Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GEC #73 Scout: Need Advice, Please

GEC #73 Scout: Need Advice, Please

ADVERTISEMENT
    Evening, gents.

I am getting interested in a GEC #73 single blade Scout model, and would appreciate advice and guidance, especially as to:

1) Comparative size. I know it is 3 3/4" closed, but not having handled one, it is hard to get the overall picture. I would much appreciate any side-by-side comparison pics with other knives, esp. GECs. A shot from above, showing the scales and blade thickness, would be especially welcome.

2) Liner lock or slippie? I'd appreciate any observations/opinions, especially from anyone who has both.

3) Any other opinions, pro or con.

Thanks very much for your help.

Andrew

here you go. (this is a 2 bladed, but same frame).

Next to a Tadpole barlow. This is a 3 inch handled knife.

With a #23

The yellow handled knife on the right is a single bladed #23 for comparison. A tiny bit thicker than the single bladed #73 should be just based on the blade thickness and back spring.

I guess I don't have any in hand pics of the patter that I can find.

The feel in hand is pretty good. I wear a 2XL glove (which are a bit tight). The 73 pattern is just about right in my hand for a medium pocket knife. Not too small, enough handle to grip and use. A single bladed would be even more comfortable (the exposed spine of the 2nd blade makes the pattern a little less hand friendly, especially if you are cutting with more force, like making fuzz sticks etc).

In hand wise, it is pretty close to this Canoe/Gunboat by Queen. (not the same handle shape, but the handle is roughly the same length if I remember correctly, sorry, closest in length of handle I think I have a pic of right now, and don't have the time to grab the camera).

the 73 frame is just a great middle ground size for a user. Pretty "people" friendly as well.

the single blade 23 is still relatively slim, and trim in hand.

The 2 bladed 23 is a handful, and much meatier in the hand and pocket.

The #73 pattern does not feel big or clunky even with both blades. So the single would feel only that much more svelt and pocketable.

I don't really like the liner lock's because the liner lock design leaves the liner above the rest of the handle, and in my hand it feels a bit in the way. Not a ton, but just a bit. Having it exposed makes me feel as if it would be easy to disengage when you needed it to stay put. This is just conjecture. I have had a liner lock do this, when the lock was not even exposed higher than the handle scales (where it cut me).

I just like the pattern as a slip joint. I have not felt under knifed without the locking blade.

The blades are pretty thin, and pointy from GEC. But strong enough to make a decent user knife. I can't think of anything I would need a slip joint for, that the blade would not do.
    Last edited by Bigfattyt; 01-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFAustin View Post
    Evening, gents.

I am getting interested in a GEC #73 single blade Scout model, and would appreciate advice and guidance, especially as to:

1) Comparative size. I know it is 3 3/4" closed, but not having handled one, it is hard to get the overall picture. I would much appreciate any side-by-side comparison pics with other knives, esp. GECs. A shot from above, showing the scales and blade thickness, would be especially welcome.

2) Liner lock or slippie? I'd appreciate any observations/opinions, especially from anyone who has both.

3) Any other opinions, pro or con.

Thanks very much for your help.

Andrew
    I have a #73 single blade scout, which I won't picture because BFT's pics are so much better than mine.
    - As for size, I normally carry a 3 7/8" stockman, but find that the #73 fills my hand just fine.
    - Lockback vs. slipjoint? I only have the slipjoint. I have little interest in lockback traditionals.
    - Other opinions? I find the #73 to be a very satisfying knife. I particularly like the shape of the blade.
    Recommended.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

I'll chime in for the linerlock. I EDC a single blade linerlock #73. Very comfortable knife to use, your index finger sits in front of the lock lever so I don't find it gets in my way. The lock is well designed and i haven't had one disengage. Bear in mind if it did disengage the knife is still sprung, like a slipjoint and every one I have had came with a half stop so you still have some safeguards. I guess I like the lock because I do sometimes have to work in a hurry, piercing with the tip in pretty grim weather conditions (I've had a slipjoint close on me in these circumstances).

The #73 is by far my favourite GEC pattern

There's one thing about GEC. There are many models and the secondary market is fairly robust. Try both the liner lock and the lock back if you like. Sell the one you like the least. The important thing is to end up w/ a knife that you like.

The #73s do come with half stops, which is nice. I have a two blade #73 and a #73L. I do appreciate the Linerlock at times, but this is a hard use knife and at times I could be in jeopardy without an added lock.
    These pics are not the best, but it's too cold outside for me to get better.

Gentlemen, thank you all so much. I am grateful for all your time and trouble in putting up the very helpful pics and comments---just what I needed to know!

If (maybe I should say "when" ) I take the plunge, I'll put up a pic or two. But it may have to wait a bit----my knife funds are depleted by the incoming GEC #48 single blade trapper that I recently talked myself into (with help from equally kind traditional forum enablers).

Andrew

The slipjoint 73 is rather strong in the spring, so if you like a soft opener- these are not for you.

As a single-blade it's a first rate all rounder, not too big or too small for most tastes or hands! I have also 2 linerlock models of these and I like them enormously, secure safe and the lock doesn't impede in any way. The square end construction of this pattern, both 2 blade and single, is a interesting feature as well.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.....

The 73 Slipjoint is a great knife. It is very pocket friendly for such a capable knife. The slipjoints do have strong springs. The newest batch of them with genuine stag and burnt stag are much easier to open then the old ones though. You can always ask the dealers to check out the exact knife you are looking at for the pull rating

I have never handled the liner lock to give feedback.
    Kevin

I received a #73 with single blade, no liner lock and Bocote handles for Christmas. I really like the way the single blade fits the hand. I also have a serpentine jack and a toothpick from GEC. The jack has two blades of course and I don't think it carries as well as the #73 or toothpick. As has been mentioned, I think the springs on the #73 would make the liner lock unnecessary. I sent mine back to the factory yesterday to see if the tension could be lightened a bit.

I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Andrew

Thanks for the additional comments, gents. Still debating the liner lock vs. slippie choice. I don't mind a fairly strong spring, but an extreme or nail busting one is not for me. I do see that several different slipjoint versions, including the cocobolo I have my eye on, were released in August, 2011: http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/...e-end-trapper/ So I'm wondering if those all have the lighter spring that's been mentioned.

I'll send an e-mail to Christine at GEC about this and post what she has to say.

Andrew

Andrew, they might but I haven't personally handled any to say yes or no.
    Kevin

I have a 72 in Ebony Wharnie blade and this is a lockback
    It is very thin with a very easy spring
    72 is the same frame as the 73

Worth considering?

See this vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSMF...eature=related
    Neeman

Thanks for that video link, neeman. I do like the looks of the #72 mini-lockback. Honestly, though, I'd be most interested in one with a clip blade like in the video, but the only ones I see available (other than protos) are the spear and wharnie.

Also, I heard back from Chris at GEC. She didn't address the specifics of the recent "softening up" of the #73 springs, but did say generally that some of the single blade #73s are softer, but not necessarily the 2-blade models.

Andrew

From what I have gathered the lockbacks will have slight blade play by design.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    Kevin, thanks for pointing that out. I do remember now that that could be an issue with lockbacks back in my Spyderco days.

Andrew

Your welcome Andrew. I can't see how it would be anything to hinder function. I just brought it up incase you are a nut about blade play.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    I'd echo that. Just received my #72 which has significant blade play. It looks like the frame splays very slightly towards the blade making tightening the frame (a short term solution at best) not an option

This shouldn't need to happen, I have a Fallkniven TK3 which is as tight as a ducks nether region in every direction.
    Last edited by avoidspam; 01-05-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: TK3!

Yeah, sorry to hear that Sam.
    Kevin

Cheers, Kevin, tis a bummer as the kids of yesteryear used to say

Still, on a positive note and back on track the #73 pattern seems much less prone to this illness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information