Thread: Custom sub-hilt daggers...

Custom sub-hilt daggers...

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi all. Ever since seeing the movie "Exposure" (see quote below) and admiring the Joe Kious Sub-Hilt dagger, I have always drooled over a custom Sub-Hilt knife. I've already bothered Les about this, and have admired and drooled over David Broadwell's Sub-hilt knife, but since I was looking for something similar to the Joe Kious, which is double-edged...

...I was wondering whether all you knowledgeable guys out there could help me locate other custom double-edged sub-hilt knives out there made my renowned and/or competent custom artists. Links to websites would be most welcome, and general information about makers also.

Thank you!

-Flood

------------------
    HERMES: "The Applegate Fairbarn is not bad...but for both offense and defense, the Randall 14 is good."
    HERMES: (Admiring the Joe Kious Sub-hilt dagger) "I'll take the Joe Kious for a friend."
    KNIFE-SELLER: "Excellent choice."

Flood

I'd strongly sugest you to take a look at Ricardo Romano's work. I have him making a subhilt dagger similar to the one you're looking for, with ironwood scales instead of the cocobolo that appear in the movie. Take a look at his website: www.cutromano.cjb.net
    or email him:
    cutromano@yahoo.com

Canis Lupus

[This message has been edited by Canis Lupus (edited 10-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Canis Lupus (edited 10-26-2000).]

Not exactly a dagger but a really nice subhilt!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high
    This ones on Ebay right now http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Search under seller: city.steel

------------------
    RHankins Available knives
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=205453

[This message has been edited by bobH (edited 10-26-2000).]

Does someone have a picture of the Kious Exposure Sub-hilt Dagger to post?

Canis Lupus

Flood,

You havent bothered me to the point of ordering a knife. I can get David to make a very similar knife. Of course we would upgrade the materials and use pressure fit in lieu of solder for the guard to blade joint.

Also the knife would feature a kyex sheath or a kydex lined cordura nylon sheath instead of a leather sheath. As they have tanic acid, maintain moisture and lose their shape over time.

Let me know.

------------------
    Les Robertson
    Custom Knife Entrepreneur

http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

Flood,

My name is Ricardo Romano, I'm a brazilian knifemaker, I want to say who I will be pleased in to make the Kious sub-hilt model knife. This knife will be similar to those seen at "Exposure". The materials I can use are the following: ATS-34 steel, hilt and sub-hilt in nickel-silver with silver solder, cocobolo handle and mirror polished blade. The blade hardeness are 60 Rc.

Recently I participated of the 2000 Atlanta Blade Show and, next year, I will be there again (See the magazines Blade and Knives Illustrated april 2000 issue, these issues have matters about my knives).

Thanks a lot, I will be waiting an answer.

Ricardo Romano Bernardes

Hey Ricardo,
    welcome to the forums !!!
    I'm glad to see another brazilian fellow around here.
    Se cuida, parceiro.

Canis Lupus

Hi Ricardo! Bienvenido al foro! Even if Spanish is not the official language in Brazil, your name just tempted me to greet you in that language.

I am sorry to say that I am not prepared to make a purchase just yet. It might be a while until I do. However, I checked out your page and you really have some wonderful looking knives. When I finally make a purchase for a sub-hilt dagger/knife, I will certainly have you in mind.

Keep up the wonderful work!

-Flood

Canis, thanks for the link. Ricardo has some very beautiful pieces which instantly caught my eye.

Les, thanks for offering to talk to David about possibly making the knife. Right now I'm in the process of making the transition from student to professional. As I said before, I figure in at least a year I will be spending serious cash ($400+) for a select few custom knives. Trust me, I do not want to waste your time asking you questions just for the heck of it, and you will certainly be the person I deal with then I make my first custom purchases. Let's just say at the moment I am educating myself as to makers, materials, prices, and every other detail that needs to be learned in making a smart purchasing decision. I consider your site and helpful comments essential in my "custom knife education".

Thanks a lot!

-Flood

Thread Information