Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bladeforums Knife - Chatting Thread

1. ADVERTISEMENT
    Thunderdome!

ummm i'm sure it's just an oversight but wheres the whaler option in the new poll?
    i mean yall might as well get on board cause the purty pitchures are drawn, no changes
    glad to see its moving along for all involved
    gene

Having the two top vote-getters go head-to-head really clears things up now, doesn't it?!

Wow.

~ P.

Thanks to the committee for quoting Mad Max...I always loved post holocaust scenarios
    As Stu pointed out, it's better if we use the knives pictured so far as a distant reference of what we might be getting, and not as actual possibilities...so I thought a more "realistic" picture could help (obviously an example, and made for laugh, even though it might be quite realistic):

Congress Jack people, it's your turn to vote!

Fausto

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    Having the two top vote-getters go head-to-head really clears things up now, doesn't it?!

Wow.

~ P.
    It's like deja vu all over again.

I think I'm developing a nervous tick. Maybe we should run a poll "Who won't buy a knife if their pattern isn't picked?" Or, "Who won't lynch the committee if their pattern isn't picked?" Or, "How 'bout we all vote Whaler and call it quits?"

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    "How 'bout we all vote Whaler and call it quits?"
    Now you've done it.

~ P.

I think I'm developing a nervous tick. Maybe we should run a poll "Who won't buy a knife if their pattern isn't picked?" Or, "Who won't lynch the committee if their pattern isn't picked?" Or, "How 'bout we all vote Whaler and call it quits?"
    I'll buy one regardless (a bunch more if its the below), I promise I won't lynch anyone, and a Whaler of a forum knife is probably they only way I'd buy one

Nice chop Fausto!!

I'd love to have a GEC made WT off a #48 frame. As for a single blade with nicer scales, I will say that I've bought 2 blade #48s in both Burnt Stag and Ram's Horn just at the $100 mark so hopefully a 2 blade WT with nice scales is within reach. In my opinion, the Fruitport's price shouldn't be looked at as an indicator of price for our knife as BRKT won't be doing the final grinds for us and the tooling should already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by quattromori View Post
    As Stu pointed out, it's better if we use the knives pictured so far as a distant reference of what we might be getting, and not as actual possibilities...so I thought a more "realistic" picture could help (obviously an example, and made for laugh, even though it might be quite realistic):

Thanks! I'm a bit concerned that a Bose and an Ohta(?) are used as the current "models" of what we're choosing. Even though our brains can make the distinction, our Wanters might have a harder time.

I'm grateful for the above effort from Fausto, and would appreciate additional, reasonable projections of both of the two finalists, the quality/finishing one can expect within the $100 ceiling.

~ P.

Blog Entries
    Will you guys please stop cloggin' up the pattern poll with them friggin votes for the WC Trapper, how the hell are we gonna get a Congress Jack for a forum knife if you guys keep messin' around with the poll with them bogus WC votes.
    "Of the knives I own, the ones I'd buy, are considerably less in number." (Ted)TAE 11-02-12
    RAT Pack #353
    SpyderNation#8

Why waste all this time?

Just make one the 2012 knife, and the other the 2013 knife.
    Looking for Irish/Congress Jacks, especially a Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by eisman View Post
    Why waste all this time?

Just make one the 2012 knife, and the other the 2013 knife.
    +1 for that idea!

I agree.
    Congress Jack for 2012, and Wharncliffe Trapper for 2013
    I just tried to sort out a 'reasonable' example of how the Congress Jack would come out, using GEC #61 pattern as a basis.
    As for the WT, I admit the 48 frame looks a bit on the "long and thin" side to me, but I never handled one. I'd just bet my dollar on a shorter frame.

Fausto

Hi Fausto,
    The #48 would be about a single spring and liner length thicker than your #25 and just under 1 inch longer. It isn't as wide though.

For the CJ, here's a pic of a half congress with tortoise shell acrylic (the only stainless #61 I'm missing ) I would also mention that GEC made 3 #61s where one of the pen blades was replaced with a spear blade. Something to consider...

finally some level headedness in all this trapper congress nonsense
    most people dont know but the whaler is the midpoint between the congress and the trapper, it's true i have independent verification and outstanding sources a fitting compromise!
    really glad its moving along for you guys though
    "whaler" kerley

Trand,
    thanks for your post.
    As for the CJ, well I guess the pen blade suits the pattern much more than a spear.
    As for the Trapper...as I said, I never handled the #48, although I've seen all your pics of them I'd just prefer it to be a little shorter (not really into carrying knives above 3,5"). Nice catch on all the 440C GEC's, I've sharpened my #25 and I'm very happy with it (will have to write the second part of the review one of these days).
    As for the whaler...Gene, you should design some kind of huge sheepsfoot to fit the whaler frame, so maybe you can convince us CJ fans that those (already done) tubes can actually match the knife we'll put into them..

Fausto

Quote Originally Posted by T. Erdelyi View Post
    Will you guys please stop cloggin' up the pattern poll with them friggin votes for the WC Trapper, how the hell are we gonna get a Congress Jack for a forum knife if you guys keep messin' around with the poll with them bogus WC votes.
    Now this actually made me LOL

If the poll ends this weekend the CJ dreamers need at least 30 votes just to get even.
    I hope its a tie.
    As for the whaler-"thar she blooows."

You knw, we could do a Whaler...We just downsize it a little, replace the marlinspike with a pen blade, make the main blade a wharncliff, sheath it in ivory micartoa, and there you go. But the Congress Jack is easier, almost the same thing, and better looking.

I like the idea of congress being in my pocket for a change, and no matter how much you carry a knife nobody's ever going to ask if that a whaler in your pocket.

eisman

Quote Originally Posted by eisman View Post
    You knw, we could do a Whaler...We just downsize it a little, replace the marlinspike with a pen blade, make the main blade a wharncliff, sheath it in ivory micartoa, and there you go. But the Congress Jack is easier, almost the same thing, and better looking.

I like the idea of congress being in my pocket for a change, and no matter how much you carry a knife nobody's ever going to ask if that a whaler in your pocket.
    i believe you have mistaken the whaler for a marlin spike, but it got me thinking what about a "whaler spike" like a marlin spike only more whaler
    you sir are an idea man!
    all hail whaler or whaler spike!!!!
    gene

gene;

And if done in baleen or oosik even more whaler! Could do it in Orca (black & white) and have a Killer Whaler! (Which pretty much needs a spike.)

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information