Feather Pattern Damascus, Red Mammoth Ivory Bowie
    Last edited by ptgdvc; 12-26-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Wow! Can anybody say, "Competition!". This has been an amazing year with awesome blades. I would like to throw this Hanson into the fray:

- Joe
    "If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

Nice opening gambit for this year’s proceedings, Roger. Thank you for those, and for managing this thread. I was taken with this one from Tad Lynch:

details in this thread:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ad-Lynch-Bowie

Definitely one of my favorite threads of the year. I am looking forward to seeing a whole lot of fine knives again. I would like to add these 3 at this time.

1. Bruce Bump MS "The Judge"

2. Tom Ferry MS "The Widowmaker"

3. John Perry MS Stag Bowie

Jon
    Last edited by jklein7401; 12-26-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Wow...

Holy Cow, what a year it's been!!

Thanks for both the thread and the nomination Roger!Here are a few I would like to throw in.
    The bowie from Jon Klein's matched set

guardless bowie/ fighter from the Murray White matched set

Recurve D Guard Bowie

Elk Stag Bowie

March of Dimes Subhilt Fighter
    The DVD "Basic Rawhide Sheath Construction" now available! http://jmcknives.blademakers.com

Heres a Damascus Bowie from Dave Cole. Mammoth handle, Musk ox spacers, Damascus im not sure who's Im sorry about that but I just cant remember where It came from. But its Beautiful..

Attached Images Attached Images
    HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit

LINK to Handle materials, mammoth, musk ox, burl, etc.

One more from Dave Cole Its a Damascus blade with Walrus tooth and buffalo horn spacers. Another beauty!

HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit

LINK to Handle materials, mammoth, musk ox, burl, etc.

John Cohea, your #1 above from Jon Klein's set was one one of my choices for best of 2011, perhaps even one of the best "primitives" of all time.

Click on logos for info
    My Collection & Available Knives: http://www.kevinjonescustomknives.com/

KevinThanks a lot!Randy, the blade steel on the first Cole knife you posted was forged by Dave Lisch.
    The DVD "Basic Rawhide Sheath Construction" now available! http://jmcknives.blademakers.com

I'm always hesitant to submit besides all of the beautiful work here but I would have to say that this one was my favorite of what I made this year:

No-Can Powder Mosaic--15N20, 1084 & 2% powder w/walrus handle

This outstanding feather pattern piece by Dave Lisch deserves showing:

Gary
    Gary

ABS, CKCA, AKA, KGA

Beautiful Lisch piece... I was just searching for one of his to nominate.

I'd like to nominate the following Sfreddo piece. It blew me away when it was first posted.

Here in another great Dave Lisch knife - a feather D-guard - his first !
    Note the feather in the guard as well

sorry I don't have the link to the original, so I could put this directly into the text here

Bill

Here are few more beauties.

1. Kyle Royer Persian

2. Kyle Royer MS Test D-Guard

3. Shaun & Sharla Hansen Perisan w/mini

4. Rodrigo Sfreddo MS Gaucho Integral

Jon

Some great knives already. Jon how about your Fuegen, Cook, Ruth and Newton bowies?

Marcel

My collection & available knives: http://marceldierijck.fototime.com/welcome

Here is a unique Jon Christiensen San Francisco type - "tree theme", with bark, going up into branches, and then leaves. Fossil Ivory, Sterling silver on sheath.

and a close-up, which shows it better:

Bill

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information