Thread: How do I clean ceramic sharpening rods?

How do I clean ceramic sharpening rods?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have a Lansky sharpening system that uses ceramic rods in a V set up. The finer set of rods were originally white but are now steel grey all around, and do not seem to work as well as they used to. Does anyone have any experience with cleaning these? I thought about soap and water, but I am afraid that the powdered steel imbedded in them will rust and cause bigger problems. Vinegar or another acid of some sort maybe? Thanks for the help in advance.

Peat

CT It is a little state with big TAXES!!!!
    Ajax or comet, hot water and paper towels works for me.
    Dave Loukides
    ABS Journeyman Smith

www.prayerknives.com

I always clean my lansky stones with Dawn and water. No rusting problems. Can't see how the ceramic would be any different.

Soft Scrub with a magic eraser after every use, huge difference. Ajax or Comet will the same.

Commet or bar keepers friend and a green scrubby pad

Dont use agressive abrasives. I use a synthetic rubber eraser as a stone cleaner. PM me your address and I'll mail you a free stone cleaner!!!

I have used ajax/comet with a green scotch brite pad until I found the Rust Eraser and I use that between sharpening and I don't even have to get them wet using the rust erasers
    RAT PACK #95
    My RAT Picture Gallery

SPYDIE FANATIC #020
    My Spyderco Picture Gallery

I also use the magic erasers. Cheap, small, works...no mess.
    A Beer is alot like a woman they look good they smell good, and you'd jump over your own mother just to get one!

"There are 3 B's in my life Booze, Babes and Blades, I am not sure which one will kill me first.....but eventually one will".....They call me Barrabacon!

Hi, I have successfully cleaned ceramic sharpening rods back to new condition by immersing them in a wine bottle full of brick acid ( Hydrochloric acid ) and leaving for 24 hours.Works a treat,dissolving all the metal particles even stainless.
    You can easily get this acid from a builders supplies.
    Hope this helps.
    Biffo

Thread Information