Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Love for Orange Blossom lobsters?

Any Love for Orange Blossom lobsters?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Been trolling this forum for a few years, but seldom see lobsters or even pearl scales. I have a small collection of these beauties so I thought I would start one focusing on the famous gun stock whittler lobster pattern. For reference: Levine’s IV Page 260: Four blade gunstock lobsters have a top deck like a whittler. The double-thick spear master blade rides the full width of the spring at the narrow end. Two small blades ride the on the split ends of the spring at the wide end. This four blade gunstock lobster whittler is called the “Orange Blossom” named by Tom Bradley, Jr. of the New York Knife Company in honor of his Civil War regiment. the 124th New York Volunteer Infantry (the Orange Blossom Regiment). In the 1920s and 1930s a pearl handled orange blossom was one of the most expensive pocket knives a person could buy. Charles

Lets see your photos.

Her are a couple of my NYK.Co #1 has old stamp and #2 has Hammer Brand stamp and a shield.DSC02113.jpgDSC02114.jpg

Here is a Remington with blade etch. Charles
    DSC02123.jpgDSC02124.JPG

Here is my PACIFIC HDW & STEEL CO ORANGE BLOSSOM KNIFE ETCHED. HAS FULL CLEAR ETCH"STILETTO"(1901-1918) knives made by Napanoch.

DSC02118.jpgDSC02119.jpg

Beautiful collection, Chuko.

Those delicate beauties were a top-of-the-line premium pattern in their day. Companies like Remington would sell them for $25 to $50--a ton of cash in the 1920s--whereas a big Bullet Trapper sold for around two or three bucks. I know the hefty Hunters and Trappers can make for an impressive display and all, but IMO, if you want to see the old cutlers at the top of their game, the small multi-blade gent's patterns like Whittlers and Orange Blossoms represented the state of the art.

Thanks Rick I have enjoyed collecting these as they are wonderful examples of the craftsmanship used to build early day knives. Here is a Miller Bros. Charles

DSC02121.jpgDSC02122.jpg

Charles ....these lobsters are just beautiful. Love the history of the Orange Blossom . Are they in the the 3 to 3.5 inch range?

Thanks. All of the knives I have regardless of maker are 3 1/8" closed. Here is a Robeson Shuredge version. Charles

DSC02116.jpg
    Last edited by chuko; 01-15-2012 at 08:44 PM.

One leg up on Gus' short bus in Bastidville.
    I really like the pattern from the point of the skill involved in making them. Do not own any yet, but hope to someday. Thanks for posting these beautiful knives.
    "There is no further education to be gained by the second kick of a mule".

Please read the Forum rules.

Here is a mint condition Orange Blossom pattern gunstock whittler Master blade Etched <Hickory> with same tang mark. Smaller blades marked Kelly S. Thompson. Goins: lists this mark to Kelly-How-Thompson Co 1902-1947, a hardware firm in Duluth, Minn. Levines IV indicates these knives made by Napanoch, Charles

DSC02125.jpgDSC02126.jpg

Charles, you have some very nice Orange Blossom pattern gunstock whittlers.

Thanks for posting them here for all to see.

You've shown a very nice Robeson example.

Here is an etched Masonic version of Robeson's 742082 pattern with its original box with guaranty.

There is a reflective phenomenon at the end of the master in this photo that makes it look tarnished. It is not. All blades have a beautiful crocus polish and the knife is unused and unsharpened.

Robeson also made this pattern knife as a Terrier Cutlery Co. item between 1910 and 1916. I've yet to locate one for my collection, but I have seen one in a nice display of pearl handled knives, called "Century Of Pearls" at a knife show in Waterbury, CT in 1997.
    Charlie Noyes
    De Oppresso Liber

Thanks Charlie for sharing this really nice mint Robeson with box. I have a number of different makers of this pattern, but no Terrier Cutlery versions either. Maybe tomorrow I can get some new pictures up of a few more of mine. Charles

Charles, This is a nice thread you started. Here's a pair of ULSTERS one pearl and one stag. Barry

NICE! I think this is the first stag to be posted. I certainly don't have many, most of mine are pearl. Thanks for showing, Barry.

Charles

Here is my Moore Handley Hdw Co Gunstock Whittler Knife 3 1/8" closed, master blade full at 98% and marked (Moore-/Handley/Hdw Co). All blades are marked and walk and talk. Handles are pearl. no cracks. (1883-1962) knives made by NYK Co., Boker, Schrade, & Camillus. Charles

DSC02120.jpg

Excellent thread and superb knives Charles. I have a few (at least 1 of them was yours) but they are at my 'other' home which i can't access for another 2 months. Too bad, i would love add pics of my Orange Blossoms.
    roland

Here is my Winchester Pearl Knife #4320 “Orange blossom” 3 1/8" closed, master blade full at 95% and marked (Winchester/Trademark). All blades are marked and walk and talk. Handles are pearl, no cracks. Charles
    DSC02162.jpgDSC02163.jpg

Here is a rare Empire-Winsted Conn (1856-1930). This one has a hairline crack through the shield. Charles

DSC02164.jpgDSC02165.jpg

These are both Cattauragus #1 with a crest shield in excellent condition and #2 with an oval shield in very good condition. Charles
    DSC02166.jpgDSC02167.jpgDSC02168.jpgDSC02169.jpg
    Last edited by chuko; 01-22-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Interesting. My father was born in New York City in 1924 and lived there for 40 years before he moved to San Diego. He is always in disbelief at the price of lobster, and says when he was a kid it was considered a "poor mans food." Since he was poor he became well aquainted with it. He still tells stories of nickel ice cream sundays. Funny that the lobster knife was one of the dearest knives of the time, does anyone have insight into why this would be? I guess rich folk were onto lobster before it became a "luxury" food.... ???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information