Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Swamp Rat knife.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    The RMD is 3/16" thick SR101. And for a knife its size, that's PLENTY thick enough.
    Thanks How would it be for EDC? Too big?

I don't think so. It's sort of interesting what's going on with pricing at the moment. Dan decided that he's selling the 711 too cheaply, so he's going to raise the price to $139.00 on Sunday. That's how much a RatManDu costs. And they're both made out of SR101. So you can have a 1/4" thick camp knife with a Res-C handle or a 3/16" thick utility knife with a Micarta handle for the same price. Either way, you can't lose. You just need to figure out which one you need more.
    Last edited by bld522; 02-17-2012 at 05:50 PM.

I think the RMD is my best bet. I can get it much faster, it's a shorter length so easier for concealed EDC yet still long eough to do tough tasks and everything I could reasonably need it to do

Congratulations on making a wise decision. You won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    Congratulations on making a wise decision. You won't be disappointed.
    Thanks. Is the RMD still capable of batoning and all that good stuff?

Yes, it is.

Get both!!!

Agreed . . . especially while the 711 is still available for $119.95. That won't last too much longer. And how often do the Fabulous Busse Brothers start you off with a built-in profit from Day 1?

Talking EDC you cant really compare the 711 to the RMD, they are two different knives. The 711 is a fairly big knife, good at chopping, the RMD is a very usefull medium sized knife, good at very different tasks, but not chopping. Carrying both into the wilderness, would be a perfect match.
    As a EDC i would go for a smaller knife as the 311 or the Rodent Solution, which both are avaliabel at shops right now.
    Good luck

Agreed, although the definitions of "chopper", "camp knife", "fighter", "survival", "utility" and "EDC" can and do overlap. I've seen "choppers" used to make feather sticks for kindling and "EDCs" used to chop through car door hinges. When it comes to what a knife can be used for, Paul Simon said it best . . . . "one man's ceiling is another man's floor".
    Last edited by bld522; 02-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.

I actually watched a few videos of a guy chopping with the RMD as well as using it as a step and for a 5.5" 3/16" thick knife it was pretty beautiful.

No surprise there. Check out Cliff Stamp's review of the RMD's shorter predecessor, the Howling Rat. It's also constructed of 3/16" thick SR101:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/rev...wling_rat.html

Pay close attention to the section on Heavily Abusive Work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information