Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In use Update: Blue Para 2- how low can you go?

In use Update: Blue Para 2- how low can you go?

ADVERTISEMENT
    (EDIT: Usage experience update below.)

I've had positive experience with the M390 mule at low edge angle and a 30deg microbevel. So when my M390 Para 2 arrived I decided to really thin down behind the edge and put a 30 deg microbevel on. I don't know the actual angle as it was freehand.

Thing is, after lowering the angle it was so deliciously sharp I couldn't resist trying it out before putting the microbevel on.

It simply fell through tomatos and carrots and out of curiosity I did some gentle whittling, expecting to see some edge damage. Surprisingly there was none, so for the time being I have decided to leave it as it is. The knife will have to be a "light-use, in line slicer" as any lateral force will surely knacker the edge. I'm not sure how long it will survive but I hope to limit edge damage to that which will be removed by a micro bevel alone.

Anyone care to share experiences of really low angles in M390?

I'd also love to know what hardness the Para 2 M390 is; seemed easier to remove metal than I expected.
    Last edited by xavierdoc; 01-20-2012 at 06:21 PM.

WOW, that looks GREAT !!!!

I shoulda done that, and might still (ordered two)...great post as always!

I'm looking at my S90v Para2 with a 10 degree per side edge and it appears that yours is slightly thinner. That's gotta be an amazing slicer. And if M390 performs like S90v, which I hear it does, then it should be tougher than you'd think. When the factory edge wears out, I plan on doing the same thing on my M390 Para 2. Nice work!

Thanks for the pics, waiting for my m390 p2 to show up.

I got mine down to a zero degree edge, and the dang blade disappeared. Whats up with that?

I've done a 13 degree per side grind on my M390 AFCK (gasp I know I'm on the Spydie forums) and it holds and edge pretty well. I've cut some light cardboard, tape, leather and whatnot without issue or damage (rolling, chipping or otherwise). It'll cut through most anything effortlessly. Having said that...

The AFCK is a saber grind that does not allow for the kind of slicing the FFG Spydercos can do. I don't have a M390 Para2 yet, but if I ever get a hold of one here on the forums or if BentoBox stops Ebay-ing them...I just might get one.

If anyone sees one, please point me in the right direction .

I just ordered another one last week. It's being shipped this weekend.

Darn you guys keep costing me money! I just ordered...hopefully it ships soon like mjolnir74...

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle View Post
    I got mine down to a zero degree edge, and the dang blade disappeared. Whats up with that?

hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle View Post
    It's in the next dimension since you cut a quantum string when you got it to zero. What did you expect?

mines here tomorrow or the next day, CAN...NOT...WAIT

Quote Originally Posted by Razorsharp-Travis View Post
    mines here tomorrow or the next day, CAN...NOT...WAIT
    Bad luck- tomorrow has been cancelled due to lack of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnknives View Post
    I've done a 13 degree per side grind on my M390 AFCK (gasp I know I'm on the Spydie forums) and it holds and edge pretty well. I've cut some light cardboard, tape, leather and whatnot without issue or damage (rolling, chipping or otherwise). It'll cut through most anything effortlessly. Having said that...

The AFCK is a saber grind that does not allow for the kind of slicing the FFG Spydercos can do. I don't have a M390 Para2 yet, but if I ever get a hold of one here on the forums or if BentoBox stops Ebay-ing them...I just might get one.

If anyone sees one, please point me in the right direction .
    Thats what Im saying man!! When I saw that I was like wtf thats not right, they have my $20!!

Please keep us updated on how that edge holds up. Thanks for the pics

what is the hardness on the steel? wasn't shown on the sheet that came with the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanifred View Post
    what is the hardness on the steel? wasn't shown on the sheet that came with the knife.
    Did the Spyderco Edge-U-Cation sheets for other knives show the Rc range?

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Did the Spyderco Edge-U-Cation sheets for other knives show the Rc range?
    well not that I have seen, actually. But i was always able to find out online from a forumite. and it seems nobody knows about this one. maybe i'll contact ole sal

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir74 View Post
    Please keep us updated on how that edge holds up. Thanks for the pics
    I have been enjoying the low angle (angel ) and thought I'd post an update.

The knife has been used for day-to-day tasks incuding food-prep, hard-core envelope opening, whittling and such like. I also specifically did some cardboard and christmas tree cutting.

Cardboard demolition:

Clearly not my forte- though the knife sliced really well (I stuck to going across the corrugations, the more demanding way.) One box had a load of gluey stuff in the seams and was much harder than all the others. Luckily no staples.

Christmas tree demolition:

Edge after EDC:

Edge after EDC and card:

Edge after EDC and card and tree: Subtle Micro-chipping in a few places.

In comparison- Unused factory edge:

The knife still feels sharp to the pulp of a finger dragged perpendicular to the blade and it will still slice free-edge of printer paper but without that silky, resistance-free glide it had before. It won't shave forearm hair but is cutting well in realistic tasks.

In short, I am impressed with how well this edge has held up to my EDC tasks (and more). Personally, I do not need a knife to rip up plaster board and I wouldn't choose a folder for this task; I doubt this edge would stand that sort of use for long.

I am going to put a 30deg microbevel on as that will make maintenance a doddle. I will keep you posted as to how it holds up in further use.

Thanks for posting these results! This PM2 in M390 looks like it can be an amazing slicer with the low angle bevel ... and be fairly robust too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information