Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever seen anything creepy?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by bush-haus View Post
    Wow.... Not sure how I would react to that, exept pack up and run.... And run... And run. You and your friend were being watched for a while. Creepy to say the least.
    Right? I want to laugh, but it's actually pretty creepy.

I'm degenerating into poop stories now..... but I have to tell this one. Forgive my childish enthusiasm.....

There is a story around here about a gang of outdoor workers. One of them needed a dump, so he went off behind some bushes to lighten his load. Unknown to him, a buddy crept up behind and caught the, err, waste on his shovel and went away quickly.

I understand that the guy taking the dump was quite perplexed afterwards. It sure felt like he'd laid a log.........

Quote Originally Posted by coote View Post
    I'm degenerating into poop stories now..... but I have to tell this one. Forgive my childish enthusiasm.....

There is a story around here about a gang of outdoor workers. One of them needed a dump, so he went off behind some bushes to lighten his load. Unknown to him, a buddy crept up behind and caught the, err, waste on his shovel and went away quickly.

I understand that the guy taking the dump was quite perplexed afterwards. It sure felt like he'd laid a log.........
    Hahaha I've got a camping trip with my buddies coming up, I'll have to try this

I've seen some odd things, mostly the run of the mill, random stalker type events in more populated areas. But to the question of why we feel this "intuition" or whatever that something is wrong, we do know that the "below conscious" (don't want to use the term sub-conscious as it can be misleading) filters huge amounts of info for our normal "functional" mind. The recent explanation of the optical illusion of a curve ball is just this way, part of your brain tells the decision making part of the brain what it needs to know, when it needs it. I figure that sometimes our brain picks up these little clues, and we have a "gut feeling" that helps us out, and the other half of the time, especially in the woods, the filters have nothing to do, so our brain starts adding "noise" back into the signal, and we get that gut feeling. Its been proven that people really don't like pure silence, and in the dark, when you are awake your brain will start to "see" things that "should" be there if your eyes were getting any light. It all comes down to patterns in noise. the human mind is a huge pattern finding machine, and it will find those patterns, even if they are not there. Three blobs become a face, sounds without a source become a threat, and silence becomes deafening noise. Just all brain static. That said, I trust my instinct because I know that at least one of the times my brain will have seen or heard something that I didn't see or hear consciously, but is vitally important.

There are some very interesting stories here and there are some biomechanical reasons why this stuff is really intriguing.

I am a Biologist by trade so I have a pretty solid Science background and I do believe in the effectiveness of rationality and deductive reasoning. That being said there are SO many gaps in our understanding that it is absolutely arrogant to assume that we can grok all the dynamics of the "real world" or what's ACTUALLY out there, beyond the mediation of our central nervous system. A great example is the electromagnetic spectrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:El...c-Spectrum.png): I know this is likely not news at all to most of you but it still floors me whenever I think about this. We assume that our senses are revealing the world as it is when in reality the senses act more like a reduction valve, showing us only the most evolutionarily relevant parts of the picture. In reality, the percentage of the electromagnetic spectrum we actually "see" is tiny in comparison to the total scope of the spectrum. The same is true regarding the percentage of sound frequencies we are able to hear. Sure, we now have machines that can measure the totality of the electromagnetic spectrum but this is just an example: our bodies and brains construct the world as we experience it out of selected pieces of information that are filtered out of the overall informational matrix; they do NOT show us the world as it is.

With this knowledge (and the work of Freud and Jung) in mind it is easy to surmise that there is all sorts of information being funneled past our CNS receptors that never make it into the rational portion of our mind that we would associate with our thoughts. Otherwise stated, it is completely possible that we receive and process a lot of information sub- or un-consciously and therefore the notion of instinctual behavior has a serious biomechanical underpinning, and all signs point to "instincts" being really vital signs that we should learn to pay attention to. I for one always listen to my instincts, and have a story that can illustrate the effectiveness of these feelings.

It was the first time my family took me to our camp and I had never been in a place more remote than the old wood lots that surrounded our house in the recently developed part of the city we were living in at the time. I'd got my fair share of splinters, stings and bites playing in those woods but there were certainly no dangerous animals around and as such I had never been educated about what to look out for while in the woods. So, we had been visiting a relative who lived up in that area permanently when my uncles decided to go drinking at some hunting shanty. Since the adults didn't need us around cramping their style my oldest cousin (he was probably 16 or 17 at the time, and I was maybe 6 or 7) was designated to take the young ones back to camp. We had about a half hour walk back and were in an area that is mostly a fishing village, so although there are some permanent homes there it's pretty rural and there was no street lamps or anything like that at the time.

The whole way back to camp I KNEW there was something wrong. I felt it the moment we left the home we had been at and started walking. None of the cousins my age seemed to notice but my older cousin eventually started to look spooked. I kept asking him what was wrong and he kept brushing it off saying he didn't know what I was talking about and I should stop trying to scare the others. Well, it was dark that night and you couldn't see 30 feet to any side of yourself. What I was able to see, however, was something like 8 or 10 glowing green orbs trailing us at about 40 feet--just outside of our visibility. I tugged on my cousin’s arm and pointed it out to him but he just shook his head and told me to be quiet and keep walking. The rest of my cousins chatted away like nothing was going on.

That night we were supposed to sleep outside. We had set up our tents and such earlier in the day around the fire pit but the moment we got back to camp my cousin rushed us all into the little cabin that was on our property, and as soon as we were all in he slammed the door shut, told us that NO ONE was to leave and then ran to the bathroom and started to get sick. He came back and sat us down and told us we had just been stalked all the way home by a pack of Coyotes.

Apparently he didn't notice it until I first pointed it out to him and by that time we were about half way home. He was well experienced in the woods already but had drank a beer or two that night, so I think his instincts were off He then took us to the window and we watched as the green orbs circled around the cabin. All you could see was their eyes in the distance...they always stayed JUST outside of our visibility, but the feeling never left me; not even when were inside. They circled the cabin all night and I honestly think they were waiting for one of us to leave the cabin alone...and that poor soul would have been a goner.

So...at the time I had never heard of a Coyote: since we lived in the city it had never been explained to me and this was our first night at camp so my uncles were just kind of overwhelmed by all the stuff there was to do and unfortunately did not give us the safety talk (that was planned for the next day before the hunting started haha). So, it just goes to show that you should pay attention to that nagging sensation that something is not right...because as other have said: if you feel that way it is probably because SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT! I had no idea there were dangerous animals out there and I certainly didn't know that the glowing orbs I saw were eyes, but I knew whatever it was it meant danger. Just felt it in my bones. We didn't survive hundreds of thousands of years of predation through rational thought alone: instincts are real, all animals have them and despite what some of us would like to believe we are definitely animals.

That reminds me of something that happened back in the late 70s to my dad. We lived in the foothills of the Adirondacks in upstate NY and there was a problem with "coy dawgs" or large packs of feral dogs in the area, but we hadn't seen or heard anything as of yet. One night he took our dog outside for a quick walk and heard something moving in the tall grass behind the house. He had one of those old plastic dim floodlight things that took a square lantern battery and shined it in that direction and saw the reflection of what he said was well over a dozen sets of eyes, not moving, just staring at him. When he came back in the house I think that was the only time I'd ever seen him scared. Every night for the rest of that month he carried the Ithica 37 shotgun on the dog's walks, and bought his first serious handgun -- a Colt .357 -- shortly thereafter. Meeting one or two strange dogs at night is spooky enough, but nearly walking into the middle of a full pack is something else. Those dogs stuck around the property for over a week, and they would circle the house at night and howl. My dad was convinced they wanted to eat our collie. Eventually they moved on.

I am also normally packing at least a stout knife or some bear repellant these days when I take my dog out anywhere that's not overly populated. More than anything I fear for his life to be honest, as I let him go off leash and think he's a much more likely candidate to be picked off by a pack of Coyotes or a big cat than I am. Unfortuantely around here predators are becoming more and more of an issue as we are continually appropriating their natural habitats for residential construction and therefore driving our homes deeper and deepr into "their territory."

I think it happens a lot more than we'd like to admit tyr: if we're spending time in woodland areas or if we live in those areas there is more than likely predatory animals, whether you see them or not. It's just really freaky to be reminded that OFTEN they probably see YOU even if you have no clue that you're being watched. We think we're pretty smart with all of our technological developments but we forget that this stuff is already existing in the natural world: there are things out there with better senses than our best technology and they don't need to be taught how to use it. They know how to use it and won't be shy to use it on you if you present yourself as prey.

There is a lot of talk regarding Sleep Paralysis on this thread and I have some stories to share about that as well. I was a long-term sufferer of Sleep Paralysis; from the time I was very little until I met the woman who is now my spouse and started sharing a bed with her. I don't know what it is about sleeping with her beside me but I have not had a single episode in all the years we have been together: the last episodes I remember occurred during University and they were particularly strong. That does make sense however. Apparently excessive alcohol consumption, sleep deprivation and stress all add to the likelihood of one having an episode of Sleep Paralysis, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you all that my University experience packed with all of those things

So, here are some general facts I noticed about Sleep Paralysis over the years:

- It happens almost always when you are sleeping on your back. Out of something like 50 different episodes during my lifetime all but one of them occurred while I was sleeping on my back.

- It happens more easily when you’re sleeping on a soft surface than a hard one. I had the most frequent episodes while sleeping on things like couches or futons. I don't know exactly what it is about this that makes it happen but I've talked to other Sleep Paralysis sufferers and they've often said the same thing; that they suffer more frequent episodes when sleeping on things like couches, folding beds and air mattresses than something with more structured back support such as a proper mattress. I actually took to sleeping on the floor for a long time when my Sleep Paralysis was the worst. I found this greatly reduced the frequency of the episodes. Not to mention that my posture had never been better haha!

- Stress is definitely a factor. It happened to me the most when I was stressed out. Also, the more stressed out I was the more dramatic the episodes would get.

- The hallucinations are not limited to "something sitting on your chest." I have had a huge variety of differing hallucinations, both visual and auditory (sometimes it was both at once and other times one or the other).

Now for what you're all really after...some stories! I've got too many to tell so I'll just share some of the freakiest ones. Most of these happened when I was young and hence did not yet know about Sleep Paralysis and basically just thought I was having scary experiences. That is probably why these stick out the most as being "scary" to me...at the time they were unexplained phenomena so in my memories they were much scarier than the episodes that occurred after I had learned about the biology and psychology that underpins Sleep Paralysis. Also as a kid I was reaaaally into paranormal stuff so I was pretty predisposed to thinking that these episodes were "real."

One of the strongest fear reactions I ever had is associated with the "shadow figure" phenomena. One time when I woke up into a Sleep Paralysis state I had fallen asleep backwards on my bed, so that my head was at the foot of the bed, which was pretty close to the bedroom door. As I lay there paralyzed and looking at the door, a black, hulking shadow passed through the door. It was almost as tall as the ceiling in the room (which was about 8 feet high). It stopped directly above me and extended what looked like a sword...the whole figure was one featureless, morphing black shadow so it wasn't a sword per se, as there were not distinct features, but it was a long black shadow that extended out from the shadows "hands" and the whole situation just felt extremely threatening to me. My motor control came back as it raised the object and began to thrust it down toward me and I scrambled up to the head of the bed in fear. By the time I got there the figure had disappeared and things were back to normal. I did not sleep the rest of that night.

I frequently would get woken up into a state of sleep paralysis where it felt like there was something watching me...but there was nothing there. This feeling was often associated with hearing what can only be described as "a thousand tiny voices." I don't know if any of you have ever had this experience but it is quite frightening. It was like I could hear thousands of whisperers all saying the same thing in slightly different voices...sometimes it would be my name, sometimes it would be something like "we can see you", sometimes it would be menacing laughter and one time when I felt particularly threatened it was a thousand screaming voices that were saying GET UP GET UP GET UP. I did not sleep the rest of that night either

The one time that I had and episode while sleeping on my side I saw something particularly disturbing. I had fallen asleep facing the wall, and when I woke up the wall was alive...it was surging and moving with motion and at first it looked like a nest of snakes. As my eyes focused in I realized that it was not snakes...the wall was a living mass of glowing forearms and hands that were ALL reaching out for me and trying to grab me and pull me towards them...the hands were just falling short of me and I wanted nothing more than to back the f@#k up but of course could not because I was paralyzed. That one was no fun...it lasted for a good five minutes and when I regained the ability to move the visions did not fade immediately...the hands slowly receded into the wall one by one. I actually cried that time because I was so terrified, and I was about 15 at the time so crying wasn't something I let myself do unless I just couldn't control it. That one still sticks with me as being a really terrifying experience...even though I now "understand" the biological conditions that triggered it.

Most of the time the experiences were much milder. It was usually just a white, indistinct blobby figure that sat on my chest and prevented me from moving. A few times I would see this thing making its way towards me and then it would "jump" up onto my chest and it wouldn't go away until I could move again. Other times I would wake up and the thing would already be on me. A few times it was hordes of insects that were holding me down...nothing like waking up feeling like you are so heavily covered in spiders or beetles that you can't move I had the shadow figure thing happen a few more times as well but never really felt threatened by it like I did the first time: most times there was just one or two shadowy figures in the room with me and they basically just watched me from a distance until I could move again. It has now been about 5 years since I've had an episode of Sleep Paralysis and I've got to say that if it never happens again I am definitely OK with that!

Talking of only seeing the eyes watching you, we used to get that when operating farm equipment at night. When you have to walk back to the truck or quad from the tractor, do you take the flashlight which will make you see all the little eyes watching, or do you walk in the dark and risk tripping on something. Funny sometimes how spooked you can get from a squirrel fart!

Wife, Granddaughter and I were hiking in the Killdeer Mountains of North Dakota in broad daylight and we decide to go up to Medicine Hole. The hike up to Medicine Hole is 1.25 miles at a pretty good incline. I had both my dogs with me, a six year old Collie male and a four year old German Shepherd male.The climb up was uneventfull until we neared the top and then I started getting "the feeling". I stopped and had a drink of water while I scanned my surroundings and saw nothing. During this break the dogs took up positions on each side of the party and laid down and I didn't see or missed any signs of nervousness on their part. We continued to the top of the butte and walked over to Medicine Hole and took pictures. At this time I turned and almost tripped over my German Shepherd. He was glued to my leg and had his hackles up, head turning to right and left like he felt something but couldn't locate it. My Collie was standing beside my Granddaughter and turning his head the same way...like there was a scent he couldn't quite catch. At this time I'm thinking mountain lion or wolf, but we have run across both before and thinking back this was not the way the dogs act. The Wife was feeling a little prickly and I told her and the Granddaughter to eat a sandwich and we would start down. Neither dog would eat their part of a sandwich, that got my blood up. We finished up and started down, the Collie would not leave my grand daughter and the Shepherd instead of taking point stayed right at my side. As we would come to a brush pile or stand of trees he would fluff up and start his stiff legged walk all the time turning his head like he couldn't locate the threat. We got to the bottom and got to the truck without incident, Both dogs acted like they expected incoming while we were loading up. It wasn't till we were on the road headed home till the hairs on my neck laid down and the dogs started relaxing. Wife said it was the ghosts of the indians and calvary that fought there that had us spooked. I don't know what it was but I went back about four years later with the shepherd and didn't have a repeat performance.

Quote Originally Posted by badlander View Post
    As we would come to a brush pile or stand of trees he would fluff up and start his stiff legged walk all the time turning his head like he couldn't locate the threat. We got to the bottom and got to the truck without incident, Both dogs acted like they expected incoming while we were loading up.
    There's things that can't be seen that are as real as what can. I believe dogs and other animals feel these realities more than we do but there is no denying that humans have an ability to know when something is not right around them. My world view includes the reality of the supernatural but I don't go looking for it for fun times. I get my understanding of it from the Bible and believe it to be both true and useful for understanding and teaching on these things.

There is a lot of talk regarding Sleep Paralysis on this thread and I have some stories to share about that as well. I was a long-term sufferer of Sleep Paralysis; from the time I was very little until I met the woman who is now my spouse and started sharing a bed with her. I don't know what it is about sleeping with her beside me but I have not had a single episode in all the years we have been together: the last episodes I remember occurred during University and they were particularly strong. That does make sense however. Apparently excessive alcohol consumption, sleep deprivation and stress all add to the likelihood of one having an episode of Sleep Paralysis, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you all that my University experience packed with all of those things
    I suffered for years from this and thought I was going mad. Media had a big influence on the episodes. Mine revolved around aliens. I watch allot of scifi! Many alien abduction stories are from Sleep Paralysis sufferers. They just don't know it. They stopped for me when I watched a TV show about. Never had one since. I even participated in a study. Strange stuff!!!
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

The only thing you can guess about a broken down old man is that he is a survivor - Joe Sarno
    BECKERHEAD #154

Quote Originally Posted by unit View Post
    Where was that? somewhere in Missouri?
    Every time I'm on BF and I see a post from Unit. That ghost hand taking control in his signature block creeps me out. (e.g. post #80 on page 4)

Gen 27:3 Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow-and go out into the fields and hunt some wild game.

I don't have any creepy stories, but i think this thread is very interesting and like reading your accounts of these types of things. So keep those stories coming!

I used to listen to George Noory on Coast to Coast when I had to drive to work at 3 am once in a while. He usually had some interesting stuff to talk about, usually paranormal and UFOs. Haven't had to go into work early for along time so I haven't been listening to him.

Ric

I really enjoy some of these stories.

Story of my own, not overly creepy but still creepy none the less. Maybe odd more so. But several years ago a friend and I were paddling the Grand River and came around the bend found the head of a horse laying up on shore. We didn't spend much time to investigate just paddled the hell outta there!

I havent seen much that was creepy. I have seen one thing that made me a bit nervous at first, it was a coyote hung from a horizontal tree like you see people carrying hogs on poles in the movies.

I found out later that it was put there to keep more coyotes off our property. It was taken down a few years later and I started hearing coyotes after that.

Every time I go out for a hike. In whatever mountain. Or even just when passing through the wooded university (University of the Philippines - Diliman) at night to the place I rent. I would always whisper for me to be given passage and that I was just passing by and I whisper the plea every few minutes or so. Early this year I tried to do a training climb up Mt. Makiling and it was also my first time there, to this day it still bends my mind as to how beautiful that place is. A few hours into my hike, I came upon a turn in the trail and to my right is a steep and long way down. I noticed two wide leaves, about the size of 3 human palms, and about 1.5 to 2 meters apart in a row. What piqued my interest was the way they were swaying, they were swaying quite lively. But there was no wind and the breeze was not perceptible. And the leaves in between them were not moving at all, as well as the leaves around them. Even the leaves on the trees were not moving. Just that pair of leaves. And so I pushed my way in prayer for a safe passage. Ultimately I abandoned the hike because of the heavy rain and my slow progress. What could be causing the phenomenon? Spirits? I don't really know, but just as well, I treat my self as a visitor who is subject to the whims of the host, and so I always as for a safe passage along the trail.

Interesting. Thanks.

Read through this whole thread, and as I get to the end of the last page, my sliding door decides to creak without anyone or anything touching it. It does this a lot, but holy cow that was great timing...
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic318088_2.gif
    May your life be more than a series of chance events.

What a great thread, after a couple days, finally finished up. When i was younger i was very much into the supernatural and horror type stuff. I used to live in the sticks back in Florida as well. Nice quiet town. So one day i decide to have an exorcist marathon. I had already watched part 3, but decided to start with that again, then i would watch part 1 and 2. It was afternoon time, and my parents were out and wouldn't be back till early evening or so. So i'm sitting alone on my fathers recliner finishing up part 3. Credits finish, and the VHS stops. I get up to switch the movies out, but halfway getting to the TV, the TV and the VHS player just power completely off....... There's no way the clicker could have been accidently pressed, because both were sitting on the side table next to the recliner......What the hell just happened. I stood there for a few moments, wondering why both the TV and VHS powered off. I decided to forego the other 2 movies and maybe i would just relax in the room till the folks came back. I come to the beginning of the hallway(my room is all the way at the end), and for some reason the hallway is pitch black. It was the afternoon, so there should have been some light coming from the kitchen to hit the hallway, but it was eeriely black, and it felt like the house was unusually silent. Now i was completely freaked, and after a few moments of being scared i decided to bolt out of the front door and run to my grandparents house which was a few blocks away.

It wasn't until i was about 22 that i had stopped watching scary/horror type movies. They just started to affect me like never before. I remember it really hit me when i was about 22. If there was a commercial for the grudge, or something, i would get this terrible sensation, and would not want to leave room, or look outside the window. Never felt scared like that since the exorcist incident.

Last thing again when i was younger, a sisters friend was staying with me while her and his older brother went out. My parents were out of town. So we're hanging out watching tv, when all of a sudden my basset hound starts howling like crazy. At first we didn't think anything of it, but when she wouldn't stop and would move from different areas of the house, we were sure then something/someone was outside. Started loading up with the knives, swords, and bats. I lived on about 2 acres of land, so if someone was out there, they had plenty of space to hide. We flashed some light from the window, but didn't see anything in the backyard, but the dog was still a bit uppity. We opened the back door, and tried searching the backyard with the flashlight, when we passed over well house, there were definitely two shining eyes from the light. After that we called the cops, then hopped into the car and drove down the street. The cops didn't find anything that night, but the next day when we checked the well house, there were shoes prints(from my dad, the officers or myself of course) which would be normal, but the thing that wasn't right were the barefoot prints. So someone was definitely walking about the house that night close enough to alert my basset.

Never had sleep paralysis, but i did have an ex that had a couple, and when she told me about them, it freaked me out a bit.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information