Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Schatt and Morgan Heritage series

ADVERTISEMENT
    That thing looks great! Thanks for the in hand shots as well, as they really help size things up. My cattleman came a week ago or so and I was very disappointed in it from the get go. Blade grinds look like an undulating horizon line and the main blade has an unacceptable amount of side to side. After seeing your woodsman, however, I can't help but want to order one and hope for the best. Nice knife there!

I was getting some spotting so I gave it a patina with some Tapatio.

Josh

My $.02. Just got a cattleman in the butterscotch bone. Which I might say is real nice. The f&f on my knife was pretty good. Scales are excellent and fitted nicely. Sheild just a little proud but I kinda like it like that. No gaps in the back springs.
    Blades came faily sharp and with a few swipes on the sharpmaker they got real sharp real quick.
    My only problem with the knife is that the sheepsfoot is sitting just a little low. So that the nick is just barely above the main blade. It has a real hard pull and if your thumbnail is too short you can't get the blade open. Now if it loosens up that should not be a problem for me. All in all a decent knife with real buttery scales. I'll let it ride and work for awhile.

Tapatio just not for Pizza and Burritos anymore...............
    Jim

"Hold Fast"
    "TEMPUS FUGIT MEMENTO MORI"

5. Cholula goes well with everything. Never tried it on a knife blade though.

Thanks for sharing everyone! It' looks like the Woodsmans have more consistency then the Cattlman, at least they're priced more reasonable!

As you might know most of my knives are Queen and S&M
    I am prepared to overlook their poor grinds and occasional blunder
    But!
    I am very disappointed at their 'flagship' best knives are so poorly constucted

I just recieved the Ebony Premium and the Bone Cattleman
    They are lovely to look at

But unfortunately when you open them up, there is a terrrible drop of quality
    Soft and hard pulls, springs that at high on the liners when open, and then the trerrible grinds, where the sheepsfoot are not even straight
    They just don't work as quality high-end production knives

So sad that such a good company has lost its quality control
    Neeman

You are not alone! The last major runs of the S&M knives are the ones with worm groove jigging. These are awesome knives, just as you would expect from S&M. The new Heritage knives look to me like they were made somewhere else other than Titusville.

Russell

Finally have a Premium in bone ordered, I am curious to see how it stacks up against my less expensive Stockman's from Case, Buck and Utica, and more expensive ones from Ka-Bar/CSC.

Quote Originally Posted by supratentorial View Post
    Cholula goes well with everything. Never tried it on a knife blade though.

I'm more of a Tapatio man myself. But thanks for the laugh.

- Christian

Quote Originally Posted by neeman View Post
    As you might know most of my knives are Queen and S&M
    I am prepared to overlook their poor grinds and occasional blunder
    But!
    I am very disappointed at their 'flagship' best knives are so poorly constucted

I just recieved the Ebony Premium and the Bone Cattleman
    They are lovely to look at

But unfortunately when you open them up, there is a terrrible drop of quality
    Soft and hard pulls, springs that at high on the liners when open, and then the trerrible grinds, where the sheepsfoot are not even straight
    They just don't work as quality high-end production knives

So sad that such a good company has lost its quality control

I couldn't agree more on the lack of QC and what gets let out of the factory, especially on the pieces that are supposed to be the top of the line. It's all the more frustrating since we know how good a knife they make when it gets done right.

When I saw this year's Heritage models I was pretty taken with a few of them, the Woodsman most of all. Unfortunately, past experience tells me there's no way I'm taking the chance of buying a Queen/S&M sight unseen any longer so getting one will have to wait until I can hold it in person or get it from a fellow forum member whose evaluation of the knife's condition and quality I could trust.

I'm happy for the folks who have received nice examples and sympathetic with those who have not. The existence of that split is not at all surprising and at this point I feel tired of seeing it continue. I suppose that means I should try to focus my thoughts on something else for a while.
    ~ Nate

dang was looking to order a woodsman but i think im gonna pass until i start hearing and seeing better qc coming out of Queen. really bummed out, i love the looks of these models.
    For reviews on Atwood's, knives, gear, lights and much more:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xtonesterx?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by xtonesterx View Post
    dang was looking to order a woodsman but i think im gonna pass until i start hearing and seeing better qc coming out of Queen. really bummed out, i love the looks of these models.
    yah so that didnt quite work out. just ordered a woodsman in bone lol. hopefully i get a good one!

Anymore pics of the Woodsman? I need something to hold me over until mine comes in!

I really like the looks of these too. But when I hear someone like Neeman so unhappy it puts me off even more. The pictures of poor grinds was one thing, but I am used to seeing Neeman support this company until blue in the face.

Kevin

i gotta say i was a little hesitant at purchasing a woodsman hearing about all the quality control issues of others, but im happy i took the plunge. the one i received has very nice fit and finish. besides a minor gab between the liner and backspring every thing is perfect for me. Queen did a great job on the color of the bone scales, probably some of my favorite. i love the stockman pattern and the size of the woodsman makes for a great heavy use edc.

Great looking piece! @xtonerstx

Excuse me my stupid question; which steel is used for the blades?
    The long-pulls make it look really nice

Kind regards
    Andi

Quote Originally Posted by Humppa View Post
    Great looking piece! @xtonerstx

Excuse me my stupid question; which steel is used for the blades?
    The long-pulls make it look really nice

Kind regards
    Andi
    thank you! im pretty sure they are using 1095 on all the heritage series.

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    I really like the looks of these too. But when I hear someone like Neeman so unhappy it puts me off even more. The pictures of poor grinds was one thing, but I am used to seeing Neeman support this company until blue in the face.

Kevin
    Kevin,

That is a remarkably polite comment

And true...

That said
    New grinds on the Ebony Premium
    and ignoring all the other faults ...
    It is a great user
    But not a collector
    Neeman

Quote Originally Posted by neeman View Post
    Kevin,

That is a remarkably polite comment

And true...

That said
    New grinds on the Ebony Premium
    and ignoring all the other faults ...
    It is a great user
    But not a collector
    Thats good to hear

I hope I never come off as rude. I just say what I think and what looks good for my tastes and uses. The main thing that bothers me about this series is the recurve I am seeing on almost all the blades. Like an unskilled sharpener went at the blades and didn't look back. I don't use rods, belt sander, paper wheels, curved stones or anything similar to sharpen my pocket knives. So, when I see a knife with a recurve all I see is a pain in the neck for me to sharpen. I like blades that are straight from choil to belly. That way I can lay them flat on a stone with very little manipulation needed. Sure belly to tip takes skill, but not like an unintentional recurve.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude. Its just something I have learned to hate.

Kevin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information