Thread: SOG Powerassist type of steel

SOG Powerassist type of steel

ADVERTISEMENT
    Does anyone knows what type of steel is used in SOG multitools blades? I searched all over the net but without any success.
    Many thanks.

It says stainless on their website. I'd guess they mean AUS-8 since that's the stainless steel many of their past and present knives use.

Well, I don't think so and here is why: if a company that it using AUS 8 as a general rule and it shows that explicitly on their blades by stamping that on their blades, why not using that on their flagship (Powerassist) or anywhere else (official site)?

I found a link that lists the steel as AUS-8. It lists the handle as just "stainless steel". It's possible that the blade and handle use a different kind of stainless steel. Maybe they listed the material as stainless steel on their website instead of AUS-8 so they didn't have to say that the handle wasn't made from AUS-8. I'm just speculating though.

http://sogknives.com/wordpress/2007/...g-powerassist/

Edit:

In the 2012 catalogue it lists the steel as 420 stainless.

http://www.sogknives.com/news/press/...12_Catalog.pdf

I believe AUS-8 is the better steel.
    Last edited by mr_andersen; 01-21-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added link

So, it's 420. Maybe we can have the possibility to change that crappy steel with a better one in the future?

That seems to be the direction SOG are going in. That's why I collect Seki made SOG's and not their current ones made in Taiwan from thinner and/or poorer grade steels.

I wonder when they made the switch from AUS-8 to 420? That first link was for the prototype, maybe they never made any out of AUS-8.

At least they could opt for the 420HC like LM did.

Thread Information