Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bladeforums Knife - Chatting Thread

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    A lot of people don't realize the original purpose of micarta. I didn't until I worked as an electrical engineer.
    Yep. I deal with it a decent amount in asbestos abatements - a lot of old ebony board has asbestos in it, as does transite, which I'm sure you see alot of as well. I just wish I would stumble upon some ivory paper micarta - I'd be all over that! By the way, thank you for your integrity regarding rescinding your votes. I'm sorry the voting didn't go your way.

I'm not sorry and not upset at all. I just want to be fair and upfront
    Kevin

Nice bone pictures, Jake!!
    A few more votes (fingers crossed!)
    A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Micarta's over 100 years old. Not as old as celluloid, but way older than delrin. Although I'm not sure if it was used in knives at the time, it was around before machine-jigging of bone.
    Interesting... I hadn't realized it was that old.

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    A lot of people don't realize the original purpose of micarta. I didn't until I worked as an electrical engineer.
    Insulators I presume?
    Pro 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    Pro 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

We used it mainly to make switch boards.
    Kevin

6. Thank you, Charlie.

Bone handles are gaining ground in the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by supratentorial View Post
    Thank you, Charlie.

Bone handles are gaining ground in the poll.

Get out and vote for Bone!
    A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

YUP..... if my vote can make a choice I would prefer Bone other than micarta...now...where do I vote....
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbellclanman View Post
    YUP..... if my vote can make a choice I would prefer Bone other than micarta...now...where do I vote....
    Yep... if it can't be Ramshorn, let it be BONE!
    Pro 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    Pro 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

bone is making a very strong run.

Quote Originally Posted by meako View Post
    bone is making a very strong run.
    It really is. This has become a real head to head guys.
    I just wonder how bone will look on the whaler spike

Fausto

everything looks fab on a whaler or whaler spike!
    gene

White bone, white bone, white bone! Does anyone care I want white bone like the knife in my avatar?

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Since it seems stag was basically a joke option (due to $ limitations I presume), I would like to resend my vote as bone if I could.

I really thought everyone would jump in for stag when I saw it as an option...

Quote Originally Posted by The Government View Post
    Since it seems stag was basically a joke option (due to $ limitations I presume), I would like to resend my vote as bone if I could.

I really thought everyone would jump in for stag when I saw it as an option...
    I think the stag was an unpopular choice because it seems to be hit or miss these days. It has also been used on at least two of the forum knives

We were lucky in 2009 that one of the forum members provided the stag for the Schatt & Morgan Barlow and it was really nice.
    The 2008 Northwoods small Stockman was decent stag also (at least mine was).

Those were my reasons for not voting for stag. If we were assured that GEC would definitely be making the knives, and they could do it close to our price point, then it would have been my first choice. No one else is even close when it comes to having consistently good stag. It's also one of those materials that is awesome when done right or truly awful at the other end of the spectrum, without much in between. Micarta and bone are much more consistent.

If bone wins, some smooth yellow scales would be nice. Something along the lines of the Queen made Moore Maker knives or GEC's Yellow Rose line. We need a yeller handled Forum Knife.
    Dan

As far as I can see from the scale poll, around 220 people have already voted, that means the forthcoming knife will be the biggest order yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by willgoy View Post
    As far as I can see from the scale poll, around 220 people have already voted, that means the forthcoming knife will be the biggest order yet.....
    I bet it will be a continuing trend through the years!
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by willgoy View Post
    This seems to be the most evocative vote yet; it's possible when this one closes quite a few people will choose to opt out.

One leg up on Gus' short bus in Bastidville.
    Well for an ol' fogey, initially I really was not that thrilled with the popularity of micarta on the forum knife. I just am not into synthetic handles much.

I do have one by Reese, it is light, more than reasonably "bomb proof" and useful, but just does not have that traditional feel and look and has not taken on that look and feel as it has been carried and used. Bone and stag just get that warm thing going on if you carry them for a while. Micarta gets a little dullness to it's shine and a few marks taking on the look of old plastic. Still being light in weight and more stable has it's useful advantages. I have several fixed blades by Dozier and Brend so I am not anti Micarta. It is just not my favorite for a traditional pocket knife.

Now that I have thought about it for a few days, a wt in micarta with a cool shield would be a knife that would scream to be used and it does not scare me too much. So I am still in, unless it gets to a single blade. .

(I still like stag or bone better.
    "There is no further education to be gained by the second kick of a mule".

Please read the Forum rules.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information