Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new Condor Dadao

ADVERTISEMENT
    Got it!! damn what a monster, gotta get pics up with some of my other bigger blades. Heavier than i thought it would be but good balance and flows good. Now i wanna run around the house yelling "HASSAN CHOP!!!"

Just got mine too! What a beast!! This thing lops off branches with zero effort! I'll snap some pics tomorrow for your viewing pleasure. Upon initial inspection, my tip had been rounded off, probably in shipment.... No big deal, I'll put one back on it. I was under the impression that it had a convex edge and black coating, but it doesn't have either. Not really an issue for me and rust or not, I prefer the blade uncoated. The sheath is excellent, and the overall fit and finish is a bit rough, but at this price, I don't care at all. All I can say is money well spent! I'm in knife heaven today.

I forgot to mention... I just put it on my scale and it reads 2.4lbs. I will freely admit that I don't know how accurate my scale is, but I think the listed weight is shipping weight with the box and all. It doesn't feel that heavy to me, considering that it is a full tang sword...

Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    Got it!! damn what a monster, gotta get pics up with some of my other bigger blades. Heavier than i thought it would be but good balance and flows good. Now i wanna run around the house yelling "HASSAN CHOP!!!"
    It's BRUTAL isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by draggat View Post
    Just got mine too! What a beast!! This thing lops off branches with zero effort! I'll snap some pics tomorrow for your viewing pleasure. Upon initial inspection, my tip had been rounded off, probably in shipment.... No big deal, I'll put one back on it. I was under the impression that it had a convex edge and black coating, but it doesn't have either. Not really an issue for me and rust or not, I prefer the blade uncoated. The sheath is excellent, and the overall fit and finish is a bit rough, but at this price, I don't care at all. All I can say is money well spent! I'm in knife heaven today.
    It does have a coating--it's just clear lacquer. I've brought the packaging issue to Rick's attention and he's forwarded it to the right people at Condor. Some models have boxes that are too loose, and others have them too tight. In both cases it makes them prone towards the knife/machete tips perforating the end of the box. I have yet to see one with good and proper damage like it sounds like yours has, but I've seen some that were asking for it.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    It's BRUTAL isn't it?

It does have a coating--it's just clear lacquer. I've brought the packaging issue to Rick's attention and he's forwarded it to the right people at Condor. Some models have boxes that are too loose, and others have them too tight. In both cases it makes them prone towards the knife/machete tips perforating the end of the box. I have yet to see one with good and proper damage like it sounds like yours has, but I've seen some that were asking for it.

Thanks for making a packaging suggestion to the fine folks at Condor. I actually was going to buy this from you, but you didn't have it in stock and the $ was burning a hole in my pocket... Went to another forum supporter though. The tip isn't that big of a deal. If it was a regular knife, I would send it back, but honestly, I'm going to take this thing and beat the snot out of it in the back yard, so whatever.... I'm actually happy that Condor is making these a bit rough. Not only is it probably more in line with the real ones, but it keeps the price low so that regular people can afford them. However, if hey did improve their packaging, I wouldn't complain. At least they don't box them up inside the sheath!

Quote Originally Posted by draggat View Post
    Thanks for making a packaging suggestion to the fine folks at Condor. I actually was going to buy this from you, but you didn't have it in stock and the $ was burning a hole in my pocket... Went to another forum supporter though. The tip isn't that big of a deal. If it was a regular knife, I would send it back, but honestly, I'm going to take this thing and beat the snot out of it in the back yard, so whatever.... I'm actually happy that Condor is making these a bit rough. Not only is it probably more in line with the real ones, but it keeps the price low so that regular people can afford them. However, if hey did improve their packaging, I wouldn't complain. At least they don't box them up inside the sheath!
    Actually, it would be better if they boxed them in the sheath! If it really was uncoated that would be an issue, but the blade and edge are protected by a clear coat.

— Mervyn Peake

seriously, someone take a video CHOPPING!!

That thing is intense. I wanna see it working

Second BePrepared's request. Seriously want to see something smited.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
    Second BePrepared's request. Seriously want to see something smited.
    Not just some thing. All of the things. All of them.

— Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Not just some thing. All of the things. All of them.
    You know, I would be fine with that amendment to my request.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

There will be no things left for anyone else.

— Mervyn Peake

Only Condor Dadao's.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

I got one comin' (ordered here in Germany along with a Paul Chen/Hanwei Banshee and a Cold Steel Gim). All I gotta do is...waiting.Not that easy for me....

I like that they did the simple and sensible thing of making the ring pommel integral rather than welding a piece of stainless onto the tang like on the Hanwei dadao. Not sure what they were thinking with that, as it's otherwise a very nice sword.

— Mervyn Peake

42Blades, I got a Military Dadao and I have to say... it's a great sword with the right proportions. And moreover...it works very well. It came not so sharp, but this was no problem.

Yeah like I said it's otherwise a great sword--the welded on stainless ring pommel just kills me though. What's the point of forging a ring pommel only to weld it on? Why did it even need to be stainless?

— Mervyn Peake

Yes, you're absolutely right. That's no sense.

If they just had the ring formed from the end of the tang like a traditional one I'd be totally sold on it. I love it in every other respect, but that welding silliness just ruins it for me.

— Mervyn Peake

How thick is this beast? I've been thinking of getting a machete but I think a woods sword would serve the function just as well. As for the ring... A hacksaw will take care of that

Quote Originally Posted by medcommander View Post
    How thick is this beast? I've been thinking of getting a machete but I think a woods sword would serve the function just as well. As for the ring... A hacksaw will take care of that
    I LIKE the ring on the Condor. I don't like the ring on the Hanwei because of the welding. The Condor is 1/4" thick at the spine. I think you'll still want a "normal" machete as well, but the Dynasty is a one heck of a fun tool!

— Mervyn Peake

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information