Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 287

Thread: What's your latest SAK?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,851

    ADVERTISEMENT
    I have at lest 8 Alox Vics and picked up another just this week. A green alox Classic. I was looking at a Rambler in Alox but they are selling for $80. The Classic was $13. A great deal!!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas USA
    Posts
    644
    Today I'm enjoying my alox Bantam, received last week, just prior to the Pruner pictured earlier in the thread.

    This is a great minimalist tool. It's big enough to feel like a real knife, but look how thin it is!



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Blue Ridge Foothills
    Posts
    331
    My latest is the Vic Alpineer, my first 111 mm SAC. Love it!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas USA
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Richard View Post
    My latest is the Vic Alpineer, my first 111 mm SAC. Love it!
    Nice! That's about as minimalist as the 111mm SACs get, I reckon.

    How do you like the ergonomics on the 111mm's? I've heard some good, but a lot of bad too.

    I think if I ever get a 111mm model .... and I'm not sure I will ... it will be The Fireman.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Blue Ridge Foothills
    Posts
    331
    The Alpineer feels like it was custom made for my hand, and with the locking blade it almost feels like a small fixed blade knife.

  6. #26
    My latest SAK is an Explorer. I like the inline phillips and mag glass.


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,812
    My latest addition is a MiniChamp.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hillbilly Country West Virginia
    Posts
    5,157
    Another blue farmer.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Ft.Worth
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Shrimp Moe View Post
    Today I'm enjoying my alox Bantam, received last week, just prior to the Pruner pictured earlier in the thread.

    This is a great minimalist tool. It's big enough to feel like a real knife, but look how thin it is!


    Ahh, traffic in DFW. Great photo, and use of your time sitting in traffic! I have a couple of Bantam's both in alox and cellidor. Love them!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Ft.Worth
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Shrimp Moe View Post
    Nice! That's about as minimalist as the 111mm SACs get, I reckon.

    How do you like the ergonomics on the 111mm's? I've heard some good, but a lot of bad too.

    I think if I ever get a 111mm model .... and I'm not sure I will ... it will be The Fireman.
    The thing with 111mm SAK's is if you get them too big then they don't fit the hand very well. Another thing is if your hand is on the smallish side then you will not like them either. They work great for me but I have rather large hands. I especially like the single and double layer models as they fit perfectly and are not too bulky to carry.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas USA
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
    The thing with 111mm SAK's is if you get them too big then they don't fit the hand very well. Another thing is if your hand is on the smallish side then you will not like them either. They work great for me but I have rather large hands. I especially like the single and double layer models as they fit perfectly and are not too bulky to carry.

    My hands are pretty large, not meaty fingers but long fingers. I'm a 6'3" 190lb man. What do you think is a good model to test the 111mm platform? I was thinking of a Fireman or a Rucksack or the GAK version of the one hand Trekker. I don't particularly want a one or two layer model. My thinking is it's going to be a big knife anyway, so may as well add a few layers. But I don't want it so thick that the ergonomics are bad. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Mud Shrimp Moe; 01-13-2012 at 09:10 AM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hillbilly Country West Virginia
    Posts
    5,157
    How about a outrider or hercules?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas USA
    Posts
    644
    Both the Outrider and Hercules look pretty cool to me!

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON Beckerhead #287
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Shrimp Moe View Post
    Both the Outrider and Hercules look pretty cool to me!
    The Outrider is a great SAK. Little big for pocket carry, at least for me.

  15. #35
    Black handled recruit

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rainville,Oregon
    Posts
    4,151
    My latest Vic is the Swisstool Spirit X,but am waiting on a Vic Manager.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Ft.Worth
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Shrimp Moe View Post
    Both the Outrider and Hercules look pretty cool to me!
    The Outrider is a must have! I love mine. It is one of the few 111mm SAK's that have a scissors and it is not too big to carry around in a pouch or such. The long reach Phillips screwdriver is fantasticly easy to use.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Ft.Worth
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Shrimp Moe View Post
    My hands are pretty large, not meaty fingers but long fingers. I'm a 6'3" 190lb man. What do you think is a good model to test the 111mm platform? I was thinking of a Fireman or a Rucksack or the GAK version of the one hand Trekker. I don't particularly want a one or two layer model. My thinking is it's going to be a big knife anyway, so may as well add a few layers. But I don't want it so thick that the ergonomics are bad. Your thoughts?
    I would have to recommend the Outrider as your First 111mm or the Fireman if your are more of an outdoors use type person. The 111mm SAK's are available in both liner lock and the older style sliding pin lock with the button on the back. Both have their advantages and some say disadvantages. Left-handers do not get along very well with the liner lock versions. The sliding pin lock works very well but it does leave some play and there are some folks who just expect too much from a $30 knife.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hillbilly Country West Virginia
    Posts
    5,157

    What's your latest SAK?

    I have a hercules with botton lock and love it.


    Sent from my Ash forum mobile

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hillbilly Country West Virginia
    Posts
    5,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Knife Crazied View Post
    I have a hercules with botton lock and love it.


    Sent from my Ash forum mobile




    Sent from my Ash forum mobile

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •