Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Kershaws' do you just not like? Why?

Which Kershaws' do you just not like? Why?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi, this is intended as an informational thread to potential Kershaw knife purchasers. Please list a knife (or more) and then explain what about that knife made it go into your trade/sell drawer and not become an edc. Lets make the explantions more about the ergonomics and overall feel of the knife, not just a rare quality control issue. This is NOT a bash Kershaw thread, if you want to do that, do it elsewhere...

Kershaw Rake: I really want to like this knife, and i love its looks and composite blade, but i just can't get a comfortable grip on it. Something about the upswept blade along with handle shape just doesn't work for me.

ZT 350: An ok knife, but doesn't fit my large size hands well at all. The ZT 300 while larger, handles better and even carries better in my pocket. Also has a slightly lower market feel (at least to the grips) that no other knife in the ZT lineup has. IMO if you can afford the ZT 300, then there really isn't a reason to have the ZT 350.

Kershaw Skyline: Just got one a few months ago and while the flipper action is smooth and fun, when it's time to choose a gentlemans' folder i choose a Leek (or Speedform II) over the Skyline every time. The straight back design of the handle just isn't as comfortable in the hand as the more organic Leek design is. I don't know, maybe it just didn't live up to the hype for me...

Kershaw Talon, Needs Work, and Packrat: All nice knives but i struggle to get a comfortable grip either while opening or using these knives. The Talon should maybe be excempt based on the fact it's obivously a specialized knife design. The Needs Work cutting angle is too extreme for my tastes, and the Packrat's small handle with the large swell at the end combined with the blade shape make using it akward.

Just to compare, i love and carry the Kershaw Spec/Speed Bumps, ZT 200 and 300, Kershaw Tyrade, Avalanche, Leek, JYD and Speedform II. I highly recommend any of these knives and find that they work in their intended roles well.

Thanks and i look forward to reading other reviews.

This will be an unpopular answer. The Leek. I just don't like the shape of the blade. Really don't like knives with blade edges that straight. Just my opinion - I know almost everyone likes Leeks.

Everyone has different hands that's why they make different knifes, I guess. The Rake is perfect for my hand as is the 0350. Also like my Walmart Barrage except for the serrations. The Leek feels a little funny in hand and comes close to the fingers on close. My mini jyd feels great with thumb on spine but a little short handled without. But I really like them all. Looking forward to getting quite a few more of these quality blades from KAI.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseGoat View Post
    ...when it's time to choose a gentlemans' folder i choose a Leek (or Speedform II) over the Skyline every time.
    I wouldn't necessarily say the Skyline is a gents folder. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by italia View Post
    This will be an unpopular answer. The Leek. I just don't like the shape of the blade. Really don't like knives with blade edges that straight. Just my opinion - I know almost everyone likes Leeks.
    I can agree with you there.

Bought a One Ton at a gun show earlier in the month. Got it home and decided it wasn't for me. One hand opening was too difficult for my hands. I took it back and the dealer let me trade it for something else.

My other Kershaws - Blur, OSO Sweet, Half-Ton, Skyline, Baby Boa, Chive - are all great knives.

I don't really dislike any Kershaws - I dislike certain features about some of them, but have yet to own one that I really just didn't like.

I sold my Composite JYD-II because it was just too big, but I didn't really hate it at all.
    - EZB

I'll agree with the Leek. I just never warmed up to it that much. I got the Amazon G10 Speed Bump and couldn't warm up to the blade shape on it and ended up selling it.

My favs are my 350, 200, Rake, JYD II , and Blur. Oh, and of course my Red Skyline

Um....... the ones on preorder ha!

i agree on the 0350 its a knife for people who cant afford the 300

and i use mostly hammer grip for things like cardboard and it just doesnt feel good with that also the flatness is annoying aka i wish it was 3d contoured with how broad it is and the machine work leaves something to be desired especially seen on the jimping

and the fact that it comes with an edge greater than 40 deg inclusive is VERY annoying

also mine developed play up and down i theorize its due to the liner not having enough tension mind you this knife is lightly used as in i have opened it less than 200 times

if you like it than more power to ya but for me its meh

I couldn't warm up to the Skyline or the Shallot. They were as well made as I could have asked, and both featured steel and materials that I like, but neither fit my hands well at all and the shallot had a very strong recurve to the blade. I ended up selling them both after a short while.

ZT0200 too clunky for pocket carry.
    ZT0301 too large and recurve didn't do it for me.
    Cyclone too heavy for it's size. Loved the blade shape. A/O hard for me to engage.
    Mini Cyclone still too heavy for it's size. Loved its blade shape as well.
    ZT0551 blade too thick and although I did like the look in the beginning, never did warm up to it.

I would have to say the Shallot, it is a good looking knife, but the blade and knife were smaller than I expected and I didnt like the feel.

The Blur, Speedbump, JYD II, 0350, 0301 are all awesome knifes

Quote Originally Posted by tacdriver22mk2 View Post
    i agree on the 0350 its a knife for people who cant afford the 300
    And the Chive is the poor mans Scallion
    and the Scallion is the poor mans Leek
    and the Leek...

The Silver Spur. It was always just too big for my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Leek_Freak View Post
    The Silver Spur. It was always just too big for my hands.
    lol...

Thanks for all the responses guys! I just realized that when i started buying knives i really didn't know what i was looking for or what worked for me. Now i have a pretty good idea and that helps my purchasing decesions, hopefully this thread can help other people that might be overwhelmed with the shear number of KAI products out there.

Quote Originally Posted by italia View Post
    The Leek. I just don't like the shape of the blade. Really don't like knives with blade edges that straight. Just my opinion - I know almost everyone likes Leeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ono724 View Post
    I'll agree with the Leek. I just never warmed up to it that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick425 View Post
    Leek. Don't like how it fits in my hand and really don't like the fragile blade tip.
    I do not agree with you guys!
    Last edited by Leek_Freak; 01-28-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leek_Freak View Post
    I agree with you guys!
    Acceptance is the first step to recovery! :P

And I just don't like the scallion, the flick was not satisfying at all. The blade shape was a pain to sharpen and it doesn't ride well in my pocket!

Interesting I really like my packrat and needs work and my blurs I am sure at some point I will get a kershaw I don't like but so far batting 100%. Of interest is that I have fairly small hands. Guess everybody is a different fit ergonomically.

Traded a cold steel bushman I did not like for a spyderco UKPK that I love but thats kinda off topic LOL.

George in maine.
    Last edited by Fat Goat Forge; 01-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I like the CPM S110V in my Shallots, but I dislike the heavy all steel construction and the recurved blades.

This might offend some, but I chose the Skyline over the orange Zing as the latter had a weird 3D machined blade which I felt might be a hindrance to cutting cardboard or slicing bread and maybe harder to keep it clean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information